HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 5:57 AM
Honored Member

These are quite unique house designs. Very interesting - I haven't seen anything like this in the Greater Toronto Area (that I can think of).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 4:36 AM

Bedford's still doing well

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 5:46 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

This is a great shot!!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 6:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very impressive!!

Is Metro Transit boosting transit options to Bedford from downtown. I can foresee even more traffic congestion in the not too distant future.

Time for commuter rail IMHO.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 8:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The only semi-serious transit improvement proposed was the Bedford ferry and that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

It's too bad because Bedford could be great with a little more density and better transit. There's a lot of potential around the waterfront, Mill Cove, Sunnyside, etc.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 9:10 PM

The ferry been cancelled without public consultation. Apparently reducing capacity on the Woodside Ferry and increasing the speed of the ferry is more important than transit to Bedford.

On average we get one additional bus run a year out here. This means we get space for 50 more transit passengers in a town growing more than a 1'000 a year. By my calculations in ten years it will take 2 hours to go from Sunnyside to Spring Garden via transit.

Anyways there is no reason to discuss transit improvements in Bedford. Metro Transit has shown it cares more for Tantallon and Eastern Passage then Bedford and it has clearly stated there will be no significant improvements in Bedford in the next ten years.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 9:26 PM
Urban Thinker

While I agree with you that transit from Bedford to Halifax can be a pain in the neck (the 80 is either really good or really bad) I wouldn't say that MT cares more about Tantallon or Eastern Passage than Bedford. They did recieve new routes in recent years, but up until then transit to both communities was basically nonexistant. Just because Bedford doesn't get everything other communities in the HRM does doesn't mean that we're liked any less. I'm sure Metro Transit has a good reason behind every decision they make.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 11:11 PM

This kind of growth is exactly why Bayers Rd needs to be upgraded ASAP. I don't care if you put 20 new buses on the Bedford-Halifax run, all they would do is sit in traffic until the infrastructure is upgraded.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 11:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This kind of growth is exactly why Bayers Rd needs to be upgraded ASAP. I don't care if you put 20 new buses on the Bedford-Halifax run, all they would do is sit in traffic until the infrastructure is upgraded.
More buses should mean less cars though. So it may not get as congested if the routes were smart and served purpose. If they are just more long cross town runs then you are right, a complete waste.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I'm sure Metro Transit has a good reason behind every decision they make.
I doubt it. Here's some examples of the "brains" of Metro Transit.

- Fast Ferry cancelled without a public announcement
- Route 80 (do I really need to say more?)
- No Bedford-Bridge bus because of lack of demand (30min vs 1h+ on the 80)
- Broken promise of rerouting the 87
- Service cutback on Routes 82, 88, 89
- Only using old broken buses on the 80 (I can't count the number of times the bus has broken down on me)
- Routing of the 66 in Burnside
- No service to Dartmouth on weekends
- Broken promise of new routes this year with new buses arriving (new service to Mainland North and Dockyards but no Bedford ones)

The bias Metro Transit has is very unfortunate but is hard to ignore. Bedford now has 20'000+ residents and there are only six routes, only one of which runs at least every 30 minutes seven days a week.

The only upside is as of tomorrow we have an "Express Route". This is an improvement but remember it only runs twice a day and I guarantee you MT will state this is the long promised Rapid Transit to downtown.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
I doubt it. Here's some examples of the "brains" of Metro Transit.
- Route 80 (do I really need to say more?)
This one made me laugh. Anyone who has ever ridden it and even those that haven't hate this route.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 12:58 PM

Ironically even from Sackville the Route 80 is the fastest way to get to HSC. taking the 185 then the one is slower...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:

There is CTV news story on all the tower cranes in Halifax and how its almost unprecedented (24 Cranes it says in the story). It also mentions that construction activity in Halifax could top one Billion dollars next year which has never happened.

They have a camera shot in the story that looks like it stole Dmajacksons shot above.

http://atlantic.ctv.ca/?video=525881 Story is at 8:15

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 11:52 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
There is CTV news story on all the tower cranes in Halifax and how its almost unprecedented (24 Cranes it says in the story). It also mentions that construction activity in Halifax could top one Billion dollars next year which has never happened.
That is about $34 million in new tax revenue... very significant! Almost enough to pay to bring down our commercial property tax rate to the national average, for example... (dare to dream)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

They have a camera shot in the story that looks like it stole Dmajacksons shot above.

http://atlantic.ctv.ca/?video=525881 Story is at 8:15
That shot they have looks identical to my "backup" photo of the one I posted above. I never uploaded it online so it's just strange coincidence I guess.

$1 billion is ridiculous for a city of our size really. Especially since we are not in a "boom". I wonder how places like Hamilton, Quebec, and Victoria do value wise.

I wonder if some reporters are following this forum ...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:45 AM

Interesting, the guy from Omega said he has one crane set to go up, I wonder where that would be? It would be the second crane from the RCMP building.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 10:56 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Interesting, the guy from Omega said he has one crane set to go up, I wonder where that would be? It would be the second crane from the RCMP building.
Waterton II? One can dream... does UG have anything under construction currently?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Waterton II? One can dream... does UG have anything under construction currently?
Yeah, Navid Saberi's monster house on the Northwest Arm, even that seemed to have stalled last time I was by. Considering in June they gave a July 2011 start date and there is still no action on site, I seriously doubt their credibility.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 11:50 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Yeah, Navid Saberi's monster house on the Northwest Arm, even that seemed to have stalled last time I was by. Considering in June they gave a July 2011 start date and there is still no action on site, I seriously doubt their credibility.
Yeah, when the only project under development is your own house... and its moving slowly... I can't see Skye ever happening.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 9:25 PM

What house is his?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs