HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Dartmouth is gonna be looking like Dubai, lol.
Maybe this one area, which until you cross the street lol.

Seriously, this should be downtown or closer too. I like the development a lot, nice clean and modern and pretty well thoughtout. But not sure Halifax is ready for this yet. Guess the developer feels so, it is after all their risk to take.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 7:38 PM

This is all really great, but I just don't know about the location. Its going to be hard enough to find all the people to fill the place anywhere in Halifax, but doing it next to an industrial park, sounds a lot harder.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 12:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The location as far as suburbs go actually isn't that bad. The biggest problem is traffic inside the industrial park. Aside from that, there's Dartmouth Crossing one way and then Bedford the other. It is comparable to living in Hammonds Plains or Fall River. Both areas are enormously popular.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 12:47 AM

This place is about 15 minutes from downtown which is very convinient. THe traffic is also what worries me. Windmill Road is already filled to the brim. Hopefully when they install the stop lights they'll also put in a bus lane.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 11:37 PM
we built this city

Yeah, you could be on the peninsula in a matter of minutes by car and not too much longer by public transportation. What bus serves this area, is it the 80?

Here is a funny article I found related to this topic:
http://www.burnsidenews.com/index.cfm?sid=140051&sc=397

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Yeah, you could be on the peninsula in a matter of minutes by car and not too much longer by public transportation. What bus serves this area, is it the 80?

Here is a funny article I found related to this topic:
http://www.burnsidenews.com/index.cfm?sid=140051&sc=397
The 80 goes on the other side of the Basin. The Sackville buses (85 and 87) would pass this and probably one that goes into Burnside. The MetroLink is also a two minute walk from there.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:10 PM

question:
every render i see shows one tall tower which i count as 17 storeys.
is that correct?
all the chat here mentions 12 storeys as the higest.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsond View Post
question:
every render i see shows one tall tower which i count as 17 storeys.
is that correct?
all the chat here mentions 12 storeys as the higest.
Good point. I never noticed the discrepency before.

I did some checking of my information for this thread and i turns out everything was mentioning the height of the condominium building (6-12 storeys). THe hotel does look like its going to be seventeen storeys tall.

Thanks for pointing it our "lawsond"

Someone should change title to this "Harbour Isle | 17-9-9-9 floors | ? | Approved" please and thank-you...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:19 PM

Did some research to confirm the heights of the buildings and found an article that doesn't tell the heights but i does sum up the development nicely:

Quote:
Harbour Isle
Bedford Basin

Lisa Van de Ven, National Post
Published: Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Yorkville Group recently unveiled its plans for a 25-acre master-planned project on the waterfront of Halifax's Bedford Basin. Designed by Kassner Goodspeed Architects Limited and Page + Steele Architects, the site will feature four condominium buildings when completed, with more than 500 units in total, as well as retail elements, a hotel, parks, a marina and a residents' club. The first building-- the Regatta--has been released for sale, featuring 114 units and a LEED-registered energy-efficient design.

BUILDER/DEVELOPER The Yorkville Group

BUILDING The first building, the Regatta, is nine storeys

SUITES One-bedroom, one-bedroom-plus-den, two-bedroom, two-bedroom-plus-den and three-bedroom units

SIZE 500 to 2,400 square feet

OCCUPANCY Fall, 2010

TARGET MARKET A range of buyers, including Baby Boomers, downsizers and professionals

FEATURES Units include floor-to-ceiling windows, nine-and 10-foot ceilings in the living areas, Energy Star appliances, individual hydro metering, walk-in closets and terraces of 150 to 1,600 sq. ft.

AMENITIES The project will include an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, hot tubs, saunas, fitness facilities, a screening room, a billiards room, a meeting room, a lounge with a library and a car wash bay. The master plan also includes 1,500 ft. of boardwalk, a hotel, shops, parks, a marina and a resident's club overlooking the Dartmouth Yacht Club.

STANDOUTS The site is close to local amenities --including golf courses, theatre, restaurants and boating-- while the airport is approximately 15 minutes away. The project will also be built to energy-efficient LEED standards.

SALES OFFICE Located at 675 Windmill Rd. in Dartmouth, N. S. Open Tuesday to Friday from noon to 6 p. m., and weekends and holidays from noon to 5 p. m. Call 902-481-2300 or visit harbourisle.ca
The Regretta is the building on the far left in most renderings (from the water).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 1:27 AM
You talkin' to me?

Judging by the occupancy date, this should be getting underway very soon I would think. Probably spring?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:24 PM
Closed account

I wouldn't have expected it to have three bedroom units. I wonder how many there are.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 5:53 PM

Sadly, I can't imagine this getting off the ground anytime soon, what with the looming global recession. They appear to be marketing this internationally (bad timing), and it is a VERY capital intense project (difficult financing).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Sadly, I can't imagine this getting off the ground anytime soon, what with the looming global recession. They appear to be marketing this internationally (bad timing), and it is a VERY capital intense project (difficult financing).
I hate to say it but if projects like trillum and Halkirk and UG aren't a go, i doubt this will be either. Maybe in a few years?

I still rather see this development closer to downtown, then next to the industrial park.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:42 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I hate to say it but if projects like trillum and Halkirk and UG aren't a go, i doubt this will be either. Maybe in a few years?

I still rather see this development closer to downtown, then next to the industrial park.
Trillium has started, stop talking like it hasn't lol.

And I hope we can get more than that through in the next couple years. UG will have had their time run out to start on their towers by then.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
The Trillium developers are still trying to move forward. Apparently a significant number of units in that building are already reserved. To be honest I think the financing angle has been exaggerated. At the end of the day the big bottleneck is that there isn't immediate demand for the thousands of high-end condos that these projects represent.

We will probably see a couple proceed relatively soon and a couple more happen after that, which is exactly the normal pace for development given the economic climate in Halifax. I really doubt that the Harbour Isle developers thought they would be throwing up these buildings all at once.

Office is slightly different but still fundamentally pretty similar. International Place for example needs to be mostly pre-leased to major, long-term tenants before it can proceed.

It's possible that the global economic problems could end up working in Halifax's favour since it's much cheaper than the large cities (though this disadvantage starts to disappear with meddling from council etc.) and maybe there will be fewer labour issues.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Trillium has started, stop talking like it hasn't lol.

And I hope we can get more than that through in the next couple years. UG will have had their time run out to start on their towers by then.
guess we will see who is right on trillium. I say they don't start till late 09, early 2010.

Financing is extremely hard right now, the 50% presold which was typically the case a few months ago will not cut it today. Banks are looking for 60-70% or more now. The same is applied to commercial.

Things will change, eventually, but for the next little while funds are tight.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Well I'm hoping that this will start a new trend of nice buildings along the Basin waterfront. Theres tonnes of space and nothing too important in the area for other projects along these lines to come forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

We will probably see a couple proceed relatively soon and a couple more happen after that, which is exactly the normal pace for development given the economic climate in Halifax. I really doubt that the Harbour Isle developers thought they would be throwing up these buildings all at once.
Thats probably why they are only selling the Regretta right now. It may take them a long time but i think they'll eventually get it all up.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:15 AM

Quote:
guess we will see who is right on trillium. I say they don't start till late 09, early 2010.

Financing is extremely hard right now, the 50% presold which was typically the case a few months ago will not cut it today. Banks are looking for 60-70% or more now. The same is applied to commercial.

Things will change, eventually, but for the next little while funds are tight.
I would imagine the finacing has already been done on this project and as long as they are doing alright in condo sales I think you will see this project proceed forward. All indications are that they are thus far.

In regards to the Alexander I was speaking to someone who works for the company and all indications are they will be starting next year.

When it comes to office development downtown... If the Waterside wins its appeal I can see that starting next year and if the URB approves the Emera development I can see that starting soon.

I know you try to be realistic but try having some optimism as well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
...if the URB approves the Emera development I can see that starting soon.
I was recently at a one of the local steel fabricators office and the contract is all but awarded by the sounds of things, should be up and going in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:28 AM

I agree with Haliguy and I would add the first phase of Kings Wharf to that list as they have told me it will start next month. Not to mention the Salters Block as well.

I know this is off topic, but I just noticed your avatar pic kph06 and I love it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs