HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 5:43 PM

Walkable cities: HRM edition

edit: every attempt I've made has failed. I found a YT channel called Not Just Bikes and their video, Why City Design Is Important(And why I hate Houston) was very interesting. So if someone competent cares to post it that'd be great, mkay?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:02 PM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This channel is interesting although I find he can be tendentious and often his economic arguments are a bit stylized, not capturing all of the factors. I mostly like the parts where he explains how things work in the Netherlands, and I think there's a lot of Canadians to learn from that, but just importing those things would be complicated with some working and others not.

I don't know for sure but I get the impression the Netherlands invests more in infrastructure, or at least transportation infrastructure, than Canada does. To me it seemed like Amsterdam or Rotterdam just had a lot more transportation infrastructure in total, including roads/highways (they have a surprisingly good freeway system), than similar Canadian cities. Their GDP is about $10,000 US per person higher than ours. Ontario is closer to Nova Scotia in per capita GDP than it is to the Netherlands. Perhaps some of this is chicken-and-egg and if Canada invested more in urban infrastructure it would have a higher GDP. I don't believe that urban investment in Canada has kept up with population growth.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
edit: every attempt I've made has failed. I found a YT channel called Not Just Bikes and their video, Why City Design Is Important(And why I hate Houston) was very interesting.

Please, don't try to compare Halifax to Houston.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues