HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 5:37 AM

[Westphal] Stonemount at Loon Lake (Loonview Lane) | ? m | 7&6 fl | Approved

New proposal by Lake Loon Developments for their lands at 661 Main Street (east of Forest Hills Parkway/Extension).

"Ekistics Design Ltd. on behalf of Lake Loon Developments has submitted an application to amend the Cole Harbour/Westphal Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By law for to permit a residential development on property adjacent to Lake Loon. Initial concepts for the proposed development include a mixture of residential housing forms including townhouses (approximately 44 units) and two seven storey apartment buildings (approximately 118 units)."

Case 18288 Details

A Public Information Meeting is scheduled for July 3rd @ 7pm @ Cole Harbour Place.

This project could be better but considering the small area they have to work with I think it is a great layout for the area. There's no residential abutting this site but its location at a very important intersection along a commercial stretch is a great spot for medium-high density residential. The setback along the lake is more extensive than normal and it will provide a nice mix of units for what is currently a single-household area.

The only major downside is the lack of Metro Transit service. There is currently NO bus routes running down that portion of Main Street. The closest buses are Route 61 & 68 on Hillsboro Drive (~7 min walk) and Route 62 on Flying Cloud Drive (~9 min walk). These are okay walk times but I think in the medium-term a transit terminal will be needed in the area (at Main and Hillsboro). Place a Park N' Ride there for the (coming soon) Porter's Lake MetroX and it could be quite successful.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 3:15 PM

Traffic

Hello,

I like to see a traffic study for this site. What is the impact of this dev. on traffic??!!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfot View Post
Hello,

I like to see a traffic study for this site. What is the impact of this dev. on traffic??!!!
I think it falls below the threshold for a study. If I remember correctly, under 50 units and it's not required. I know out here in Calgary if you are under 100 units - a Traffic Impact Analysis isn't required.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think it falls below the threshold for a study. If I remember correctly, under 50 units and it's not required. I know out here in Calgary if you are under 100 units - a Traffic Impact Analysis isn't required.
There actually isn't a threshold required for a traffic analysis for submitting a planning application - the applicant will be required to do a Traffic Impact Statement and then maybe a study (if it's found that the traffic impact on the existing streets warrant it).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 11:31 PM

Community members upset with proposed development

Quote:
On July 3, HRM staff reached out to local residents surrounding Lake Loon in Dartmouth to provide feedback on proposed residential re-zoning.

The area in question is behind the Gateway Market on Main Street. The meeting was held at Cole Harbour Place.

The parcel of land is currently designated as highway commercial, but nothing has been developed in the area with that designation.

Regional council and HRM staff is proposing to change the land to residential.

One of the developers, Ekistics Design Ltd. on behalf of Lake Loon Developments, which wants to use the land for residential purposes illustrated a concept for the land.

The proposed development includes a mixture of residential housing forms, including townhouses (approximately 44 units) and two seven storey apartment buildings (approximately 118 units).

Colin Chisholm
Herald Community Writer
colin.andrew.chisholm@gmail.com

Article published in "Dartmouth Community News" on thechronicleherald.ca

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 12:26 AM

I have to say it. Have these people got nothing else to do? Not one issue in the article is an issue. These people must lie awake at nite dreaming these things up.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 2:54 PM
we built this city

Complete with a "what about the children" quote!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 6:12 PM
You talkin' to me?

I also find it funny that all these people come out to oppose a development like this citing traffic concerns, yet you don't hear a peep from anybody about the large sprawling developments around Lake Echo/Porters Lake which add traffic to the exact same stretch of road. Andwhere will the children play? Oh I don't know, one of the other endless parks and green spaces in this city maybe? Not everything can be a damn park...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:07 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I wrote a little bit of a "vent" Letter to the Editor after reading that article, no idea if it'll be posted or not, as it did run a tad long.. although I have had a full page length 2 column LttE posted before.. so who knows!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 7:10 PM

Public Information Meeting: September 4th, 2013 @ 7pm @ Cole Harbour Place (Westphal Room)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:00 PM

Hey Skyscraper Page people ... new Public Information Meeting on this project tomorrow night ... would love to get some positive support for increasing the residential uses on this serviced corridor ...

Would be great to see some of you folks there ...

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case18288Details.html

-Jacob

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:45 PM

This proposal will have a public hearing the near future. The plans can be seen below and it looks great considering the lake concerns and unusual lot layout.

Case 18288

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:33 PM
BUILD!

Council is set to talk about this project tonight at 6pm during their meeting.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:46 PM

Nine years later ...

Since the last post this project was approved, phase 1 constructed, bankrupt, foreclosed, sold, redesigned and is now back before HEMDCC for approval again.

One block of townhouses was built and is inhabited. The rest of the development has been purchased by Quest Capital Inc. They are proposing two Stonemount branded assisted living facilities of 7 & 6 storeys with ~300 units each.

Case 23052 - Amending Agreement for Loonview Lane

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 8:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Finally, We've been waiting for something to fill in that lot. Guess that's the end of the Fair coming there in May and September.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 4:38 AM

This now has an active Develpment-Only permit in the works for both buildings at 300 units each.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs