HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 12:36 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
Lol. This will be my first snarky post here ever

PFD has been internationally renowned in the Fire Industry for being a cutting edge leader for decades, starting in the late 70's with one of the world's most progressive and famous Fire Chiefs in history: Alan Brunacini.

(snark begins with images of Kramer coming to mind)I'm not sure what experience you have in operating fire equipment, or which stuctural fire incidents you've commanded, but those conclusions are a little out there, haha.

Now, one of the hall marks of a progressive fire department is seriously entertaining constructive criticism. But what you laid out ain't it, lol

Snark aside, sincerely, you are always welcome to go to any fire station here and bounce your theories on how to mitigate any and all incidents.
You’re confusing snark with arrogance. Go Google “fire truck urban design” and realize that this question is being asked over and over again.

Insisting on wider streets for public safety does the exact opposite.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
You’re confusing snark with arrogance. Go Google “fire truck urban design” and realize that this question is being asked over and over again.

Edited. Not worth arguing with you.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Oct 6, 2020 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 2:04 AM
Modulator

This topic honestly has progressed beyond Astra and really should be moved under the transportation thread.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:

My apologies for coming across as being snarky, or arrogant, etc. But in all fairness, you have a tendency to be very condescending here. More so than any admin I've ever seen in any of the dozens of message boards and social media groups I follow. Now, it's your right as an admin to be as arrogant as you desire, but I felt it’s only fair to do the same a single time, in kind.

I've been in this field for decades, so obviously I've seen the urban design discussions for years. The discussions by people who've never taken the time to research through actual ride-alongs, to see the realities of firefighting and providing EMS service in this very unique, modern city are completely removed from reality.

Now please tell me exactly how this applies to PFD(PFD has a much more broad scope of responsibilities than the vast majority of European departments). Then run through in detail our trucks, the equipment on it, and the specific calls we are charged with mitigating, then please explain logically which equipment we should leave behind in exchange for smaller trucks.

And please explain in detail the cost of safety we'd exchange for smaller equipment. The fact is, our trucks are jam-packed with necessary equipment, and the size and configuration of the trucks themselves only have our safety in mind. We'd carry more equip if we had the room. And so many things like collapse profile and onboard water, play a huge role in what we're charged with accomplishing. Anything less means less protection for our citizens, their property and our own lives. None of that may matter to some, but it certainly does to us, as well as the majority of citizens

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
My apologies for coming across as being snarky, or arrogant, etc. But in all fairness, you have a tendency to be very condescending here. More so than any admin I've ever seen in any of the dozens of message boards and social media groups I follow. Now, it's your right as an admin to be as arrogant as you desire, but I felt it’s only fair to do the same a single time, in kind.

I've been in this field for decades, so obviously I've seen the urban design discussions for years. The discussions by people who've never taken the time to research through actual ride-alongs, to see the realities of firefighting and providing EMS service in this very unique, modern city are completely removed from reality.

Now please tell me exactly how this applies to PFD(PFD has a much more broad scope of responsibilities than the vast majority of European departments). Then run through in detail our trucks, the equipment on it, and the specific calls we are charged with mitigating, then please explain logically which equipment we should leave behind in exchange for smaller trucks.

And please explain in detail the cost of safety we'd exchange for smaller equipment. The fact is, our trucks are jam-packed with necessary equipment, and the size and configuration of the trucks themselves only have our safety in mind. We'd carry more equip if we had the room. And so many things like collapse profile and onboard water, play a huge role in what we're charged with accomplishing. Anything less means less protection for our citizens, their property and our own lives. None of that may matter to some, but it certainly does to us, as well as the majority of citizens
Well said. Thank you for everything that you do each and every day.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:24 PM

combosean i wrote a pretty lengthy rant about your condescending attitude and the way you talk to people like they know nothing and I deleted it to keep from looking like an instigator, now that someone else has brought it up I want to jump back in. I can't recall you ever conceding to another person that they were right.

right now you're arguing with someone who is, apparently, a long tenured first responder. I think you're out of your element and it reminds me of our president insisting that his scientists know less about covid than he does.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Thanks, brother, very much appreciated.

I try very hard to stay away from social media arguments, because so much nuance is lost in these exchanges, and I'm more interested in people getting along than I am with being right about anything, so I'll let all this go now.

I hope everyone has great day!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Oh, and Go Sun Devils! Herm's boys are going to tear it up this year

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:08 AM
Skyriser

Quote:

First off, I never knew that I was condescending to anybody, especially compared to the glut of asshole moderators elsewhere. If anybody thinks I’m being condescending, they are free to point out my behavior because I am one of the first to admit that I’m wrong.

And in that light, with that explanation, you’ve offered a lot of points that have I have not seen offered in such detail before. Thank you.

Probably a lot easier to widen the road then convert to whatever the urbanistas are fetishizing about. I suppose my beef is that this has always been a one-way street, no pun intended, with fire departments deciding what’s important, but you’re right...Fire department apparatuses are designed to respond to whatever call at any time and that is the better way. Maybe there’s a middle ground, maybe there’s not. The two sides are intractable.

Finally, I know my name is bold around here, but I’m still a normal human being and I only exercise moderation power is when people are being disruptive or the board is going to hell. I’m not going to ban anyone for having a contrary opinion. And I shouldn’t be overly entitled to my own.

Lastly, firefighters are amongst the best of the best. Sorry if that was lost in my comment.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:
First off, I never knew that I was condescending to anybody, especially compared to the glut of asshole moderators elsewhere. If anybody thinks I’m being condescending, they are free to point out my behavior because I am one of the first to admit that I’m wrong.

And in that light, with that explanation, you’ve offered a lot of points that have I have not seen offered in such detail before. Thank you.

Probably a lot easier to widen the road then convert to whatever the urbanistas are fetishizing about. I suppose my beef is that this has always been a one-way street, no pun intended, with fire departments deciding what’s important, but you’re right...Fire department apparatuses are designed to respond to whatever call at any time and that is the better way. Maybe there’s a middle ground, maybe there’s not. The two sides are intractable.

Finally, I know my name is bold around here, but I’m still a normal human being and I only exercise moderation power is when people are being disruptive or the board is going to hell. I’m not going to ban anyone for having a contrary opinion. And I shouldn’t be overly entitled to my own.

Lastly, firefighters are amongst the best of the best. Sorry if that was lost in my comment.
Ok, so now you know! I have a picture of your tweet going hard core leftist against the board. Should I post it? (You know what I'm talking about). Don't ban me just so I can't post it!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:43 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
Ok, so now you know! I have a picture of your tweet going hard core leftist against the board. Should I post it? (You know what I'm talking about). Don't ban me just so I can't post it!
Well considering that I only have an exclusively private Twitter account, you’re just lying and pointlessly antagonizing moderators is generally not a good idea.

Unless maybe you went into this grand conspiracy against me for some bizarre reason that I could never understand without being on whatever it is you’re on.

Grow up.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
I swear this is a group of sensitive users, If you dont like whats going on, move on! I'm more surprised someone hasnt stuck up to the bully on this board, who I think should of been removed a while ago. Yet that user is praised when he attacks another user.

You all need to get your priorities straight and check your sensitivity at the door.

Combusean, you are good, dont let this get to you

Secondly, NONE OF THIS has to to with Astra! Get off the forum!!!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 1:23 PM

Speaking of Astra what is the next step for this project. Is it the permitting process?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Speaking of Astra what is the next step for this project. Is it the permitting process?
The project is pending final approval from the city, I believe is this week.

Hopefully there is some action soon.

CrestedSaguaro has been great with finding out these meeting dates.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 3:19 PM

Thanks BA. So it's final approval, then the permitting process. I also agree that Crested Saguaro does a great job keeping this forum updated.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:02 PM
Chase M

Hopefully we'll get to see some new renderings soon!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:17 PM

Astra was received final approval yesterday from city. l guess permitting process is next.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Astra was received final approval yesterday from city. l guess permitting process is next.
Let's get this bad boy rolling!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 10:21 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...20two%20towers.

So what now? Permitting and then construction starts? Are we thinking this will be done by 2022? Very exciting stuff!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 11:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolo View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...20two%20towers.

So what now? Permitting and then construction starts? Are we thinking this will be done by 2022? Very exciting stuff!
Pretty much. One forumer here said they are ready to roll, so they will probably push permits through fairly quick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest