HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 1:19 PM
You talkin' to me?

Shearwater Lands up for sale

Public input sought on Shearwater use

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. Jan 30 - 5:38 AM

An old military base could win the battle for its community by providing the land for a new high school and community centre.

But the owners of 230 hectares of surplus lands — once part of the Shearwater airbase in Eastern Passage — need public input to learn how best to use it.

A meeting will be held Thursday night to discuss the portion of lands carved off from the base when a 1994 federal budget reduced funding to 12 Wing Shearwater.

Despite the significant amount of time that has passed, it’s the first time the public has been invited to speak up.

As a result, a school and recreation centre will likely be high on everyone’s wish list, says area MLA Becky Kent.

"I would be shocked if they didn’t have that in the back of their minds," the New Democrat said in an interview Tuesday.

"And to me, it makes perfect sense. It’s staring us right in the face. And the timing couldn’t be better."

During a meeting Monday night in Woodside about community schools, the public was shown maps of the area, Ms. Kent said.

"And their maps were generally showing circles (for suggested school sites) in and around that area," she said.

"That was in keeping with what they were suggesting to us — that (the area needs) a high school for Eastern Passage kids, maybe Woodside, maybe some of Cole Harbour."

One of the other things often mentioned in the community is the lack of community facilities, says the former municipal councillor who won the recent provincial byelection in Cole Harbour-Eastern Passage.

"The municipality has recognized that there are gaps out here and one of the big things that this community would like to see is some kind of health and wellness and fitness kind of facility," she said.

"Not a repeat of Cole Harbour Place, but that type of place," she said, referring to the Cole Harbour centre with a library, meeting rooms, offices, gym, aquatic centre and two ice surfaces.

A consultant working on the project has suggested combining all of the missing elements, she said, and it just "makes sense."

"When you have those gaps and a hubbub of land that’s coming forward, all these things are going to add up to a great scenario."

Thursday’s meeting will also feature information gleaned by the Shearwater Advisory Committee over the last year.

The group includes residents from Cole Harbour and Eastern Passage, as well as representatives from the Defence Department, Imperial Oil, Greater Halifax Partnership and Nova Scotia Economic Development Agency.

Clayton Developments, the developer of the new residential community at neighbouring Russell Lake West, has also confirmed its attendance.

Others could be queuing up.

Last week, Canada Lands Corp., which owns the surplus lands, gave a presentation to the Urban Development Institute during a well-attended breakfast meeting at the Halifax Club.

The development industry’s input is important, says Ms. Kent.

"Frankly, it’s going to take developers to buy up the pieces of land and develop it according to what we zone it," she said. "So I kind of hope people are out there, looking at this as an opportunity. Because otherwise, it’s just going to sit vacant and we’re not going to get the things that the community wants and needs. And clearly, this piece of land opens up all those opportunities."

However, some of the land can’t be developed for residential use, a senior planner with the city noted.

"It’s too close to the heliport," Paul Morgan said Tuesday, referring to a portion that’s near the $2-million project underway on the still-operating side of Shearwater.

As well, the west end of the property is right next to Imperial Oil, he said.

"Along the waterfront there, we have a number of industrial and military uses and certainly we don’t want to make them feel that they’re not going to be welcome if new development encroached too closely."

The piece of land also sits in the path of the proposed connecting road between Caldwell Road in Cole Harbour and the new Russell Lake West interchange. Achieving that roadway is "really important," said Ms. Kent.

"It would alleviate some of the congestion coming out of Eastern Passage, offer new routes for people in Cole Harbour and Dartmouth."

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 1:22 PM
You talkin' to me?

Just a note to give an idea how much land is going to be up for zoning and development, the area is rougly the size of the entire bayers lake business park.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 2:20 PM

That's perfect then - you can use it for another monstrous big box store development.
Did someone say Dartmouth Crossing II: Shop Harder?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 3:43 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
That's perfect then - you can use it for another monstrous big box store development.
Did someone say Dartmouth Crossing II: Shop Harder?
haha, well theres actually a retail and business park going up right next to these lands in Russell Lake West. I believe Clayton is the developer for Russell Lake West, who also happens to be a leading contender in purchasing this land. So who knows lol.

They also happen to be the developer for the Portland Hills subdivision which also borders the property.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 7:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This whole area is being developed basically: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=14&om=0

That interchange on the Circumferential is new. Not sure who owns that remaining land within the Circ. This picture is somewhat old so I'd expect that more is built now.

Eastern Passage is growing as well although there's still surprisingly little aside from houses in the area.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 11:50 PM

It's too bad that site couldn't have been used for the Halifax airport way back when instead of putting it a $50 cab ride out of town. I look at that image and visualize a bridge to McNab's and from there a tunnel under the harbour to the downtown. What a difference in development patterns that would have made.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 12:13 AM

Just to clarify a bit on what parts of the base are being sold, check out that link someone123 posted.

See the long runway parallel to Morris Lake (runway 16/34)? That's what was sold off to Canada Lands. Everything right from the lake shore up to (but not including) the other parallel runway (16R/34L) is no longer DND owned. Runway 16R/34L is being brought back into service, and the other runway running across them (10/28) is being decommissioned and supposedly turned into the helicopter pads.

The new hangars and repair facilities for the new helicopters is currently being built on the western end of runway 10/28.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 7:15 PM
You talkin' to me?

Shearwater planning halted
Councillors angered by Ottawa’s move to stop development of former airbase
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Mar 27 - 4:48 AM

Plans to develop a former airbase in Eastern Passage have been grounded and the abrupt decision has two councillors in a flap.

The city has spent a year planning for the future development of the Shearwater lands. But last week the Defence Department halted the process.

The Canada Lands Co. told the planning advisory committee for the Shearwater area that the department is reviewing its military requirements for 12 Wing Shearwater.

"They pulled the rug out from under our feet," Coun. Bill Karsten (Portland-East Woodlawn) said Wednesday night. "How many times does the same issue need to be reviewed?"

Along with Coun. Jackie Barkhouse (Woodside-Eastern Passage), Mr. Karsten is a member of the Shearwater planning advisory committee.

The committee includes members from the military, Imperial Oil and Greater Halifax Partnership as well as five residents.

It has been meeting since last June, trying to develop a plan for the 235-hectare site.

Last month, the group held a daylong planning workshop, culminating in a public information meeting that drew about 80 people to Seaside Elementary School in Eastern Passage.

Possibilities for the site include a golf course, a sports stadium, a new high school and an upscale housing development with rapid bus transit and high-speed ferry connections.

The development potential for the Defence Department land is "practically limitless," the public meeting heard.

The plan calls for the former Shearwater lands to be linked to road networks and a trail system. The decommissioned 3,000-metre runway would become the major road artery.

The Shearwater road network would connect the surrounding developments from Caldwell Road to the Highway 111 interchange and everything in between, Mr. Karsten said.

The councillors say residents are upset that another review about the property’s future is underway.

"We have no details on why the review is necessary and we certainly haven’t been told how long the planning process will be halted," Mr. Karsten said.

During the area’s planning process, residents from Eastern Passage-Cow Bay said Shearwater should be targeted as an area for future growth, Ms. Barkhouse said. "Undoubtedly, we’ll have concerns and questions regarding this current situation," she said.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:11 AM

If those lands eventually come up for sale, I think the optimal use for them would be to replace Halterm. If you land the containers off the peninsula a lot of the traffic issues go away. Plus you avoid the navigation issues associated with large ships travelling under the bridges. If Halterm is gone, you obtain a site on the south end of the peninsula that instantly becomes the most valuable residential development land in the city. Unfortunately the locals will probably want to turn it into a wilderness park.., :

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 6:48 AM

Replacing Halterm is a good idea and would free up land in the south end, but it won't change vessel traffic under the bridges. In my opinion both Halterm and CERES should be moved off the peninsula and those lands redevelopped.

BZ

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 3:55 PM
National Capital Region

here's a community Canada lands is developing at a former base in Ottawa (currently it's on hold due to native land claims).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 10:11 PM

cool...umm they messed up the height map key though theres nothing for 10 and 11 floors...but cool anyways. I think it was in the Reader's Digest recently that they had an arcticle about all the military land redevelopments going on across Canada, if i find the article i'll put more examples up.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:28 PM

Why am I not surprised some people would be annoyed at this. Personally I'm elated DND is second-guessing their decision (read: mistake) to close down half of the base. Lets hope their decision is not swayed, and Shearwater can expand to a little more than just a heliport.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:26 AM

Pretty old post and I am new here from Australia and I am really strange while reading that, the rug was pulled out from your feet. What was the reaction then?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General