HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 8:38 PM

CityPlace: Block 22 (Signature Towers) - Concord Adex, 75s + 64s)

Some new renderings

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:01 PM

This just might happen

East Bayfront: Innovation Centre (Queens Quay E @ Jarvis, Waterfront Toronto, ?s, ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafaldaBoy View Post
Came across Diamond Schmitt's design for the Waterfront Innovation Centre:

http://backstage.worldarchitecturene...&selection=all

Pictures courtesy of World Architecture News:

Thanks to MafaldaBoy @ UT

Last edited by Automation Gallery; Dec 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 12:27 AM

thats not an actual proposal that will get built, its a failed entry into a design competition in which we have yet to see the winner.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 3:33 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Hmmm, well, if the winning design is better than that, we have a lot to look forward to!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Hmmm, well, if the winning design is better than that, we have a lot to look forward to!
Don't kid yourself, in this city it is never the best design that wins. It's always the one that least offends its dear citizens conservative sensibilities.... Or the cheapest , take your pick.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 11:34 PM
The New Republic

Not again. Almost every time a get excited over a proposal it turns out to be a 'suggestion' as to what it might look like, gets watered down to the point that I've lost interest, or falls through. I can count on one hand the number of proposals I loved that actually happened.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 7:21 PM

That's Toronto for ye. Off-topic, but look at the absurd Pearson-Union link, affordable only to the business class at $27.50/person. Brilliant thinking, as usual in this city. A city councillor (I think Matlow) was going to make a motion to set prices at well under $10, but I don't know what happened to that. In so many ways, administratively, this city is a joke.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 10:58 PM

a city run motion would be useless on a provincial project. The train is entirely in control of the Province, the City has nothing to do with it.

Fares are also $19 if you have a PRESTO card, which in a few years anyone who uses transit even occasionally will have, and something that anyone who uses a transit agency other than the TTC has today There have been 1.4 million of the cars issued. There is also talk of integrating a TTC fare into the price eventually, but that couldn't be negotiated in time for opening day.

The effective fare is $19, not $27.50, which is right where I long expected it to be, between $15 and $20. The only people who should be paying the $27.50 are tourists. Even then, it would be cheaper for them to purchase a $6 PRESTO card than to pay the cash fare. Round trip including buying a PRESTO card would be $44 instead of $55.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
a city run motion would be useless on a provincial project. The train is entirely in control of the Province, the City has nothing to do with it.
Yes, but an overwhelming council vote would have exerted a lot of pressure on the out-of-touch Metrolinx suits to do the right thing. They would have ignored it at their peril.
Quote:
The effective fare is $19, not $27.50, which is right where I long expected it to be, between $15 and $20. The only people who should be paying the $27.50 are tourists. Even then, it would be cheaper for them to purchase a $6 PRESTO card than to pay the cash fare. Round trip including buying a PRESTO card would be $44 instead of $55.
Why should tourists pay $27.50? What a gouging introduction to this city! In many other cities one pays a regular transit fare to travel from the airport into the city.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 1:25 AM

Toronto is expensive, but hardly alone. Also not listed here is the "Train + shuttle" option for Toronto which is $2.70.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:26 AM

Thanks for posting the graph. Indeed there are others almost as exorbitant as TO's, but most are instead well under $10, which is within what I would consider reasonable. Many are $4 and less, which seems optimal.
I'm surprised the Logan and JFK connections are so expensive, as both, especially the former, are relatively close to their downtowns, and NYC's subway actually goes to JFK.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:17 PM

most of the under $4 options include a "shuttle", I.E. a bus. Toronto also has an option in that range already, with a Metro + Shuttle option for $2.70.

and of course it fails to mention travel times, which vary widely. Chicago requires an hour long subway ride, but hey, its cheap. UPx is 25 minutes.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 12:45 AM
The New Republic

We have other options at Pearson, but lets call a spade a spade. UP is very expensive and it is an outlier. Not only is it the most expensive on that graph, but you need Presto to get that rate. My mum flying into Toronto will have to fork over $54 (2 ways) if she wants to take it. That's obscene.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:54 AM

Now of course on the London side of things (you originally lived in London If I recall correctly, going to presume your mum does as well), she will be paying $38 to get to the airport...

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/book...cket-selection

she could also purchase a PRESTO card upon landing and save $10.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:57 AM

Brimley and Progress, Scarborough Town Centre:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Now of course on the London side of things (you originally lived in London If I recall correctly, going to presume your mum does as well), she will be paying $38 to get to the airport...

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/book...cket-selection

she could also purchase a PRESTO card upon landing and save $10.
Why does everyone always forget about Heathrow Connect, which is a lot more similar to the UPE than Heathrow Express is? Heathrow Connect costs £9.90 ($18), and no fare card purchase is required.

https://www.heathrowconnect.com/tickets

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:06 PM

Heathers connect would be the equivalent of the GO train, making local stop along the way. Express is an express service operating from the airport to downtown with the explicit purpose of offering a premium line for fast travel to the core.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Heathers connect would be the equivalent of the GO train, making local stop along the way. Express is an express service operating from the airport to downtown with the explicit purpose of offering a premium line for fast travel to the core.
Heathrow Express covers the 25km distance between Paddington and Heathrow in 15 minutes while Heathrow Connect takes 26 minutes. The UPE covers the 20km distance between Union and Pearson in 25 minutes.

Heathrow Express is nonstop between Paddington and Heathrow. Heathrow Connect and the UPE have multiple stops between the airport and downtown.

If there was a nonstop service between Union and Pearson, this would be equivalent to Heathrow Express. However, this service doesn't exist and the UPE is a lot more similar to the Heathrow Connect in terms of travel time, stops, and price. There is no GO Train to the airport, and the GO train doesn't even run counterpeak so you can't say that it is the equivalent of a GO Train.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
most of the under $4 options include a "shuttle", I.E. a bus. Toronto also has an option in that range already, with a Metro + Shuttle option for $2.70.

and of course it fails to mention travel times, which vary widely. Chicago requires an hour long subway ride, but hey, its cheap. UPx is 25 minutes.
Chicago Midway to the Loop is about 20minutes on the L-train and costs about $2.50.
The cost of the Pearson Express is extortionate and not justifiable. A one way trip from Oshawa to Union is double the time and more than half the price.. If you get the occasional express train from Oshawa, it's only an extra 15minutes without any additional fare for the time saving.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I'm surprised the Logan and JFK connections are so expensive, as both, especially the former, are relatively close to their downtowns, and NYC's subway actually goes to JFK.
Have you ever tried to take the subway from manhattan to JFK? I did once, it's brutal, but to be fair so is the ride in a taxi!!
As for Boston, the subway is a cheap alternate and not long journey to get from Logan to downtown. I, too, am surprised to see the cost of the ferry and shuttle so high. I can't see it being a favourable option price wise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations