HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:10 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post

sept 22nd

to be clear the blank wall shown here is the lot line up against another future building
So much better than that abandoned drive-thru bank branch. This will continue to energize that stretch of Western, which has seen an incredible amount of densification over the last few years, especially a bit south of there between the blue line stop and North Ave. The 606 really helped catalyze the area.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Oh the memories!! Thanks friends of the parking lot!!

Now no Bears and no museum.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...GwRwZkPoPREEd8
I was pretty strongly in favor of putting it on the lakefront parking lot at the time, but also wish Lucas had a bit more flexibility once the battle was on. I think the south end of The 78 abutting the river and Ping Tom Park could have been a cool spot for it, for example. Oh well, his billion dollar museum so his decision, I suppose.

Now that he (and likely the Bears) are gone, I strongly favor turning that parking lot into a great lawn, maybe with a hill on the west side to shield it from LSD a bit. Combine that area, Soldier Field, Huntington Bank Pavilion (relocated to the north side of Soldier Field), and perhaps occasionally Lakeside Center as a staging area for most of the city’s big summer events, and free up parks - including Grant Park - for residents and visitors.

Then Grant Park is freed up to transform: remove or narrow some of the roads, turn some of the empty fields into landscaped park, and make plans to eventually build over the railroad tracks.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
^ Deputy Mayor for Economic Development, Samir Mayekar, seemed to have been pretty ticked off by the article and has been tweeting all day about all the projects the administration has accomplished. It's kinda funny to watch, but also interesting to see all the projects under construction at the moment: https://twitter.com/chicagosamir
is the crain's article factually incorrect? I really dont know.

the current mayor it seems has no problem lashing out at the individuals/publications/entities that present even the slightest critique of chicago even though they are mostly supporting of her administration.

in terms of what the economic dev guy was posting, I do know that some of those projects were kicked off under the last mayor, but I guess with fuzzy political logic you can claim them as your own successes.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
if this was in the west loop, we'd say TOO MUCH ORANGE
Texture of materials and context of the building go a long way. "Orange" seen in its more natural tones found in brick and rust inherently has subtle variations that create texture and pattern. When mimicked well it looks great. But it can easily look cheap & instantly outdated if VE'd.

If someone can't see how the above design and other good uses of "orange" are different than the flat orange panels seen on on 160 Elizabeth and the new Hyatt on North & Ashland, that's fine, but I wouldn't want them designing my home or really any buildings in the cities I love

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:58 PM

Fucking. Yuck.

New Cold Storage Facility That Would Replace McKinley Park Building Would Be ‘Another Blank Wall On Ashland,’ Neighbors Say

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/09...neighbors-say/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:13 PM
1st Ward

I don't the existing warehouse is exactly attractive enough to warrant fighting for its preservation. The red brick warehouse building on the southeast corner of Ashland and 38th certainly is, but the rending makes it appear that it will not be demolished for this project (you can see a red brick building on the far left on the rendering).

Streetview link:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-87.6652352

That said, I am all for preventing more blank white/grey concrete walls that create dead zones along major thoroughfares like Ashland. Either put up a mock facade, murals/some art, or move this project to a different area.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

Fair question... If that lenghth of wall was a green living wall covered in plantings or covered in Wrigley style ivy would we think of it as being blank?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:08 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Fair question... If that lenghth of wall was a green living wall covered in plantings or covered in Wrigley style ivy would we think of it as being blank?
But this is Chicago, half the year it would be blank/dead. From casual observations of past living walls, unless they're being wallscaped (?) the vines don't tend to climb the whole height or fill the whole space. It would be a cool idea to have the living wall concept and a mural underneath is for the winter. Could have a neat effect when only parts are being covered depending on the design.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:27 PM

It’s no surprise. When you think of cold storage buildings the last century, they all look awful. Even the current google HQ would’ve been considered an architectural blight in the 1920’s since it was an unadorned brick box. Current buildings are made of thick insulated panels that are extremely efficient. But they’re also really expensive. So if you go with a manufacturer that makes different interlocking products to at least mimic the original facade it will come at a very costly premium. They probably find Ashland to not be worth the extra cost.

My understanding is the city did push for partial preservation. They did their job, but ultimately it’s not mandatory.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 5:20 PM

Don't love it but decent murals would soften the blow quite a bit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I don't the existing warehouse is exactly attractive enough to warrant fighting for its preservation. The red brick warehouse building on the southeast corner of Ashland and 38th certainly is, but the rending makes it appear that it will not be demolished for this project (you can see a red brick building on the far left on the rendering).

Streetview link:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-87.6652352
There are 3 buildings back to back here:
3801 S Ashland (2 story red brick, former Imperial Campbell Branch)
3813 S Ashland (3 story red brick with tower, former Continental Can Co)
3835 S Ashland (4 story concrete frame).

The cold storage warehouse will take out 3813 and 3835. I think most people would agree that 3813 is an attractive building that is worth saving especially with the distinctive Gothic tower. 3801 is not part of the plan, but is currently vacant.

There's also a 4th building around the corner at 1511 W 38th (former Rockwell-Barnes Co) that is pretty nice. Currently used as a wine cellar by Hart Davis Hart Wine Co.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:20 PM

It's kind of too late, unfortunately, they already knocked down other decent warehouse buildings to the north; replaced by the same kind of shit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:34 PM

ugly af, sad the south and west sides always gets the shitty industiral stuff. bet this wouldn't fly in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. Mckinley Park deserves better.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:52 PM

Has anyone heard from Harry lately? I have not seen any posts or his great pics in a long time. Hope he is ok.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 6:05 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Has anyone heard from Harry lately? I have not seen any posts or his great pics in a long time. Hope he is ok.
I follow him on Flickr and it seems that he just hasn’t been visiting/taking pictures downtown recently. He posted photos last week.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harryrcarmichael/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:28 PM

Heard from a friend that used to work at 225 west randolph that the owners are not extending any leases and plan to turn the entire building into residential. Havent read anything about it yet anywhere else.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:21 PM

^ Wouldn't be surprised. Onni bought the building for $166 million and plan to spend another $150 million on renovations. Since they specialize in residential, this would be the most likely redevelopment plan

Article: https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2022...n-development/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:47 PM

Nice! The building is a little narrower compared to most loop office buildings and relatively open views at the moment so a good candidate for residential. It’s these types office buildings I was most concerned about post COVID that would struggle to keep office tenants

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 6:43 PM

WGN is reporting today that the mayor is looking to bring 1,000 residential units to Lasalle Street, perhaps focused on student housing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:08 PM

Great, hopefully this spurs some more residential development downtown. The N Franklin site across the street is a great candidate for a tall hotel + residential tower... dare I say supertall?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development