HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 10:38 PM
Salty Town

Bistro Le Coq on Argyle is worth a visit. I recommend the french onion soup!

Quality reno.........

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Quality reno.........
Yea? How pricey is it? Like rock bottom brewery prices or Bicycle thief expensive? Its the girlfriend's birthday next week and I'm wondering how much i'm gonna have to shell out. She's been wanting to go here since it opened...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 4:45 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewjonsson View Post
Yea? How pricey is it? Like rock bottom brewery prices or Bicycle thief expensive? Its the girlfriend's birthday next week and I'm wondering how much i'm gonna have to shell out. She's been wanting to go here since it opened...
$100 + including a bottle of wine.......you would pay $130 at the Bicycle Thief for something similar.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 5:46 PM

Does anyone remember Thackery's? It was the upstairs part of the fireside, right at the corner of SGR and Brunswick. It eventually became the Great Canadian Bagel.

I used to loved the potato skins there...so good.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Does anyone remember Thackery's? It was the upstairs part of the fireside, right at the corner of SGR and Brunswick. It eventually became the Great Canadian Bagel.

A gerat spot, they had the best eggs benedict.

They also had great french bread that you could buy from a little hole in the wall on Branswick.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

I always found the restaurant just sort of OK, but the bar downstairs... oy vey! The memories, ah, the memories...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Quality reno.........
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Le Coq. I'll have to see for myself soon, I'd love for there to be a good French bistro close by.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:45 PM

Tomavinos Back in Business

I just called and Tomavinos is now open. They are currently take out only but say they hope to have the dining room open in the near future. The menu features all the originals with one or two new items added. Now I can get my pizza fix again it has been a long 6 months!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Le Coq. I'll have to see for myself soon, I'd love for there to be a good French bistro close by.
Took the chance and went with my wife a week ago. Apps, entre, 1 dessert, 1 2 drinks, coffees, tip - $145.

It was... good. Service was great. But, again, I can get good at Jane's for $65-80.

We walked home and my wife made the point that we ate in NYC at Mario Batali's Lupa, had amazing, and I mean amazing everything, and both got kinda drunk, and it was $160.

Coq Bistro is another RDR resto, and it is good, but not great, which is also how i feel about Onyx.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:13 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Star Anise on Barrington, if you're into Vietnamese food at all, their Pho comes in a bowl big enough you could probably drown in, and their food tastes so incredibly good, all handmade, everything is fresh and.. oh my goodness oh my goodness, the taste.. well, is something I cannot accurately convey with text. lol

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:26 PM

Personally - my favorite Chinese food place is Zen in Clayton Park. It was good price and the food was great, plus the staff always were very nice to me.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 6:01 PM

Tomavino's

After hearing all the great things about Tomavino's, both from here and from friends, I decided to give it a try last night.
First of all I am not sure why they were closed because there has been no work done on the inside of the place. In fact the main entry to the place felt like I was walking into some basement that had been renovated back in 1970.
The kitchen, fully visible from the entry, looked like it had been last renovated in the 1950's and last cleaned around the same time.
I ordered a 9 inch pizza with 3 topping (bacon, olives, pepperoni), each topping costing $1.50. The bacon was overdone. Overall, the pizza was ok but nothing to get excited about. The price for this 9 inch pizza came in at $16.68 plus a tip bringing the total cost to $19.00.
With Morris East and Piatto producing a far better product in a wood burning oven and Amano not far behind in quality, combined with pricing that is all in the same range, I don't know how this place is going to survive.

Last edited by hollistreet; Jun 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 11:21 PM

Where is Tomavino's located?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Where is Tomavino's located?
South Street. Next to the building that had the fire.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment