HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:57 AM

Foundation is in for the Sunset Ridge apartment building off of Margeson Drive.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:23 AM

The crane is now up for the apartments in Sunset Ridge- Margeson Drive. Any idea who the developer is for these units or what style/size they will be?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 3:38 PM
BUILD!

I was out visiting my parents on the weekend and noticed that in the old Wal-Mart building there is construction going on. A large steel awning was being installed and the front is all under work.

Any ideas on who (if anyone) the tenant could be?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 11:15 PM

Mostly a redo to match the rest of the strip mall. I'll double check the plans I had and see if there are any names given away on spaces

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 12:11 PM
BUILD!

I don't know if this was posted anywhere else in local Halifax but I found it while cruising around the internet today.

Looks to be a rendering for re-developing the strip mall on Sackville Dr. where Shopper's used to be. It now houses a Money Mart and the hair salon (it's been awhile since I shopped up there).

This is 100000% different than anything I have seen in Sackville, or even HRM for that matter. I'd love to see it built.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:51 PM

Any idea where this came from? Looks interesting.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 7:02 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Any idea where this came from? Looks interesting.
I pulled it from a site called Strip Appeal. It's a site dedicated to reinventing the strip mall - especially ones like Sackville has (underused/abandoned).

Teal Architects designed the one in the rendering above.

Website link: http://www.strip-appeal.com/?project=strip-weave

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 5:07 PM

New Development in Upper Sackville - Meadow Ridge Estates

I thought people here would appreciate a heads up about a new Open Space development in the works for the Sackville area.

Its an Active Living Bungalow community designed for empty nesters. It will be a 56 unit bare land strata community with walking trails and a community centre. Every home will back on private green space.

Here's a link to a news article about it: http://thechronicleherald.ca/communi...g155U.facebook

Here is a link to the Facebook page about it: https://www.facebook.com/meadowridgeestatesliving

The web site is still under construction.

I'm the developer, so feel free to ask any questions and give me your feedback.

By the way, we have our phase one of the development agreement in place and are currently working to finalize the development agreement with HRM. Fingers crossed, it will be in place around September.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:17 PM

Could you please clarify the term: 'bare land strata community' ? thanks

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:24 PM

"What is a 'bare land strata plan'? A 'bare land strata plan' is defined as a 'strata plan on which the boundaries of the strata lots are defined on a horizontal plane by reference to survey markers, and not by reference to floors, walls and ceilings of a building'."

http://realestatesooke.com/updates,_info....html

Pretty much this looks like a small retirement community designed to promote ease of living in their own homes while providing lots of activities... Could work from a business stand point I'm sure the people are, and will be there. Would have been nice to see a bit better use of the land IMO but looks better than a place like Kingswood.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Could you please clarify the term: 'bare land strata community' ? thanks
Basically a detached subdivision structured as a condominium rather than individual lots. Instead of owning a lot you get a "unit" of land, which is part of the condominium corporation. They're often used when the developer doesn't want to build a new public street, or if there are amenities they want to provide for that community only (pool, club house, etc.)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 4:47 PM

Does anyone happen to know who the builder is for the 2 condo/apartment buildings going up off Margeson Drive? I see they have 4 stories up already.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Basically a detached subdivision structured as a condominium rather than individual lots. Instead of owning a lot you get a "unit" of land, which is part of the condominium corporation. They're often used when the developer doesn't want to build a new public street, or if there are amenities they want to provide for that community only (pool, club house, etc.)
In our case and with much of HRM this land is in what HRM has designated "Rural Commuter", meaning a traditional subdivision simply isn't allowed. What is allowed is an Open Space Development, which takes more time and requires more costly studies. The only way Open Space developments can be worked so that the consumer has a chance to own (rather than lease) is with bare land strata, or condo units as described above.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
"What is a 'bare land strata plan'? A 'bare land strata plan' is defined as a 'strata plan on which the boundaries of the strata lots are defined on a horizontal plane by reference to survey markers, and not by reference to floors, walls and ceilings of a building'."

http://realestatesooke.com/updates,_info....html

Pretty much this looks like a small retirement community designed to promote ease of living in their own homes while providing lots of activities... Could work from a business stand point I'm sure the people are, and will be there. Would have been nice to see a bit better use of the land IMO but looks better than a place like Kingswood.
Out of curiosity how could the land have been used better? I would love to get you feedback. By the way, we are not allowed to call it a retirement community, the NS government considers it discrimination. We have to settle with "Active Living Bungalow Community" and imply who it is designed for.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 12:37 AM

The first apartment building in Sunset Ridge off of Margeson Drive is now up. Rumor is when its 60% full, they will begin the other one.

The Commercial land there has been cleared as of last week as well.

Dollarama is moving beside Yeh and Giant Tiger in Downsview.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:25 AM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORAL21 View Post

Dollarama is moving beside Yeh and Giant Tiger in Downsview.
It's really too bad they got rid of the old mall if this was what was going to happen. Now we will have yet another abandoned strip mall....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
It's really too bad they got rid of the old mall if this was what was going to happen. Now we will have yet another abandoned strip mall....
The Source is also moving down by GT, Goodlife, etc. Won't be much reason to go up to that part of Downsview anymore. Makes you wonder what the plans are for the old Staples and this strip mall if it's emptying out.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haligonian88 View Post
The Source is also moving down by GT, Goodlife, etc. Won't be much reason to go up to that part of Downsview anymore. Makes you wonder what the plans are for the old Staples and this strip mall if it's emptying out.
Seems to me like it's the perfect site for an intense high-density residential development capable of housing up to 3000 residents a la the Motherhouse proposal. The area is already surrounded by shops and improved transit links for Sackville become easier with a large population cluster to service.

Because it's the perfect site for such a development, that means it will likely be the home of some mortgage companies or a law office from another underused strip mall elsewhere in Sackville.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 10:36 PM

I keep hearing rumours of that strip coming down and a motel/hotel going in. These businesses moving out almost makes that sound more realistic now

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:49 PM

Sunset View

New apartments @ Sunset Ridge ready, WM Fares Building. Rents from $990-$1420.

www.sunsetview.ca

Indigo Shores across the street by McCabe Lake has been open and lots ready to be developed. Phase 1. Lots from the $100,000 all the way to $265,000

http://www.armcocommunities.com/comm...list.asp?ID=12

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs