HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 12:53 PM

I heard that the Lawtons on Woodlawn Road in the staples plaza is moving and building a new store at the former westphal sobeys, along with the woodlawn medical center. Also, the library in that same strip mall with the lawtons is moving into the former empire building beside the portland street superstore.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 6:30 PM

The Lawtons is the same rumour I've heard, and I can confirm the library rumour.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 5:43 PM
Dartmouth Girl

So I figured I'd toss a little update in on this after randomly having found one of my little status of this mall's demolition doodles on google through some obscure search that I was surprised led me back here.. lol.

The mall is pretty well on its final leg. From behind the (new) sobeys to the former empire is completely gone, and they're working on tearing down the final section behind sears now, should be done within a week or so I'd say.

I'd also like to mention that I saw on the Metro Transit website that they are going to be closing the Park & Ride at Penhorn I beleive Sept. 1 for redevelopment, I'm interested to see what they're going to be putting in there.

"Penhorn Terminal Park & Ride Lot Closure - Sept. 1, 2011

Metro Transit has been notified by the Penhorn Plaza property owner that the designated Park & Ride lot adjacent to Penhorn Terminal will be permanently closed effective September 1, 2011, due to upcoming development of the site."

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/n...nhornparknride

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 1:45 AM

No information in here really but it looks like MPS Amendments will be sought to redevelop this lot as mixed-use;

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0920ca1115.pdf

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 12:25 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Demolition of the mall was completed sometime ago:

Penhorn Plaza:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 2:54 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I found this not too long ago while aimlessly browsing youtube for videos of dead malls, I came across one for penhorn, and this was in the related video for that..

A video shot behind the mall before an addition was made in the 80's to make it that U shape I always remember it as..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5SWiLd0uPo

From what I could tell, judging by the way the sun in the video is, and using a house or two that are shown at 1:40 in the video as a reference (the houses are on the little cul de sac end of Bow St. behind the mall, and can be found here!)

Just something neat I figured I'd share!

Last edited by Aya_Akai; Jan 30, 2012 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:39 AM

Today there are several excavators and loaders working at the old park and ride lot between Sobeys and the Metro Transit terminal. It looks like they are removing the pavement from the area. Based on the amount of equipment there and the presence of a construction trailer something substantial is taking place. On the Crombie Reit web site, the plan calls for future development and there are 3 buildings on the site.It looks like possibly a gas bar and with the new Superstore gas bar just down the road, maybe Sobeys felt it was time to proceed with their plans.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Looks like very possibly a gas bar:

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:01 AM
Dartmouth Girl

There were large underground ZCL tanks delivered to the site sometime yesterday or today. With being so close to the Sobeys, and the recent construction of the superstore gas bar down portland a ways... it'll more than likely be a fast fuel, or an irving.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 10:53 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

My understanding is that it IS a Fast Fuels.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:16 PM

Mr Lube under construction

Construction has begun on a new Mr Lube location at Penhorn Plaza. It is going in the parking lot next to Marks Work Warehouse.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandpat View Post
Construction has begun on a new Mr Lube location at Penhorn Plaza. It is going in the parking lot next to Marks Work Warehouse.
Whats that, 2 Mr Lubes in the city?

*Bubbles *Greasy..grrrreeeh-heee-hee-eeeasssyyyy *Bubbles*

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 2:42 PM

HRM is holding a public meeting on City Initiated changes to the MPS to allow comprehensive development on the Penhorn Mall Site. Based on the Public Notice the tallest buildings (12 stories is suggested), would be along Portland Street and the interior of the lot, with smaller/shorter buildings creating the context along the edges. That's a pretty smart move so that you don't have a 1/2 storey house next to an apartment building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs