HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:22 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
what are those grey areas on the diagram? there doesn't seem to be an explanation on there... is it phase two?

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
what are those grey areas on the diagram? there doesn't seem to be an explanation on there... is it phase two?

That's where other developments will go.

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/5/5/115900...rk-development

A Sneak Peek at the Governors Island Hills

This summer, visitors to Governors Island will be able to climb 70 feet up

BY JESSICA DAILEY
MAY 5, 2016

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 5, 2016 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:15 PM

I love the new hills, but those huge stone blocks and that slide look like a slip-and-fall-lawyer's dream.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:45 PM
Show me the blueprints

All looks great. All of it. I particularly love the metal slides. They remind me of the ones I grew up with before park playgrounds replaced most of them with plastic ones.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 9:40 PM

They do a great job with the planting. The trees look great.

I just wish theyd be open more months. April-November.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
They do a great job with the planting. The trees look great.

I just wish theyd be open more months. April-November.

Eventually, it will open year round. It's still very much a work in progress. I can't wait to get up on those hills. I love biking the island. The southern esplanade isn't open yet,
but riding through the various districts of the island is great. It reopens in a couple of weeks.

https://govisland.com/blog/the-state...vernors-island

The State of Governors Island

Artist’s impression photocollage of new innovation cluster in western development zone.

FEB 9, 2016

Quote:
The transformation continues! During last week’s State of the City address, Mayor de Blasio announced his vision for Governors Island as a year-round work and play destination
for New Yorkers.

With our amazing physical transformation and infrastructure upgrades all but complete, and hundreds of thousands of visitors each year, the Trust for Governors Island can now focus on
developing a mix of uses in the Historic District, as well as the development zones to the south. Activation of the historic district and the creation of an “Innovation Cluster” will bring together
makers, entrepreneurs and educators to generate new ideas, economic activity and jobs.

Not only will this next chapter unlock the Island’s long term potential, it will also catalyze permanent and construction jobs, generate new economic activity, and help position New York City
as a world leader in technology and innovation.

This year, we will request public input on the Island’s future and release an RFP seeking formal proposals for the activation of the Island. We cannot wait to see what this dynamic
new chapter on the Island will bring!

Update, looks like the entire promenade WILL be open this year...

https://govisland.com/blog/the-hills...pening-in-2016

Quote:
Exciting news today! We are opening The Hills in the summer of 2016, nearly a year ahead of schedule. Thanks to an unseasonably warm fall and rigorous construction management,
we can complete and open the Hills in 2016 instead of completing in December 2016 and opening in May 2017.

And the Hills aren’t the only thing opening in 2016. The 2.2 mile promenade around the edge of the Island will reopen to visitors for biking and walking
for the first time
since we began the Island’s construction program in 2012. Hello, Lady Liberty!

That means you can climb, scramble, slide, stroll, sit, picnic and revel in phenomenal views with ten new acres of parkland for the first time this summer, and
you can bike all the way around the Island again!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 9, 2016 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Great video from above...

https://vimeo.com/145432414

https://govisland.com/blog

Hills, Grills and Thrills Await Visitors This Season on Governors Island!

APR 22, 2016

Quote:
Today, we announced events and programs for the 2016 public season. The Island opens to the public on Memorial Day Weekend (May 28th). In addition to the amazing array of arts, cultural and recreational programs that have made Governors Island a must-visit seasonal destination, we're offering some exciting new features! The 2016 season will include a record number of programs, exhibits and events.

First, all visitors are invited to look south where the Hills are under construction. As previously announced, the Hills, rising 25 to 70 feet above the Island, will open during the 2016 season, eight months ahead of schedule. The opening date and events for The Hills will be announced shortly.

On Memorial Day Weekend, free hardhat tours will be offered all three days so New Yorkers can preview the Hills, including a walk up to the top of Outlook Hill. Free tours will be scheduled all season until the Hills are complete and open for general use.

This season, for the first time, you will be able to GRILL out here! In response to overwhelming demand, we have are six new grills on the Island that can be reserved in advance Expanding on the Island’s popular Picnic Gathering program, started in 2015, visitors can reserve picnic tables or tables with grills on the Island’s website. The reservation even includes a Radio Flyer wagon to transport whatever groups need for their BBQ or gathering!

Favorite weekend festivals returning include the Opening Weekend Family Festival, City of Water Day, the Jazz Age Lawn Party and FIGMENT. The Island will also be the venue for the National Drone Racing Championships in early August.

Art projects include Race and Revolution, the Exquisite Corpse Company’s Inside Magritte and the Governors Island Art Fair. Performances include Welcome Home, a site specific dance piece in Nolan Park by a former Governors Island resident who did a residency in the LMCC Arts Center and A Body in Places by Eiko Otate that will be performed as a part of the River to River Festival.

Continuing the Island’s tradition as New York City’s shared space for art and play, FIGMENT is presenting an entirely new treehouse, and a new mini golf course. Climbing structures in Hammock Grove and the hedge maze in Liggett Terrace await children (and adults) of all ages.

Last edited by NYguy; May 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 5:57 PM
New Yorker for life

http://archpaper.com/2016/07/governo...lery-0-slide-9

Mathews Nielsen and West 8’s “The Hills” at Governors Island set to open this weekend

By JASON SAYER
July 11, 2016

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 1:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 12, 2016 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 11:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 2:10 AM
New Yorker for life

This has become one of my favorite places to visit around the harbor during the summer months. I'll be glad when the development is complete, the island open to the general pubic year 'round.

Video Link

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-new-park.html

http://wtop.com/travel/2016/07/new-m...views/slide/1/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:48 PM
BANNED

WOW!!!!What an amazing place!
The statue views are just gorgeous.
Kudos NY!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 12:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 5:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Can't wait to get home and get up here...

jackie weisberg

Michael Lee

governors_island

Jeffrey Blum

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 6:10 PM

I am GOBSMACKED! This is too much. Spectacular. If it is half as nice as the photos it will be one of the greatest public spaces in NY.

This entire Governor's Island development is simply wonderful.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looks fantastic

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 11:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Looks fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I am GOBSMACKED! This is too much. Spectacular. If it is half as nice as the photos it will be one of the greatest public spaces in NY.

This entire Governor's Island development is simply wonderful.

I agree. I think it's on the level of Central Park, as far as public parks and spaces go. We know New York has other great parks, but as for the new parks, both Governors Island and it's neighbor, Brooklyn Bridge Park are major additions that change the landscape of parks in New York City. Generations to come won't be able to fathom a NY without these parks.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 4:58 PM

I went last week with my wife and children (before the heat wave) and it was amazing. It was a perfect day. We rented one of those pedal cars and scooted around the entire island. Then we returned the bike and hiked down to the southern tip of the island. Along the way, we got some grub from one of the food trucks and I had a couple beers. The kids climbed on a cool jungle gym of interlocking telephone poles and I pushed them in one of several basket swings which were unlike any swing I have seen before. Then we marched on through the garden of tall grasses and wildflowers with a quick respite on a hammock before finally getting to the hills for a nice climb and view.

A couple thoughts:

It is perfectly situated. Too good to be true. One moment you are pushing your way through the throngs of downtown Manhattan and then suddenly, the madness is behind you. You cruise quickly through the open air to a lovely park. The five minute journey, by itself, makes the trip worth it.

The island is a mess of construction and run down buildings. Some of those old military buildings and houses are absolutely beautiful, but they need a lot of TLC. In the future I could picture them as hotels, bed and breakfasts, or even some type of artist enclave. The finished product is many years away, but has the potential to be one of the greatest parks in all of New York City. It's definitely not there yet.

The area south of the big U-shaped building is world-class. The building itself is handsome with fine brickwork and a dramatic archway into the garden. It is rundown but will be jewel when renovated. The area for food needs a lot of work and could be prettier, but it's fine. The food was decent enough.

The tall-grass garden is gorgeous and the playground equipment for children is great. I want to go back just for the hammocks--with a book and without kids.

The hills are beautiful to look at and are only going to get more beautiful as the grasses and shrubs grow in. The views are spectacular. On par with ESB and 1WTC. Maybe better. You are perched above and within one of the great harbors on the planet. Cargo ships wait in line as shipping cranes move frantically to keep up. Ferries, sailboats, tugs, police boats all scoot around in the interstitial water. Liberty looks over the hubbub with a satisfied look on her face. And oh yeah, the greatest city in the world is right over there. Pretty effin cool.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:42 PM
Registered Ugly

Anyone know what the waters are like nearest the shore? Could someone use a kayak to get to this park?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 3:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I went last week with my wife and children (before the heat wave) and it was amazing. It was a perfect day. We rented one of those pedal cars and scooted around the entire island. Then we returned the bike and hiked down to the southern tip of the island. Along the way, we got some grub from one of the food trucks and I had a couple beers. The kids climbed on a cool jungle gym of interlocking telephone poles and I pushed them in one of several basket swings which were unlike any swing I have seen before. Then we marched on through the garden of tall grasses and wildflowers with a quick respite on a hammock before finally getting to the hills for a nice climb and view.

A couple thoughts:

It is perfectly situated. Too good to be true. One moment you are pushing your way through the throngs of downtown Manhattan and then suddenly, the madness is behind you. You cruise quickly through the open air to a lovely park. The five minute journey, by itself, makes the trip worth it.

The island is a mess of construction and run down buildings. Some of those old military buildings and houses are absolutely beautiful, but they need a lot of TLC. In the future I could picture them as hotels, bed and breakfasts, or even some type of artist enclave. The finished product is many years away, but has the potential to be one of the greatest parks in all of New York City. It's definitely not there yet.

The area south of the big U-shaped building is world-class. The building itself is handsome with fine brickwork and a dramatic archway into the garden. It is rundown but will be jewel when renovated. The area for food needs a lot of work and could be prettier, but it's fine. The food was decent enough.

The tall-grass garden is gorgeous and the playground equipment for children is great. I want to go back just for the hammocks--with a book and without kids.

The hills are beautiful to look at and are only going to get more beautiful as the grasses and shrubs grow in. The views are spectacular. On par with ESB and 1WTC. Maybe better. You are perched above and within one of the great harbors on the planet. Cargo ships wait in line as shipping cranes move frantically to keep up. Ferries, sailboats, tugs, police boats all scoot around in the interstitial water. Liberty looks over the hubbub with a satisfied look on her face. And oh yeah, the greatest city in the world is right over there. Pretty effin cool.

Excellent review. Yeah, it's still very much a work in progress, (with years of construction ahead). But with what they've done so far easily makes it a must destination for city dwellers. As excited as I am about all of the skyscraper development around the city, I am as equally or more excited about the city's reclamation of its waterfronts. It is a city in and on the water, probably one of the most water friendly cities on earth. It should be a waterfront paradise, and with many of the new parks being built and planned, combined with the city's beaches, you could say the waterfront is the city's best asset. It's time it was given back to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Anyone know what the waters are like nearest the shore? Could someone use a kayak to get to this park?
I believe on saturdays. There are also different events with kayaking to the island...

https://mommypoppins.com/newyorkcity...-kids-families

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development