HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:12 PM

Building Boom Causing a Shortage in Tower Cranes

Quote:
Coping with the crane drain
February 27, 2012 - 7:39pm BY REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER
thechronicleherald.ca

TAKING A PEEK out the window is all one needs to get a glimpse into Halifax’s future.

Tower cranes are becoming a ubiquitous sight in almost every direction, whether it is Halifax, Dartmouth or Bedford, a sign that the pace of development in the region is picking up.

But the impending development boom, enhanced by the $25-billion Irving shipbuilding contract, will create a side effect that may cause headaches for developers and contractors alike: lack of available tower cranes.
Read more here: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ng-crane-drain

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:28 PM

That article make sme proud be live in halifax right now.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:48 PM

Halifax is becoming like Calgary - Crane's are the new bird!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 8:20 PM

Driving around Halifax this weekend, cranes are everywhere. It's crazy to think there are a lot more to come over the next few years.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Driving around Halifax this weekend, cranes are everywhere. It's crazy to think there are a lot more to come over the next few years.
Feels good, doesn't it?

I would definitely feel good if more of HRM's cranes were situated on the peninsula.

Once we see the downtown Dubai-ified, when the three tower Citadel Hotel redevelopment and the Nova Centre two tower development cranes-up, I think most of us will be buzzing off the sight of that!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 9:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Part of the cause of this is the popularity of multi-unit condo and apartment buildings. 10-15 years ago a larger percentage of construction was single family housing. The trend toward multi-unit is positive, but I wish the suburban apartment developments were planned a little better. The higher densities will open some doors for better transit service, but these neighbourhoods will not be very walkable unless they undergo a lot of changes.

In any case, I'm hoping they'll start excavation for the Nova Centre soon. It's great not only that Halifax is getting lots of new buildings, but that some empty or poorly developed sites will soon be nicely built out. The library corner for example is huge -- it was awful to have a parking lot in such a prominent location.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
BANNED

To make a gamble: I will guess that Spring Garden Road will be freed from all its currently remaining parking lots, by, say, 2020. I'm being optimistic about the basilica's potential plans.

Parking along Spring Garden Road, however...

I keep hearing people complaining about the lack of parking gargage, though. I don't even know where would be an appropriate place to build one (perhaps closer toward Dal?).

I'm not even sure how close to full capacity the Parklane Mall's 440 unit garage is.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 10:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't think the complaints are founded. The Sister sites are going to have public spaces underground and developments like the Paramount have underground public lots. I've never seen the upper levels of Park Lane full, though maybe it's busier now.

Usually the complaint's about on-street parking but it's not possible to provide spots for everybody.

The other side of this is that driving becomes less and less important as population densities and transit services improve. A growing part of the business for Spring Garden Road will come from people who live in the area. That is preferable to having everybody drive in. The model of everybody driving works in a small town but doesn't work in larger cities. Most good places have a parking "shortage".

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 11:05 PM
BANNED

I agree with you; however, the complaints were more about an assumption that our parking facilities are not going to keep up with our growing number of tourists (though I doubt the impact of car-dependent tourists, considering the recent jump in tourism is largely due to cruise ships, most of whom walk/taxi/use public transit), along with our growing suburbs, which is still outpacing our inward urbanism, and with all the car related crowding issues that this generates.

I agree that residential density is preferable, but I also think that Halifax is just starting to get the ball rollin'. There're still an awful lot of suburban car buyers, at least in the immediate short-term. From Halifax's lack of progress on public transit, dare I say long-term?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:21 AM

The new General Manager out here in Calgary made a good point when he introduced himself - which I think really addresses the whole parking issue. He said that no place is worth going to that doesn't have a parking problem. Essentially, if it's a popular place - you'll have a parking problem, which is good.

I don't think it's an issue though. The parking lot redevelopments will be required to still have some amount of parking for the public, so that should help. It will just be a bit tight during the construction because those spaces won't be available.

While it's been years since I lived in Halifax, I used to hang out at the Second Cup on Spring Garden Road all the time. I hung out there while I didn't have a car and while I did. When I had a car, I never recalled having a problem finding a parking spot. I think the furthest spot I ever had to park was Brunswick Street at the Sackville intersection - which wasn't a big deal to me. It was a nice walk!

Just how many cranes are running right now?

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Jul 1, 2012 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Just how many cranes are running right now?
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...x-library-work

According to this story about the new Library there are 22 or 23 cranes up in Halifax right now.

My guess was about 25.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...x-library-work

According to this story about the new Library there are 22 or 23 cranes up in Halifax right now.

My guess was about 25.
I have 18 cranes by my count, I think the Citadel Hotel and City Centre ones will cancel each other out this weekend, maybe one up, one down.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 12:27 AM

Just imagine how big of a crane problem we're going to have when more developments come in once businesses realize the growth potential of the city assuming the procurement progress goes well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 3:14 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX View Post
Just imagine how big of a crane problem we're going to have when more developments come in once businesses realize the growth potential of the city assuming the procurement progress goes well.
Totally, this is like the catalyst for even more development.

If a developer was smart, they would build a massive underground parking facility into their development... it would mean long term revenues.

I think the actual parking problems are a RESULT of underdevelopment... the sister sites will definitely increase in parking capacity when developed.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Totally, this is like the catalyst for even more development.
Compared to its previous rate of development, Halifax seems to be booming; but I agree with you in that this current level of development is nothing compared to just how quickly the ball will be rollin' once the economic benefits of shipbuilding become more obvious.

Halifax's established urban framework actually gives it a great advantage when compared to other municipalities in Atlantic Canada (though to a lesser extent when compared to St. John's). Halifax nearly has an infrastructural monopoly on the market for younger demographics (and their lifestyles).

Urbanites: Some by choice, most by financial necessity (debt).

Downtown Halifax will see more focus, not just because we've bothered to get around to composing HRMbyDesign -- but because the market is demanding living options within centres of density. People want public transit; they want services close-by; they want large parks; they want to reside near sources of employment.

I don't wish for Halifax to jump as hardcore as Toronto into its condo endeavours. Moderate with rental, please.

In the context of Atlantic Canada, Halifax's urbanite appeal is most abundant by far, especially due to a great deal of this region's municipalities that aren't moving toward inward urbanism; therefore, Atlantic Canada will grow in its significance as to being a contributor to Halifax's population growth. This is a bigger deal than Halifax's other modes of immigration.

Big changes are a'comin'.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 6:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, I think Halifax's biggest advantage by far right now is the urban lifestyle that it offers. Halifax isn't a very well-planned or managed city but it has luckily inherited some great assets. At this point it's fairly easy to build new condos or office buildings and fill the city in. In the past the missing piece of the puzzle has been the economy but it seems to be improving over the long term.

It's really not that far-fetched to imagine Halifax as one of the more popular cities for Canadians who want to live in a real city and are willing to move to a new part of the country. I think Halifax already compared pretty favourably with Toronto and Vancouver in terms of quality of life for a large percentage of people.

There are still some roadblocks remaining though. Transit and transportation planning are the biggest, I think. HRM regional council is totally out to lunch on this topic -- if they continue to say "no" to everything while failing to find other solutions then traffic is going to get a lot worse and quality of life will go along with it. HRM has also worked itself into a corner because of terrible planning in the past. They don't have a lot of good right of ways for transit for example because they never planned properly for it in the past.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There are still some roadblocks remaining though. Transit and transportation planning are the biggest, I think. HRM regional council is totally out to lunch on this topic -- if they continue to say "no" to everything while failing to find other solutions then traffic is going to get a lot worse and quality of life will go along with it. HRM has also worked itself into a corner because of terrible planning in the past. They don't have a lot of good right of ways for transit for example because they never planned properly for it in the past.
Definitely agree. Correct me if I'm wrong but was there not a recent headline in the chronicle about innovations in public transport being the key to the next election? Hopefully that will force the council and other members of the municipal government to look for new ways to satisfy the public.

It seems that the council can't agree on anything. I wonder what would happen if the public brought forward their ideas. I've seen some great ones on this forum itself. Perhaps an internet-city revolution? hahahah.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, I think Halifax's biggest advantage by far right now is the urban lifestyle that it offers. Halifax isn't a very well-planned or managed city but it has luckily inherited some great assets. At this point it's fairly easy to build new condos or office buildings and fill the city in. In the past the missing piece of the puzzle has been the economy but it seems to be improving over the long term.

It's really not that far-fetched to imagine Halifax as one of the more popular cities for Canadians who want to live in a real city and are willing to move to a new part of the country. I think Halifax already compared pretty favourably with Toronto and Vancouver in terms of quality of life for a large percentage of people.

Halifax's advantage in its downtown living options are just like its advantage in its public transit: by default. There simply aren't any other cities in the region offering better alternatives.

Aside from this lack of municipal competition (which I believe is a reason for Halifax's lack of enthusiasm), I completely agree that HRM's public transit is one of the biggest problems we're facing. The traffic congestion will escalate. It's only a matter of time -- and this should be on council's mind during discussions pertaining to public transit, because we are not dealing with an infinite amount of time here.

Halifax's public transit is not suitable to meet demands. This will not only harm the quality of life in the city, as you've mentioned, but most alarmingly this will negatively affect the city's future growth because Halifax will bleed population to more efficent urban centres.

Halifax must address its public transit issue and become more competitive with its appeal to urbanites because it's not just money or jobs that've become globalised. The globalised economy certainly includes how people are increasingly migrating as they seek convenience, an affordable living, and the best paying job.

Half the people I know have moved to one of the cities in Central Canada.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 10:13 PM

Halifax needs to get past this attitude "roads=bad, buses=good". All the "green"/left-wing/populist councillors oppose any change to the road network (see the Bayers Rd widening proposal) but in the same breath call for more buses, which is simply absurd. You can't move the buses you have now, so why would you add more? You need a systematic solution, with a mix of improved major roads, buses where they make sense, and other modes like light rail where they make sense. Council needs to stop pandering to the EAC types who think everyone should bike or walk everywhere all th etime and plug themselves into reality. Halifax is growing like mad and that growth looks like it will increase. We need a comprehensive approach to move both people and the significant volume of commercial traffic around the city.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:51 PM

The premier said on Global's Morning news on Friday that there are more than 30 tower cranes up in Halifax.

Anyone know how accurate that is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General