HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Yep. The entire main terminal building will be demolished in pieces and rebuilt. I haven't seen anything specific about the baggage claim area in the new terminal building but when I went through the airport yesterday there are signs of pre-construction prep everywhere.

The new terminal building will almost double the footprint of the current terminal. They are pushing into the C and D concourses to build a really large main terminal building.
I wonder how many gates this will remove from the inner facing concourses since the terminal will push further west. Just looking at the renderings, I'm thinking at least one each on C & D?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I wonder how many gates this will remove from the inner facing concourses since the terminal will push further west. Just looking at the renderings, I'm thinking at least one each on C & D?
I think so. IIRC there are four gates that are currently closed and when the project is complete two of them will reopen and two won't.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:13 PM

Are there any long-term plans to build a new Terminal A? I take it the number of gates lost in Terminal A won't be recouped with the new Terminal B and Terminal E.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Preparing to raise the roof … and set it in place

It will take three nights to move each of about 20 massive roof modules into place as part of the Portland International Airport’s $1.5 billion main terminal project.

A self-propelled modular transporter able to haul submarines and bridge spans will move the roof modules from a 20-acre concrete slab to the lay-down position at the jobsite. Moving each module into place will take one night.

“Remember the old NASA when they roll the rockets out? It kind of looks like that,” said Brad Harrison, senior manager of construction services for the Port of Portland.

On the second night, the columns will be raised and placed on the first part of large Y-columns and sliding towers. They’ll reach their final positions on the third night.
...continues at the DJC (temporarily unlocked).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
The new roof is being constructed over the existing one, and the old roof will be demolished in phases as the new roof is built and waterproofed.
That's going to be a massive building. I can't wait to watch the new roof being built over the current one.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:28 AM

I would really love to see an animated video of the construction sequencing for this. Taking a step back, if I'm understanding this correctly, they have to build the new columns through the existing building before they can install the new roof.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Are there any long-term plans to build a new Terminal A? I take it the number of gates lost in Terminal A won't be recouped with the new Terminal B and Terminal E.
I got the impression the new Terminal B will absorb all the old gate space from Terminal A, so there shouldn't be a net loss of gates.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 9:17 PM
Registered Ugly

This looks pretty impressive. Hopefully down the line this allows for more direct flights out of PDX. That's about my only gripe about the place.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 10:08 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
This looks pretty impressive. Hopefully down the line this allows for more direct flights out of PDX. That's about my only gripe about the place.
I think that's in the cards--but it has gotten SO much better. I remember when there were only three daily directs to NYC--and now Delta alone does three a day during summer (not during pandemic summers though), and I believe Alaska has three as well. And two airlines servicing directs to London, a direct to Tokyo, supposedly directs to Paris and Seoul were in the works pre-COVID.

Totally agree we're not as rich in directs as Seattle or SF, but man, it's so much better than it was a decade ago.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
I think that's in the cards--but it has gotten SO much better. I remember when there were only three daily directs to NYC--and now Delta alone does three a day during summer (not during pandemic summers though), and I believe Alaska has three as well. And two airlines servicing directs to London, a direct to Tokyo, supposedly directs to Paris and Seoul were in the works pre-COVID.

Totally agree we're not as rich in directs as Seattle or SF, but man, it's so much better than it was a decade ago.
Do we currently have ANY direct international flights? I noticed that we're no longer on Icelandair's destination map...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:

I became an airline fan in the late 1970s and geeked out on route data. At that time PDX had no non stops east of Chicago and the only international flights were to Vancouver.

Before deregulation of the industry, airlines were "forced" to fly unprofitable routes in order to get the rights to fly profitable ones. This lead to some interesting routes, like TWA flying Lockheed L1011 jumbo tri-jets from PDX to SEA to STL. Eastern flew L1011s from PDX to SEA to ATL. Today all PDX - SEA flights are on commuter jets or turboprops.

I flew PDX - SEA on an Eastern L1011 (about 300 seats) - there were about 5 passengers on board.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:

BA never launched their flights to PDX for obvious reasons. Given that they're planning on canceling routes to destinations they already serve, I wouldn't expect that flight to launch in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Do we currently have ANY direct international flights? I noticed that we're no longer on Icelandair's destination map...
I was meant to be on the PDX-AMS flight this past Saturday. Before I canceled my trip, Delta had rebooked me to onto the SEA-AMS flight. Given that Europe and the US have reciprocal travel bans I do wonder how that flight is still operating? I assume that the PDX-AMS flight will return at some point, but right now I can't seem to find any dates where it can be booked.

The Volaris flight to Guadalajara, the Alaska flight to Cancun (possibly other Mexican destinations too?) and the Air Canada flight to Vancouver all appear to be operating. So it looks like we currently have international flights, but not international long haul flights?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 4:20 PM

The Amsterdam and Frankfurt direct flights from PDX show up as available in summer 2021, but only on select days. We'll see if they stick around.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:38 PM
Well designed mixed use

I believe that the international flights will come back post COVID. As long as the economic fallout isn't too deep and prolonged, business travel will almost certainly pick back up. We have a lot of work to do as a city, but I believe we'll get there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:47 PM

Allegiant Announces New Nonstop Service From Portland to Three Destinations
Port of Portland
Jan 12th, 2021

Quote:
Allegiant announces service from Portland International Airport (PDX) to three new cities: Santa Maria, Monterey, and Idaho Falls.

“Portlanders who are looking for opportunities to visit places where they can safely recreate will find them in Santa Maria, Monterey and Idaho Falls,” said Drew Wells, Allegiant’s vice president of revenue and planning. “Those destinations offer great outdoor experiences. And Portland is a gateway to world-class recreation for visitors.”

New service from Portland International Airport (PDX) includes:

Santa Maria, California via Santa Maria Airport (SMX) – beginning April 15
Monterey, California via Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) – beginning May 28
Idaho Falls, Idaho via Idaho Falls Regional Airport (IDA) – beginning May 28
The new flights will operate twice weekly.
continues ...https://www.aviationpros.com/airline...e-destinations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:49 AM

Icelandair to resume nonstop service to Iceland

https://portofportland.com/Newsroom/...ated-Travelers

3x/week from July 2, 2021, with many connections available to Europe mainland, UK British Isles.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 3:00 PM

I'm so glad to see this - I was worried that flight wasn't coming back. US citizens still can't enter Schengen countries (except Iceland and maybe Greece soon) but I'm hoping that changes by August or September.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 3:37 PM
BANNED

Does anyone know the status of Delta's AMS, LHR, or HND routes? As well as Condor's flight to FRA? Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future__Mayor View Post
Does anyone know the status of Delta's AMS, LHR, or HND routes? As well as Condor's flight to FRA? Thanks.
Considering most of Europe is still in lockdown,.this isn't happening until 2022. Also, Delta has retired a lot of their long haul aircraft and don't expect business travel to rebound until 2023 it maybe a while, especially for a lower tier city like Portland.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:45 AM

Per google/flights, the delta flight to ams returns on july 3rd, hnd July 1st. Likewise, the flight to fra on may 21st. The flight to lhr doesn't show up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure