HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:34 PM

That's pretty exciting. In my head of all the possible blocks to develop this one will have the biggest impact on density along with the lot at the NEC of Fillmore and Central.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:41 PM

This is great news and along time coming since the first RFP was cancelled. That corner is going to look great with all the latest projects around it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:54 PM
Modulator

So do we know a final number on this? Medistar's site is again showing the specs at 37 floors and including the hotel portion which was previously removed. This would put the roof back at the 400' mark.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:06 PM

I hope you're right Crested. I read somewhere that it's 33 stories at 366' but again here's wishing that it's 400'

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:12 PM

For some reason I imagined this would start construction in ‘21. What a pleasant surprise!

Also, will both towers be constructed simultaneously? Can we expect two new cranes in the skyline in the coming year?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:19 PM

Yeah I have been waiting for Medistar to update the height but they haven't. I know it was stated they lowered the height to 32 stories but on their website it's still 37 stories. I am very excited about this development and hope that it's still over 400' feet tall. It would be an amazing addition to the skyline. Here is hoping Astra is built too.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Yeah I have been waiting for Medistar to update the height but they haven't. I know it was stated they lowered the height to 32 stories but on their website it's still 37 stories. I am very excited about this development and hope that it's still over 400' feet tall. It would be an amazing addition to the skyline. Here is hoping Astra is built too.
Honestly, dropping the hotel portion doesn't make sense to me with the Superbowl, NCAA men's and a possibly the NCAA women's all coming up. I'm pretty sure if they do indeed are able to break ground by end of this year, they can get finished with the main tower in time for the Superbowl. And if we don't get the Women's Final Four, this will not be the last time Phoenix see's championships played here.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:43 PM

Yeah especially with the city's desire to add more hotel units downtown. That was surprise. I know the virus caused some issues but there are other hotel developments still happening like the Edith and possibly the Thunderbird Legacy project "The Blue".

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 2:59 PM

I guess it's hard to complain about 32-stories. The primary building looks nice. I am not a fan of the second one. Hopefully it turns out better than it looks. Also hope there is some decent retail. And by that I guess I mean restaurant space haha.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 5:47 AM

Yeah 32 stories is great for that lot. I think I am being greedy and want more but with all this development I can't complain. I know it will lead to more development in the future.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 7:52 PM

Started this thread in 2014.......FINALLY, we have construction imminent!!!!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:03 PM

This is one project I can say I’m honestly more impressed/excited with the final proposal than the initial proposal.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
This is one project I can say I’m honestly more impressed/excited with the final proposal than the initial proposal.
Well minus the hotel. But yes, I'm more excited about this than probably any other project. What it will mean to the area is what's most exciting. Can revitalize it and with Kenect across the street lots of new residents and can hopefully bring the retail scene back to life there.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Well minus the hotel. But yes, I'm more excited about this than probably any other project. What it will mean to the area is what's most exciting. Can revitalize it and with Kenect across the street lots of new residents and can hopefully bring the retail scene back to life there.
Oh yeah, the missing hotel is only one of few shortcomings but the initial proposal I was referring was the original RFP by Smithgroup. The wait has been long for this site and if every thing pans out, it was definitely worth it.

Along with more potential retail, I’m also looking forward to Civic Space Park finally being utilized by residents nearby.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Oh yeah, the missing hotel is only one of few shortcomings but the initial proposal I was referring was the original RFP by Smithgroup. The wait has been long for this site and if every thing pans out, it was definitely worth it.

Along with more potential retail, I’m also looking forward to Civic Space Park finally being utilized by residents nearby.
It would be cool to see a small coffee and sandwich stand that was open daytimes in the part they have throughout many parks in Europe.

While we're dreaming... is the AE England building used for anything? that'd make an awesome cafe or even small brewery.

Would love to see the security building at least have ground floor restaurant/retail even if the upstairs is government offices. The Pizza hut across the street looks very crappy and that sandwich shop didn't make it, so there's some vacant retail there.

Also which that MAG building would be torn town. It's so heinous, but that's probably a longer term dream.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
While we're dreaming... is the AE England building used for anything? that'd make an awesome cafe or even small brewery.

Also which that MAG building would be torn town. It's so heinous, but that's probably a longer term dream.
I was in the AE England Building 2 weeks ago for Covid testing, don’t think it’s used for much else. Think the basement has been vacant too since Fair Trade vacated.

I’m not so much against the MAG building as I am against the small surface lot next to it, between the student gym. Put something in there narrow and dense!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:37 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=SflOtMb-ing

Not sure if this was already posted...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 8:36 PM

Does anyone know the latest height figures of both buildings? I know they keep fluctuating...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 10:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
Does anyone know the latest height figures of both buildings? I know they keep fluctuating...
If built without the hotel portion, the main tower looks like it will be somewhere in the 350' to 360' range give or take. If built with the hotel (which I don't think it will be), it would've been 406' + parapet making it around 420'ish.

The second tower IIRC will be 200' and I don't think that height has changed any.

Edit: Since there is some back and forth on this (even though we already had 1 forum member confirm it), I decided to email Medistar. Received a reply back with a resounding "No" on the hotel portion...probably getting tired of people asking.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Dec 28, 2020 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 1:49 PM

That's a little disappointing, but I'm still happy for a 350+ footer to go in that space.

Besides the area being fenced off, I haven't seen much activity on the site. I wonder if this project or Astra will begin first.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest