HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 5:24 AM

There's data for that: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/813474

Quote:
In 2021 the traffic fatality rate per 100,000 registered vehicles continued
to be the highest for passenger car occupants (12.53), followed by pickup
occupants (8.59), SUV occupants (7.04), and van occupants (6.88)
Quote:
When a passenger car and a light truck hit head-on in a fatal traffic crash
in 2021, an occupant was 3.1 times more frequently killed in the
passenger car than in the light truck.
Quote:
Among passenger vehicle occupants killed in 2021 by vehicle type, the
percentages of fatalities in vehicles that rolled over in traffic crashes was
highest for pickups (41%), followed by SUVs (37%), vans (26%), and
passenger cars (21%)
etc.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 12:05 PM

Anecdotally, I have been struck (figuratively) by what seems to be a growing number of rollovers in traffic crashes in recent years. I cannot say that I have noticed pickups doing that very often because I suppose so many of them are very heavy, but ones with a high ride height like 4WD pickups or with aftermarket modifications likely add to that stat for them. But SUVs and CUVs seem to roll over at the drop of a hat. It is not unusual for one of them to join the upside-down club at the slightest provocation.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 12:48 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising given how many large pickups and SUVs there are now that pose a thread to smaller vehicles. Would be interesting to see how much the overall fatality rate would drop if the average vehicle size were smaller.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising given how many large pickups and SUVs there are now that pose a thread to smaller vehicles. Would be interesting to see how much the overall fatality rate would drop if the average vehicle size were smaller.
It's hard to say, as it's not good for the occupants of both vehicles when two vehicles of the same mass collide. It's just that the onslaught of huge trucks/SUVs heavily weigh (literally) the level of impact to one vehicle over another. Perhaps if one were to dig into 1990s data, when vehicles had mostly the same safety systems that they have today, but before trucks and SUVs ballooned in size, and SUVs hadn't gained the level of popularity of today, there might be a hint as to how that would go.

To a pedestrian or cyclist, it's still not good to be hit by a small car, but at least you would tend to go over it, rather than being hit by, basically, a moving wall.

As Keith mentions, though, the bane of taller vehicles is higher center of gravity, which will tend to cause rollovers when a car would stay on all fours. EVs with heavy batteries in the floor area should help to reduce the rollover issue as we move forward. Then we may be talking about thermal runaway, but let's hope they solve that issue before it becomes the next problem that we are talking about.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 1:20 PM

[QUOTE=OldDartmouthMark;10071000 EVs with heavy batteries in the floor area should help to reduce the rollover issue as we move forward. Then we may be talking about thermal runaway, but let's hope they solve that issue before it becomes the next problem that we are talking about.[/QUOTE]

Speaking about Thermal runaway, a former co worker was also a Fire Station Captain that had training responsibilities for a region of Dartmouth. The Fire service now have an extensive training syllabus for EV car Fires. You can't hit them with water, waste of resources. Smothering with dense foam like an aircraft fire seems to be the solution. I have heard that the City of Hamburg in Germany have two twenty foot Smother containers ready to go for EV fire situations. Drop the flaming EV into the Container, inject the foam and wait.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 4:50 PM

Primaris REIT is buying Halifax Shopping Centre and the Annex for $370 million. Deal closes on November 30th, 2023.

https://investors.primarisreit.com/n...hCZYRfty9PuPNs

Looks like they are expanding their presence in Atlantic Canada. They currently manage McAllister Place in Saint John NB, and Regent Mall in Fredericton NB. There is also mention in their press release of multiple discussions for further acquisitions. I can see them wanting to buy up all the bigger malls here in Atlantic Canada over the next few years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General