HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
So it looks like that old used car dealership and the small single storey buildings on Portage between Lipton and Banning will be coming down in favor of a new 2 storey block long building.

The building is right up to the sidewalk with parking in the back. This is opposite DeLucas directly west of the Shoppers. Down side is that it doesn't look like a stunner. Hard to tell what the finishes will be, but my first impression is your typical office park style building like in the Terracon sites.
Do you know if the new building will be subdivided into small units? I hope so...it would be a shame to lose 5 small businesses and end up with a block-long credit union or something like that.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 5:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Nice. I live on Banning south of Ellice and I am loving the moves being made in this area lately. Sucks that you say it won’t be pretty but at least it sounds proper for the street. I used to spend every Saturday for many years in the sticky bun shoppe that used to be in the center unit. The building is definitely crumbling inside and out. Will be great to see something fresh even if it’s basic AF.
didnt food for folks take over johnies buns space?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 5:50 PM

It sounds like a change for the better, but it is vexing that just about every new development on Portage between downtown and Polo Park from the last 40+ years has tended to be super drab looking. The infamous "tree" building, the provincial office building across the street, the new Peguis development, the condos on the Palomino site, you name it.

I'm not expecting prize winning design along that strip but you'd think we could get something at least a little better.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 6:02 PM

What is this tree building you speak of

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 6:08 PM

Just realized for the first time that Ruby and Banning are the same street. Took only forty years!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
What is this tree building you speak of
The one in tree's avatar... the WRHA building on the north side of Portage near Broadway.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 6:28 PM

Ahh

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 7:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ahh
broadway and portage

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
didnt food for folks take over johnies buns space?
Yeah

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 12:55 AM

Will be sad to lose that 100+ year old little CRU buidling at the corner. Seemed to always be full with nice start-up, colourful local businesses. The rest of the block screams redevelopment so i guess that might even out the loss of this building in the end...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 1:44 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Do you know if the new building will be subdivided into small units? I hope so...it would be a shame to lose 5 small businesses and end up with a block-long credit union or something like that.
Looks like a multiple unit building. Lots of “Signage” labels on the elevation drawings.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 8:28 PM
surely you agree with me

That’s great news. More storefronts the better.

I love the Tree Building. Like the Brutalism of the PSB, it may not be beautiful but there is a power in its starkness and it perfectly represents an important era in the history of modern architecture. One day that drab acrylic stucco, industrial concrete block, opaque black curtain wall entry and perfect monotony of the punched windows on the facade will be nominated for heritage protection.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That’s great news. More storefronts the better.

I love the Tree Building. Like the Brutalism of the PSB, it may not be beautiful but there is a power in its starkness and it perfectly represents an important era in the history of modern architecture. One day that drab acrylic stucco, industrial concrete block, opaque black curtain wall entry and perfect monotony of the punched windows on the facade will be nominated for heritage protection.
On the bright side, with Winnipeg ever-growing as a film production city, that building could star as the head office, nay, home of a post apocalyptic antagonist. Maybe if Austin Powers runs a 4th cut...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Looks like a multiple unit building. Lots of “Signage” labels on the elevation drawings.
Good news, thanks

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:40 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 6:12 AM
There is always a way

The new windows are a massive improvement, but I cant help but feel it's sort of missing something.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:19 PM

The new windows are a giant improvement. I always used to think those tiny windows made it look like a jail. Now it kind of just looks like a perfectly good Canadian government building lol. Those windows are also a nice size. The views of the Hyrdo building and TNS will be really nice.

Fingers crossed they eventually do something with the surface parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post

Fingers crossed they eventually do something with the surface parking lot.
Wasn't that location supposed to be a new WCLC headquarters building that was cancelled when Pallister came into office? Does that mean the province owns it or it was never owned by the province and was just going to be purchased for the proposed structure?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Wasn't that location supposed to be a new WCLC headquarters building that was cancelled when Pallister came into office? Does that mean the province owns it or it was never owned by the province and was just going to be purchased for the proposed structure?
Was supposed to be Liquor & Lotteries. When it got cancelled, it was sold along with the Medical Arts building to Timbercreek. I've heard they do intend to develop it eventually, but not imminent plans as of yet.

I hope the podium gets a complete overhaul once the tower work is done.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 3:56 PM

^ Yeah, I'm neither here nor there with respect to the existing tower. The current state is fine, more would be better (podium). But I'm not expecting miracles with regard to the Medical Arts Building.

The real measure of that development, to me at least, is how soon they can get something built on the surface lot. Even a 3 storey building would be a huge improvement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan