HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
or a complete demolition if we're really lucky.

what a dreadfully awful building.
If you look at it, that's another OCS site just waiting to happen. Knock down that trash and build another megablock project like OCS. This vertical turd is just holding down the fort until demand gets pent up enough to build something awesome there.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

FitzGerald

Remember 633 S. LaSalle? Turns out it will be one of the first US locations for The Collective, a London-based chain of co-living spaces. Small (250 sq ft) individual rooms with baths and kitchenettes, 381 in all, organized into suites like a dorm for young professionals. The Dept. of Buildings wants them to have short-term leases, rather than operate like an extended-stay hotel. Their London experience has been that not all residents are young; at their London Old Oak project, 15% of residents are over 35. Lots of amenities for residents, of course, and ground-floor lounge and cafe supposedly open to the public.

They say they're ready to build, but Ald. King (Motorists First Party-4th) has been holding up their grant of privilege in the public way (for two of their caisson bells) because they have no onsite parking.
If there's one thing a person living in a 250sf apartment needs, it's a parking spot for the car they use for costco runs. ha.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I just got back from Eastern Europe and this looks exactly like every soviet era communist apartment block that I saw. Also are those air bubbles??
That is severe heat deformation. I'm assuming those are aluminum panels?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Cladding on Home2Suites on Clark - looks like it is too loose - and pop rivets ?
Just....wow. I see they're subcontracting façade work to Morton Buildings?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:10 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

FitzGerald

Remember 633 S. LaSalle? Turns out it will be one of the first US locations for The Collective, a London-based chain of co-living spaces. Small (250 sq ft) individual rooms with baths and kitchenettes, 381 in all, organized into suites like a dorm for young professionals. The Dept. of Buildings wants them to have short-term leases, rather than operate like an extended-stay hotel. Their London experience has been that not all residents are young; at their London Old Oak project, 15% of residents are over 35. Lots of amenities for residents, of course, and ground-floor lounge and cafe supposedly open to the public.

They say they're ready to build, but Ald. King (Motorists First Party-4th) has been holding up their grant of privilege in the public way (for two of their caisson bells) because they have no onsite parking.
Another reason to get rid of Aldermanic powers. Hopefully LL succeeds in this.

If I were the developers, I would operate this as an extended stay hotel rather than apartments, though. CRLTO doesn't apply to hotels....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 6:13 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Baron View Post
Got lucky and took a video of the storm. Some frames from the video. Tried to post to the Essex thread but can't seem to post there.
I worked in the Sears Tower for the summers of 1995 and 1996 and one of my favorite things was watching thunderstorms roll in from the west, and hearing lightning strike the building!
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 6:55 PM

Did anyone attend the city council health and environmental protection committee hearing oday, 10am-noon.
There was a hearing on bird strikes and a bird protection ordinance. Sounds like it would have a big effect on skyscraper design if adopted.

https://birdfriendlychicago.org/ordinance

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 6:59 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I worked in the Sears Tower for the summers of 1995 and 1996 and one of my favorite things was watching thunderstorms roll in from the west, and hearing lightning strike the building!
That's awesome, what floor did you work on?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 8:53 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That's awesome, what floor did you work on?
It was only the 23rd, but that was high enough to see over anything West of there at the time (still true, I think). Also, being pre-9/11, as long as we were discrete we could go to the sky lobbies on the 66/67 floors, which have a great views. Security is much tighter now.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:07 PM

Also that 633 lasalle project needs to get going asap!, that alderman is a joke and needs to be talked to or the developers could just add a 2 story podium and make this 22 floors instead.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:48 AM

Rush expansion is in site prep as of today!!!

Drove by the Rush expansion and saw construction trailers, as well as power construction fencing, and excavators starting this tower and its new parking garage today!!!

Last edited by Hourstrooper; Apr 25, 2019 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Did anyone attend the city council health and environmental protection committee hearing oday, 10am-noon.
There was a hearing on bird strikes and a bird protection ordinance. Sounds like it would have a big effect on skyscraper design if adopted.

I guess now we don't have to worry about the city turning into a boring, blue glass behemoth anymore (not that that should have been a legit concern)...

Hopefully it just doesn't turn our architecture to complete trash.

Awesome updates all around though everyone!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:21 AM

Realtor Building addition:

Spring is in full swing

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

At least Chicagoans are sensible enough to not go full-DeBlasio and ban steel and glass towers altogether.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

^de Blasio isn't really banning glass and steel skyscrapers. But thinking people already knew that.

The Bill de Blasio "glass skyscraper ban" explained:

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/4/24/1851...skyscraper-ban

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Realtor Building addition:

What's the red crane to the NW of the realtor building?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:56 PM

Hoxton Hotel (200 N Green) rooftop bar/restaurant Cabra is open with amazing views... you can walk in a grab a drink at the bar without reservations and enjoy the outdoor areas...

views at sunset are spectacular though likely short lived given the current construction underway all around this location.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:05 PM

Are we going to get a page 1 update soon? there's a lot of projects that have been completed and a lot of new ones that have started that need to be re organized, and even more coming in the next few months so my question is if somebody will be redoing that page as well as the completely messed up actual city of Chicago page non forum version??? I can compile a list of projects that have started recently and ones that are done...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 12:11 AM

Various projects

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:02 AM
Chicago

353 W Grand

April 25, 2019

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations