HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:15 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Bering Strait Crossing

Please help this project by signing my petition. The idea is so great that it may help save the world, but to do so we must get the attention of our governments away from weapons and war and towards unity, coexistence and peace. This crossing, whether in the form of a bridge or tunnel, would be a modern day tearing down of the Berlin Wall and bring peace between the world's two superpowers, America and Russia.

Please sign my petition

Now onto ideas for building it. One is an underwater tunnel (the longest tunnel in human history), and another is the longest bridge in human history. How to build the longest bridge or the longest tunnel in the most extreme climate on the world, next to Siberia and the Arctic. One idea that I had was to not build one continuous bridge but rather through dredging, build two more islands, one island between Russia and Big Diomede Island and another Island between Little Diomede Island and Alaska. Then only 5 relatively small bridges (or tunnels) would be required as opposed to one continuous one. Another idea is remove water and raise the ocean/sea water basin by adding rocks (which are abundant in Alaskan and Russian topography) and then building a not so deep tunnel. A third idea is to permanently connect the land using dredging, but that would separate the Arctic and Pacific and the natural water flow, so perhaps a final idea would be as many dredged islands as possible (perhaps 2 between Russia and the Diomedes and 2 between Alaska and the Diomedes) so that as little time, money, resources and manpower is spent on the connectors (a bridge or tunnel). I personally prefer both a bridge and tunnel because certainly this would be the most trafficked thoroughfare in the world, but any connector that has 6 lanes going and 6 lanes coming (12 lanes total) in two separate tunnels and a third tunnel for high speed rail is also acceptable. Anything that connects a, for far too long, separated world and its 8 billion inhabitants.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering