HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Interesting that a new power plant will be built as part of this. I guess that's what the building behind the hospital on South Street is. Dalhousie also has its Central Services Building.
I suspect that, because the expansion is P3 while the government will still own the existing buildings, they'll want to split power/heat supply so that the P3 entity is entirely responsible to provide heat and power to the expansion buildings and for maintenance and upkeep of its power plant. Meanwhile, the gov't/NSHA will continue to operate the existing buildings and power plant as-is.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:10 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ital-1.5742194

Construction on the parkade is supposed to begin in November.
  • It will now mostly front on Summer St
  • It will be prefabbed and assembled on site.
  • The hope is to have it completed in about a year.
  • Peggy Cameron, to the surprise of nobody, continues to complain about it.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
[*]Peggy Cameron, to the surprise of nobody, continues to complain about it.[/LIST]
Was there ever much discussion of the aesthetics or function of the parkade? It's hard to know what to make of that rendering and the airy greenish material (plant growth in 2030? maybe this can be exotic Spanish moss if climate changes really kicks in) that surrounds what I guess is supposed to be precast concrete.

In principle there is no reason why it couldn't be a good looking building or contribute something to the area. I wonder what local architects would come up with in a design competition. What if it offered displays, indoor and out, tying in with the museum? What if the pedway were itself a work of art?

In a semi-sensible city I think there would be a long-term plan to slowly expand the stadium at the Wanderer Grounds and structured parking next door for events on evenings and weekends could be a good part of that. But instead it's just a (literal) turf war fueled by the abstract principles of the Friends and some bureaucrats who want to avoid complaints about parking by the new hospital. Propose the ugliest possible low bid structure with a few extra floors on top that can be ritually sacrificed to the Friends and you're good.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
"I guess the two issues are reducing reliance on individual cars and preserving the little remaining green space on the Halifax Common," she told CBC News on Monday. "About 20 to 25 per cent of the Halifax Common is [already] used for parking and the vast majority of that is for hospitals."

She said it all removes green space.

"It's putting a pedway across Summer Street and it's still abdicating the role that the Nova Scotia Health Authority has in reducing reliance on vehicles," said Cameron.
This is one time when I'm 100 per cent in agreement with Cameron.

The city is trying to improve transit and reduce automobile dependence. Meanwhile the province is forever pouring money into suburban highways, big-box clinics at the very edge of Bayers Lake, and parking structures premised on the idea that the public health system is obliged to provide ample parking to every employee who chooses to drive to work, rather than trying to manage transport demand.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In principle there is no reason why it couldn't be a good looking building or contribute something to the area. I wonder what local architects would come up with in a design competition. What if it offered displays, indoor and out, tying in with the museum? What if the pedway were itself a work of art?

In a semi-sensible city I think there would be a long-term plan to slowly expand the stadium at the Wanderer Grounds and structured parking next door for events on evenings and weekends could be a good part of that. But instead it's just a (literal) turf war fueled by the abstract principles of the Friends and some bureaucrats who want to avoid complaints about parking by the new hospital. Propose the ugliest possible low bid structure with a few extra floors on top that can be ritually sacrificed to the Friends and you're good.
That's a good summation. You have the crazies like Peggy who do not want anything ever to touch the expanse of land in the middle of the city, even vital public institutions like the major tertiary care regional hospital and diagnostic facility in Atlantic Canada (perhaps she would prefer it to be in Moncton), and then you have the dullard PNS bureaucrats at Public Works who wouldn't know how to construct a good, aesthetically pleasing structure if their lives depended upon it. All they know is low-bid.

Sick people who need the hospital are disproportionately an older demographic. They are not able to walk, ride a bike, skateboard, or even take a bus in most cases to get to there, nor would you want them to (I suddenly have visions of a Transit bus heading down Robie St en route to the hospital with a placard saying "COVID BUS -STAY THE BLAZES AWAY").

The idea of using the Wanderers Grounds and surrounding area as the site for the inevitable stadium is not bad. The Bengal Lancers could/should be easily relocated elsewhere. They certainly are not a key use for that spot.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 7:35 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 7:40 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Wow. Did they change the location of the parking structure or are they building two?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 8:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Sadly lost the link but I recently saw a new panoramic shot of the Halifax skyline that prominently featured The George in the background next to downtown and a bunch of North End buildings. Seems like this hospital structure will actually be pretty prominent from some angles. And the views from The George might not be as nice.

Robie is going to feel dramatically different once this complex is built, and that end of Quinpool is going to be a lot busier with all the new workers, residents, and visitors.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 11:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Wow. Did they change the location of the parking structure or are they building two?
This came to a surprise to me. That garage pictured is huge — I doubt it would need supplementation. It also had the power plant on the site of the old CBC building instead of next to the museum. This is a really different design than what I’ve previously seen, but I like the more compact and dense footprint. Willow Tree intersection is going to look a whole lot different!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 12:13 PM

It appears as though the existing QEII hospital is virtually totally demolished. I wonder how they are going to manage to do that seamlessly and not impact patient care. It also seems pretty wasteful.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It appears as though the existing QEII hospital is virtually totally demolished. I wonder how they are going to manage to do that seamlessly and not impact patient care. It also seems pretty wasteful.
It would only appear that the parking garage is gone, which is what they had announced.

But it goes to show how massive this build out will be. It dwarfs the existing QE2 buildings

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 12:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks a damned sight better than the community vegetable patch that's been there for a while...………

I'm old enough to remember doing clerkship and internship rotations in the old Camp Hill Hospital that was on this site. What a change!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 12:51 PM

Wow... from a design standpoint, I like it.

That's quite an increase in floor area... I assume that, functionally, this will replace most if not all of the aging VG building down the street?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 1:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That's quite an increase in floor area... I assume that, functionally, this will replace most if not all of the aging VG building down the street?
The VG will be demolished (good riddance - it was ancient when I did my med school, internship and residency from 1979-89). I used to sleep in the old nurses residence when I was on call, and remember describing the room décor as "1940s bomb shelter"

I believe the CRC will remain. I'm not sure what will happen to the Ambulatory Care Centre (new addition built around 1982). There wouldn't however be much need for this facility if the remainder of the medical establishment is consolidated at the Infirmary site.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
It would only appear that the parking garage is gone, which is what they had announced.

But it goes to show how massive this build out will be. It dwarfs the existing QE2 buildings
I'm not seeing the existing building in either of these images.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not seeing the existing building in either of these images.
It's right there behind the smaller narrow building that is replacing the existing parking structure.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:14 PM

It's the white buildings on the top left.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
It's the white buildings on the top left.

So, the parkade I see is going on the existing CBC site? I had assumed what I was looking at there was the one the big brouhaha was about next to the Museum. So now there are two parkades? Those renderings just don't make sense to me. The buildings don't seem to make sense given the amount of land available and leave lots of unanswered questions, like how does the current Emerg dept fit, and what happened to the existing power plant for another.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
So, the parkade I see is going on the existing CBC site? I had assumed what I was looking at there was the one the big brouhaha was about next to the Museum. So now there are two parkades? Those renderings just don't make sense to me. The buildings don't seem to make sense given the amount of land available and leave lots of unanswered questions, like how does the current Emerg dept fit, and what happened to the existing power plant for another.
I believe the parking garage next to the museum got axed and replaced.

CBC building is gone, new parking garage will be the first thing built. New power plant will be going up next to the new parking garage and the old one will be torn down.

Old Parking garage will then come down and a new building going up in it's place. Existing emergency department will stay as is. You can see a road going around the new building to the existing emergency dept.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth