HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:45 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Found this link on the zzap website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COCK...ature=youtu.be
What I also find neat is the plan for the wider area. Looks like in the years to come we will see more of these pedestrian-friendly developments in that locale.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Another aspect of this area is that actual density is quite low at the larger scale because there's so much empty land. It is funny how this development goes back to the 70's and 80's but it's next to what is maybe 0.5 square km or so of undeveloped land then there's more new construction beyond that.

I searched a bit for future development plans and this came up. Regency Park extension to Washmill:

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...esentation.pdf

The worst planning is perhaps the public stuff around Halifax West, the library, Canada Games place, bus terminal, etc. Lots of stuff there but they don't connect well from a pedestrian perspective and there are a lot of vague empty spaces. In principle, some of the spaces could be filled in with new buildings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:24 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Another aspect of this area is that actual density is quite low at the larger scale because there's so much empty land. It is funny how this development goes back to the 70's and 80's but it's next to what is maybe 0.5 square km or so of undeveloped land then there's more new construction beyond that.

I searched a bit for future development plans and this came up. Regency Park extension to Washmill:

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...esentation.pdf

The worst planning is perhaps the public stuff around Halifax West, the library, Canada Games place, bus terminal, etc. Lots of stuff there but they don't connect well from a pedestrian perspective and there are a lot of vague empty spaces. In principle, some of the spaces could be filled in with new buildings.
The area bound by Lacewood/Regency Park/Dunbrack is really service heavy but like you said, really car dependant. Putting it in terms of the peninsula, an equivalent area would stretch from Robie to Hollis, between Sackville and South.

Odd shaped lots, big setbacks on lots and surface parking take up further space and reinforce the feeling of distance between places, on top of the lack of connection between the streets that do exist.

For example: to get from the Greenpark Close buildings to the theatre - which is right across the highway - it's a 7 minute drive over to Lacewood and up Chain Lake Drive. There's a trail through the woods, but unless you're looking to cut corners and scale your way down a rocky hill, it's a 25-minute walk to go 350m.

Speaking of missed connections, the Halifax Mainland Linear Parkway not liking up to the COLT/BLT is one of them. I had no idea the trail existed until noticing it on Google Maps. Connecting these trails would really open up the ability for residents to commute to the peninsula, or just enjoy the trail without having to drive to a trailhead.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Speaking of missed connections, the Halifax Mainland Linear Parkway not liking up to the COLT/BLT is one of them. I had no idea the trail existed until noticing it on Google Maps. Connecting these trails would really open up the ability for residents to commute to the peninsula, or just enjoy the trail without having to drive to a trailhead.
The lack of a trail or even sidewalk on the Dunbrack Street overpass is the culprit there. Is that one of the overpasses likely to be replaced for a future 102 widening or will the six-lane section stop short of it?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
The lack of a trail or even sidewalk on the Dunbrack Street overpass is the culprit there. Is that one of the overpasses likely to be replaced for a future 102 widening or will the six-lane section stop short of it?
I think this would be a reasonable option, given the alternative is a tunnel or overpass over the 102. There's a greenway under construction along Dunbrack from the COLT to Walter Havill Drive right now. I imagine the plan is to eventually connect it to the existing pathway that ends South of Dunbrack & Washmill.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:06 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I don’t know where else to put this . The Round Tower in Clayton Park has had some activity the last couple of days. Moving trucks have been taking appliances out of the underground parking. I wonder if they are about to start demolition????

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 5:32 PM
Halifax Promoter!

https://www.hazelview.com/developmen...willett-street We received a pamphlet in the mail today on this.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
https://www.hazelview.com/developmen...willett-street We received a pamphlet in the mail today on this.
I got a quick glance driving by and it looked like there was a site trailer in back. The site says demolition is to begin Q2 2021.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:35 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Yes, there is a trailer, I just noticed it today. I live across the street. The description here should be changed to reflect the changes in the proposal - now 2, 17 storey towers.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The site says demolition is to begin Q2 2021.
Hmmm...well, seeing's how we're now into Q3, they got some catchin' up to do.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:20 PM

Sigh... there goes Halifax's answer the the Capitol Records building...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 12:52 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Lindsay Construction signs are on each side of the driveway for 210 and 214 Willet St. (they misspelled Willett).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 2:06 PM
Halifax Promoter!

In the back of the round tower, all the old toilets are piled up.... They have been doing a bit of land clearing near the front entrance. I wonder if this is to make a flat base to install a crane to hoist the equipment up to the roof to knock the building down as they did with the old Citadel Hotel and the building at the Willow Tree.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 10:19 PM
The New Republic

Oh dear. I prefer what's standing there now. It gives the neighbourhood character. This new proposal is a bland forgettable mid-rise. It's 'Nowheres-Ville, Canada'.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 11:36 AM

The older fencing around the low rise part of this site has been removed and concrete barriers are being placed. These typically go with roughly 5 feet of fencing or hoarding. I suspect that is a sign that structural demolition is soon. I don't think I've seen any abatement activity in the low-rise section yet.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 8:57 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I live across the street and could hear lots happening today, but couldn't see anything. This explains what was going on. I am anxious to see the demolition.... I just hope they use the machinery to take it down from the roof.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I live across the street and could hear lots happening today, but couldn't see anything. This explains what was going on. I am anxious to see the demolition.... I just hope they use the machinery to take it down from the roof.
Dexter is doing the demolition and likely site excavation, they seem to always use the floor by floor demolition method. I believe on other projects they use temporary bracing for the floor slabs. If you spot steel supports within the structure, its a good sign the gear will be hoisted on top soon.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 9:50 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Yesterday and last night, there was activity. I couldn't see it exactly, but it looked like a crane being brought in on a flatbed and in the evening a huge flatbed truck was backing in the driveway. I didn't see what that was. Maybe demolition will start soon.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 11:39 AM

At least one section of the low-rise has been demolished as of this morning.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 11:03 PM
Halifax Promoter!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184867.../shares/2R00pj
I hope this works, it shows the partial demolition of 214 Willett St. yesterday... They were still doing demo today. https://www.flickr.com/photos/184867...posted-public/

Last edited by teddifax; Feb 19, 2022 at 5:48 PM. Reason: add picture link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs