HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:09 AM

^A reusable and revenue creating resource, a fine use of taxpayer dollars.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:13 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What a fine use of taxpayer dollars.
Yes, asking people to bring their own fold up chair would have made more sense.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Yes, asking people to bring their own fold up chair would have made more sense.
If the grandstands get used once every few years and sit in a warehouse the rest of the time, yes it does.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:10 PM

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

An awful article, but par for the course for the Halifax examiner.

They offer no real evidence that Halifax is worse than anywhere else in North America. Carding was worse in Toronto than the street checks are in Halifax. The rate was higher and the practice was more invasive.

The street check rate was 6 times higher for black people than white, not 9. But it was also much higher for males than females and it was higher for whites than Asians. I guess the Halifax police are pro-feminist Asian supremacists. The street check seems to match the rate at which these groups are charged. These accusations of racism are generally assuming that the underlying rate of criminality across all of these groups is identical, which is probably not reality. I would guess that the real story behind the street check rates is that there are some high crime parts of the city where there are a lot of checks, and where demographics skew more heavily toward black people. This is not a good situation but in such an environment if the police do their job even-handedly there will still be disparities when the statistics are broken down by race.

It's a touchy issue and it could be that street checks are unfair and it is better to get rid of them. But it's wrong to take incomplete data from one narrow domain and use it to condemn the whole city.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
These accusations of racism are generally assuming that the underlying rate of criminality across all of these groups is identical, which is probably not reality. I would guess that the real story behind the street check rates is that there are some high crime parts of the city where there are a lot of checks, and where demographics skew more heavily toward black people. This is not a good situation but in such an environment if the police do their job even-handedly there will still be disparities when the statistics are broken down by race.
No, the crime rates are not identical. The example given in the article about the black guy in an expensive car with a white girl matches the profile of well-documented human trafficking groups running out of a local predominantly black community. I can totally understand such a stop given that. These articles conveniently overlook the criminal activity that is tolerated within certain areas. I do not blame the police for checking on what to them seem suspicious encounters.

I cannot fathom why anyone pays for a monthly subscription to the Examiner unless they are in need of bad examples of "journalism".

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I cannot fathom why anyone pays for a monthly subscription to the Examiner unless they are in need of bad examples of "journalism".
It's not journalism when they self identify as "an independent, adversarial news site in Halifax"

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 5:50 PM

What a joke, race baiting victimization nonsense in the guise of commentary.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Yup, more 'journalism' designed to make our area look bad to the rest of the world. I only posted it because it was out there and it pertained to the topic.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 11:30 PM

Hey mods how about merging this thread with the Atlantic Schooners thread to keep the history together

Commish wants Atlantic Canada to feel part of the CFL family
Tim Baines Postmedia February 20, 2020

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie says making sure Atlantic Canadians feel welcome is a big focus of the league, whether or not a franchise ends up on the East Coast.

Schooners Sports and Entertainment is laying the groundwork to try to land a franchise, but there’s still plenty of work to do.

“There’s an effort being made to really look at the stadium model,” said Ambrosie. “There are two sites I’m familiar with that are being looked at. The stadium site issue is what Halifax regional council referenced in their announcement — they will provide financial support for the stadium, but not for where it was originally proposed. Yes, it’s quiet right now, but that’s because lots of work is being done.”

Ambrosie is in the middle of Randy’s Road Trip. In a tour across the country (the final date is March 11 in Toronto) speaking to CFL audiences, Ambrosie made his third stop Thursday in Hamilton. Halifax is up next on Sunday.

Ambrosie said there is no drop-dead date on Atlantic Canada’s efforts to land a CFL team.

“We’ve extended our hand of friendship to Atlantic Canada,” he said. “One way or another, Atlantic Canada needs to be part of our community, it needs to be part of the CFL’s future. There are 2.2, 2.3 million Canadians living in Atlantic Canada. At the minimum, I want to be the person who gave 1,000 per cent to try and get this thing done. And if we don’t, we need to find a way to embrace Atlantic Canadians and make them part of the CFL. Last year, our TV ratings were up 50 per cent in Atlantic Canada — we went and played a game there.

“I want to be that guy, I want to be the person who made sure Atlantic Canadians know they are part of our family. Getting the team, of course, is a huge priority, but it has to start with the belief that Atlantic Canada has to be part of the CFL’s future.”

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 12:03 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Yup, more 'journalism' designed to make our area look bad to the rest of the world. I only posted it because it was out there and it pertained to the topic.
I'm confused. I read the article expecting something totally different based on these quoted comments. What exactly is it about the piece that's in dispute? Do you feel the incidents being described aren't true? Or is it more that such incidents aren't important and that it's wrong to shed light on the experiences of fellow members of our community because it isn't good for publicity?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment