HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Mandarin Oriental Tower Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 1:29 AM

^ not on my primary machine, i'll look tomorrow

it definitely had a continuous vertical element at the NE corner, and I'm pretty sure the sections were horizontally divided at about the same proportion as 340 OTP. Same cladding/material/color scheme too IIRC.

The sizes and shapes are different, but the design motif were related (similar to SCB B37=>Heritage). Historically SCB doesn't reuse design "concepts", unlike LLG, D+P, MJ, etc.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 8:05 AM

I'll post those renderings eventually but someone else will beat me to it likely. Ironically, as I recall, they looked a bit like Waterview Tower.

Now, unless we assume that the HK blokes are total defectives, I think this thread is premature. I can't think of a worse site downtown to build. To the S, total obstruction from 2 Pru. To the W and N, the black walls of Illinois Center. To the E, the Park Millenium, and eventually 2 x 70 at Lakeshore East. You'd have to get forty stories up to get any views of anything. Even the 65 E. Huron site was better. Not to mention that it's dead at street level, not too close to the loop, not close to River North 9compared to other plays like the Grand Pier site).

The only things I can think of here are: 1. The big boys still need to go and take a look in person. 2. They're sending a signal to Teng and / or Mills. 3. They're hoping for the convention marktet. #2 is the only likely one.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 8:47 AM
samsonyuen

Looks good. How about a Shangri-La too?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 1:21 PM

In that location, none of the hotel rooms will have any kind of decent view. They only go up to floor 15. Yeah, I agree, I think a tall building is wasted on such a location, but we could be wrong. I suppose that piece of land was pretty cheap. However, I think it will help that part of town be a little more exciting, because it is a snore right now.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 1:49 PM

^^
The Four Seasons two blocks away has restricted views now. Soon it too will be enclosed. And the Hyatt Regency...all but the riverside tend to be open to views. And they both tend to do great business.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 2:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

well, Dan K. was kind enough to email me those old boulevard east towers renderings from SCB, so here they are:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 3:02 PM

That looks almost exactly like the Heritage to me. Just different colors. I expect something different

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 3:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ dude, don't get confused, the renderings i posted ARE NOT THE RENDERINGS FOR THIS PROPOSAL. they are from an older SCB proposal for the same piece of land from a couple years ago. SCB may be updating this design or they could just as easily design a whole new scheme for the property.

right now, we don't know anything, so don't assume that those old boulevard east renderings have any bearing on reality, i just wanted to see them again to get an idea what SCB had in mind for the site on their first go round several years ago.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
^^
The Four Seasons two blocks away has restricted views now. Soon it too will be enclosed. And the Hyatt Regency...all but the riverside tend to be open to views. And they both tend to do great business.
Huh? The Four Season is in 900 N. Michigan Av. wherer Bloomingdales in located. Do you mean the Fairmont?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 3:44 PM

No, I understand I was just stating my opinion on that design.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 3:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ oh, ok, cool.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
^^
Huh? The Four Season is in 900 N. Michigan Av. wherer Bloomingdales in located. Do you mean the Fairmont?
Yeah...lol...Fairmont. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
so don't assume that those old boulevard east renderings have any bearing on reality
They won't, just check 29 S Wabash to see that SCB comes to the plate with something new each time. They do refine and borrow from previous unused designs. Those Blvd East renderings are as I remembered, and I'd say it's the parent concept of 340 OTP.

I wasn't trying to convey that they were the exact same, but they share a design concept, and since 340 OTP is final product it is much more refined.

Quote:
That looks almost exactly like the Heritage to me.
To see the Heritage's parent concept check out the SCB Block 37 tower, the version with the walled in Lord & Taylor store. We all had renderings from Crain's a few years back.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2005, 2:09 AM
Content provider

I realize that's not the rendering, but how tall is the tower in that rendering, just for reference?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2005, 3:36 AM

^well, 2 Pru is what, 995' or something? I believe the world's tallest not over 1000'.

I'd say Blvd East is 1000' to spire, 850' for the tower.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2005, 3:57 AM
Freakbirthed

^I hope they build the MOI 997 feet to take over the new world's tallest less than 1000 feet!
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted Jun 12, 2005, 2:38 PM

OH
MY
GOD

Chicago rocks!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 8:15 AM

I sent another email to MOH and I got this response...

Below is the email coorespondande.

To: Katie McCall
Subject: Re: RE: Possible Chicago Location for your hotels...

Ms. McCall-

I wanted to thank you very much about the press release you sent to me. It was very helpful. I can't wait to see this tower get built.
There is so much happening here in Chicago in terms of architecture and construction right now, and it's fascinating watching the skyline change before my eyes.

I was wondering, is there a rendering of the tower available? I'd like to see how the design looks and what the quality of the architecture is. I have faith in Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates. They've been doing some wonderful designs lately.

Another question that I have, is when does Mandarin Oriental plan for construction to begin?

One thing I find interesting is the location of this project. The building is going to be build at the corner of Lake and Stetson, and I don't know if you are familiar with Chicago, but in that area you have the the city's 2nd and 5th tallest, and the Mandarin Tower will be somewhat hidden in the skyline. What was the reason for the choice of this location?

I hope that you can answer some of these questions, and I do hope to hear back from you.

Butler V. Adams
Architecture Student

THE RESPONSE

Dear Butler,
At this time, there is not a rendering available. Answers to your other questions are below.

* When will Mandarin Oriental, Chicago open?
Mandarin Oriental, Chicago is scheduled to open in early 2008.

* Why Chicago?

Chicago is clearly another "brand-defining" world city and is the second largest financial center in the US. Chicago is a key destination for US and global business travelers, and has a thriving leisure market with museums, shopping, fine dining and many cultural and tourist attractions. Transportation to and from this important Midwestern U.S. city is among the most accessible in the world; Chicago's O'Hare Airport handles more than 55,000 domestic flights and 7,000 international flights a month - with more passengers than any other international airport.

§ As an important world city, Chicago can support a true luxury hotel such as Mandarin Oriental and we will be ale to command excellent average rates.

* Why did MOHG pick the Millennium Park area?

The Millennium Park area offers a remarkable location in the heart of Chicago's growing business district, close to the Financial District, as well as shopping along the Magnificent Mile, amongst other key attractions.

Millennium Park itself is an exciting new icon for the city of Chicago, with world-class art, music, stunning architecture and landscape design, as well as the most sophisticated outdoor concert venue of its kind in the United States, designed by renowned American architect, Frank Gehry.

The hotel is also ideally placed for easy access to McCormick Place, the largest convention facility in America. The area is also serviced by a well-developed transport infrastructure, including direct Pedway access from the development. The hotel is part of a 1.2 million square-foot mixed-use development, with deluxe condominiums as well as upscale retail shops within the building.

* Who are your partners?
The project is being developed by Illinois Center Development, LLC (ICDG), a private investment partnership formed by the development team of Frank Leo and Gerard Kenny of Chicago, Illinois. Mr. Kenny's firm Kenny Construction Company will be leading construction of the overall project.

* Who are the architects, and interior designers?
The award-winning firm of Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB) will be lead architect coordinating with Patrick Danan of ICDG. The interior design firm will be appointed shortly.

I guess that they know what they want. I will try to kee in contact with her guys to try to obtain a rendering when one is available.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 8:48 AM

So it's a convention play... Given the location, I'm *against.* But assuming that they need to sell a lot of condos before breaking ground, I hope that this project will share the fate of 65 E. Huron.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Given the location, I'm *against.*
hmm, any reason why? All the hotels east of Michigan are filled with conventioners, and 2 of them are hotel/convention centers themselves. It'll also be the 3rd tallest in the immediate vacinity. Just asking, I'm not seeing anything bad w/this project yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive