Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Exactly. I'm wondering if some of the commentors know what they are looking at--that's not the Wacker Drive cut through that cars will be passing though regularly. This is literally the lowest level of the complex--a simple tunnel connecting the Chicago riverwalk to the Lakeshore East neighborhood.

It's more than tall enough for passengers, vehicles, etc. I don't think pictures give justice to the true ceiling height if you were walking through there in person.
Much of Lake Shore East has 3 levels of street access which is what allows it to be one of the nations most dense collection of high rises.

Wiki link.. Area marked with "fence" is where current Vista's Field Blvd underpass is.

This is not up to date since the Riverwalk is now extended along the river bank all the way to lake front trail with an underpass for LSD.

Last edited by jpIllInoIs; Nov 18, 2020 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Exactly. I'm wondering if some of the commentors know what they are looking at--that's not the Wacker Drive cut through that cars will be passing though regularly. This is literally the lowest level of the complex--a simple tunnel connecting the Chicago riverwalk to the Lakeshore East neighborhood.

It's more than tall enough for passengers, vehicles, etc. I don't think pictures give justice to the true ceiling height if you were walking through there in person.
it's also the same level as the very scary city vehicle impound lot, under three levels of wacker drive roadway.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
it's also the same level as the very scary city vehicle impound lot, under three levels of wacker drive roadway.
Been to that god forsaken place a few times and was much poorer for it....damn snow routes dates regardless of actual weather!! The passthrough does not look half bad considering where it is, looks like there is even a pattern on the eastern part of the sidewalk.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Been to that god forsaken place a few times and was much poorer for it....damn snow routes dates regardless of actual weather!! The passthrough does not look half bad considering where it is, looks like there is even a pattern on the eastern part of the sidewalk.
I was just going by the pictures. Unfortunately I haven’t been to Chicago in over 20 years 🙁. Looks like it’s going to be the swankiest tunnel in the underworld!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
I was just going by the pictures. Unfortunately I haven’t been to Chicago in over 20 years 🙁. Looks like it’s going to be the swankiest tunnel in the underworld!
I was talking about the car impound lot as being god forsaken.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I was talking about the car impound lot as being god forsaken.
Ooph. Bad times indeed.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
And what’s up with those two random black pipes?
Yeah I was wondering that. Punchlist item?

The undercroft space is really beautiful in person. It's better to look at it from the Riverwalk side, the clean white lighting is like a beacon luring you to walk across the awful, pigeon shit-stained yellow tinted dystopia of Lowest Wacker.

I wish they could have done something about that dystopia, I think they narrowed the roadway a bit and moved some curbs for a safer pedestrian crossing but it's still very grimy and the sodium vapor lamps are not inviting. I still remember as a kid parking right here and having our car broken into by a homeless guy who stole a brown-bag lunch.

Maybe someday the city will come back through and upgrade the lights to LEDs in all these "underground" spaces...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:20 PM

Lord Blair's take from today: https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...g54-story.html

He deducts a few points for the blow-through, but ignores the sloppy treatment of the mechanical floors.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Lord Blair's take from today: https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...g54-story.html

He deducts a few points for the blow-through, but ignores the sloppy treatment of the mechanical floors.
He ignores a lot of sh*t... and, by the way, the building isn't even finished yet...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:07 PM

I gotta say I have been impressed with the attempt at a gradient with the colored glass on vista. It turned out way better than I thought it would. Creating an even color progression is really easy to get wrong in any medium cause people are really sensitive to the slightest variation from the pattern. I imagine it's especially difficult with glass that's going to be seen in all sorts of different lighting conditions etc.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:43 PM
BANNED

This is a nice bit of information, not previously known to me:
"In another urban design plus, Vista is turning what used to be the dull dead end of East Wacker into a small park, open to the public, that will overlook the river and Navy Pier. OLIN landscape architects of Philadelphia are handling that part of the project."

Also, I am very much looking forward to this, along with a cocktail:
"There is one extraordinary interior space: the hotel’s restaurant, which flaunts 38-foot ceilings and massive, dramatically canted concrete columns that are pulled back from the façade to maintain riverfront views. This is a bravura display of old-fashioned Chicago muscle. Metal window frames subdivide the cube’s exterior into truncated pyramids, further breaking down the tower’s scale."

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:52 PM

So if yall could choose. Would you pick the mechanical floors to go or the blow through floor to go

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post

I dont know how its possible to ignore the glaring random mechanical floors/screen that was done...Blair is supposed to be the biggest stickler for all that stuff? I have even seen promotional pictures of vista with the mechanical screens not even shown...that's how bad it is when you cant even accurately depict the building that is built with what your showing in ad's.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
I dont know how its possible to ignore the glaring random mechanical floors/screen that was done...Blair is supposed to be the biggest stickler for all that stuff? I have even seen promotional pictures of vista with the mechanical screens not even shown...that's how bad it is when you cant even accurately depict the building that is built with what your showing in ad's.
I think he doesn't mind them because unlike the blow through they only interrupt the tower's flow from one side, and I quite frankly agree with him on this.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
So if yall could choose. Would you pick the mechanical floors to go or the blow through floor to go
The mechanical is worse for me. I strongly dislike the single louvers on the east and west side. Always steals my attention

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 3:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 1:05 PM

So much for Vista Tower. St. Regis it is.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...5ha-story.html

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 1:41 PM

Patron saint of lacey things . ( or lace makers )

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 2:51 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Nice to finally know what hotel is going in. I prefer the name over 'Vista' tower, at least St. Regis is a brand that people recognize more easily.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture