HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I suspect that in 10 years or so we will be looking at ways to repurpose underutilized parts of this structure in the face of minimal demand for what it offers.
While I don't agree with the 10 year prediction, I do have to raise a key thought about institutional design.

In say a hundred, or even just fifty years, what can be done with this building after it is no longer big enough to house the central library? Yes expansions can be added, but that is a stop gap, unless they want to add more floors which, while no engineer, I can bet it would be expensive both to shore up the base structure, and adding the floors in its own right.

I would see it being a natural relocation of the provincial courts, from their oh-so Brutalism home now. That thinking though relies that they will still be there in fifty years.

Is there a re-purpose clause in municipal tenders?

And just as an added comment after viewing the lastest photos, I couldn't give a flying ka-zoo about the golly dancing art work. If they wanted art, it should be free display space for local artists, and the library would get a cut of any sales. Unless that's already policy and now I look like a cranky old man.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:16 PM

in 10 years they'll be more of demand for a Library and it facilities with more of the useless lazy baby boomer generation dead, and a younger society. You kink it popular for people to sit around and read books electronically you're wrong, that a fad only older people do. You're hard pressed to find anyone under the age of 30 reading a e book.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
in 10 years they'll be more of demand for a Library and it facilities with more of the useless lazy baby boomer generation dead, and a younger society. You kink it popular for people to sit around and read books electronically you're wrong, that a fad only older people do. You're hard pressed to find anyone under the age of 30 reading a e book.
I don't understand your negativity towards a particular generation. Posting such comments adds nothing to this (or any) thread.

Besides, whether you realize it or not, your generation will someday be the "old" generation and believe it or not, the younger generation at the time will not think you are cool. I hope you enjoy it when you get there.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
I also have a sense that we may be hard pressed to find anyone under 30 with any writing/grammar skills; if your post is any indication.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
The library produces these stats that claim over 40% of the citizens use their services. Frankly that has to be bogus. The people that use the library use it heavily, but it seems to me most people never go near it.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
The library produces these stats that claim over 40% of the citizens use their services. Frankly that has to be bogus. The people that use the library use it heavily, but it seems to me most people never go near it.
The heaviest users at Alderney are those who access the internet. In the winter time SGR and Alderney have a significant number of street people seeking warmth.
In metro I have used all the libraries at Dal (4), TUNS, MSVU,SMU, as well as HRL branches at SGR,Alderney, Gottingen, Woodlawn, Bedford, Sackville, Goodman.
And provincial departments : Attorney General, Labour, Energy, Development, Municipal Affairs.
We are very well served in metro.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:54 PM

Right, so does anybody thnk that this building can be repurposed then? Or was this a waste of infrastructure money with a minimal long tern effect on SGR?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Sobchak View Post
Right, so does anybody thnk that this building can be repurposed then? Or was this a waste of infrastructure money with a minimal long tern effect on SGR?
A new city hall perhaps.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Sobchak View Post
While I don't agree with the 10 year prediction, I do have to raise a key thought about institutional design.

In say a hundred, or even just fifty years, what can be done with this building after it is no longer big enough to house the central library? Yes expansions can be added, but that is a stop gap, unless they want to add more floors which, while no engineer, I can bet it would be expensive both to shore up the base structure, and adding the floors in its own right.
I don't know if this is a salient point, as downtown density will likely hit a ceiling once the residential market balances out (we're definitely not there yet). At that point, densification will likely spread to other areas such as the north end and DT Dartmouth, which already have their own library branches. While this would likely mean the need for larger branches in those areas I'm not sure that this would translate to a need for a larger downtown branch. Thus, this may be a library 'forever' unless the needs/wants of society changes over time (as it tends to do).

Also it may be a moot point as I'm not sure that most buildings built today are built to last 100 years...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 2:13 AM
Salty Town

Deleted post

Last edited by Empire; Nov 18, 2014 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 1:18 PM

I got a sneak peek at the library on Tuesday and it is sweet.

1st Floor looking North

1st Floor looking South

4th Floor looking South

3rd Floor looking South

3rd Floor looking North

2nd Floor looking North

Looking down from 3rd floor. Spiral bookcase is the holds section.

First Nations reading circle

North end of the 2nd floor, which is all for children.

4th Floor looking down

300 seat theatre. Seats on a motor that folds them and pulls them under bleachers. Theatre can be chopped up with dividers.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 1:34 PM

Views from the 5th floor or the "Living Room".

The glass actually looks orange from this angle.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
I got a sneak peek at the library on Tuesday and it is sweet.
For $60 million, it better be imported designer candy.

The interior look is cold and stark, with a huge amount of space wasted to accommodate the Killer Stairs. Those auditorium seats look like another toy just waiting to break. The abuse of the taxpayer knows no bounds.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 5:29 PM

After bemoaning what I thought might be a lack of attention to hosting actual, you know, people, on the plaza in front, I've seen a photograph somewhere on social media that shows what look to be bar stools and a raised "bar" facing Spring Garden Rd. Anyone see these prime Sleep Country Canada-watching spots in person?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
After bemoaning what I thought might be a lack of attention to hosting actual, you know, people, on the plaza in front, I've seen a photograph somewhere on social media that shows what look to be bar stools and a raised "bar" facing Spring Garden Rd. Anyone see these prime Sleep Country Canada-watching spots in person?
Yes, I noticed them earlier this week in fact. Some sort of metalwork I think - likely to be damn cold half of the year. But you can get your latte at the place inside that is trying to put the independently-run privately-owned place across the street out of business and sneer at the owner as he tries to compete with the taxpayer-subsidized cafe. It's such a shame there are no others around there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 9:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I love how dense SGR is beginning to look.......

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
... you can get your latte at the place inside that is trying to put the independently-run privately-owned place across the street out of business and sneer at the owner as he tries to compete with the taxpayer-subsidized cafe. ...
sneering is one of my favourites

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I share your bemoaning, but that sounds like a nice addition.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:15 AM

Hey also, looking at the roof shots -- isn't there supposed to be a rooftop cafe? That would be an amazing attraction, especially for tourists. Right now, it looks all mossy, like its a rooftop garden or something.

BRING ON THE ROOFTOP CAFE!

Keith loves this particular addition.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:42 AM

There is, but you can't see it in any of those pictures. If I remember right, the patio is on the corner of the roof opposite SGR/Queen; it looks like it takes up ~1/5 of the roof, the rest is a green roof.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth