HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:11 PM
Engineer

I've got another question concerning a quote from this article:

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/com...df53ead28.html

Quote:
Creating islands in the lake would also reduce the surface area, which in turn would reduce evaporation. Parker touted it as water conservation, but Abbott said it would also reduce the source water for snow pack.

“There are all of these ecological effects, I know about 100 water researchers in the state of Utah, and I haven’t talked to a single one of them who says, yeah, we think that this can work, that they can achieve the goals,” Abbott said.

“Let’s put that science together and say, where do we come out on that? Will this work?” Parker said. “It has worked in thousands of others of lakes. Has it not worked in others? Yes … and Norway is already doing this.”
What is Todd Parker talking about when he says thousands of other lakes and that Norway is already doing this?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
You can kind of estimate from this:

I'm sure it says somewhere in their proposal which can be accessed here:

http://utahlakerestoration.com/
OMG! They're going to do cheesy shaped islands like Dubai? This is so incredibly tacky.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
I've got another question concerning a quote from this article:

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/com...df53ead28.html

What is Todd Parker talking about when he says thousands of other lakes and that Norway is already doing this?

I know for a fact Norway is not plopping islands down in the middle of lakes. They have reclaimed small bits of land (like a few acres) from the sea to push developments out further, which they've done for decades.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 10:07 AM

The Utah Lake island proposal is a disaster in the making that should never see the light of day. It sounded bad when it was first announced and it looks even worse now.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The Utah Lake island proposal is a disaster in the making that should never see the light of day. It sounded bad when it was first announced and it looks even worse now.
LOL. It will never see the light of day. No chance. Like none.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 10:05 PM

I agree it's unlikely, but I'm not going to underestimate the stupidity and greed of developers and politicians.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:37 PM

Just an FYI, core samples are being taken today for the office building and parking structure for the recently announced project in Sandy.

It is movement but I am still doubtful of it happening but wanted to share.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Just an FYI, core samples are being taken today for the office building and parking structure for the recently announced project in Sandy.

It is movement but I am still doubtful of it happening but wanted to share.
What recently announced project are you referring to?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:30 PM
Engineer

I honestly think the developed island thing is more likely to happen than we think. People in the legislature and developers/real estate people who deal in Utah County are serious about a bridge at least, not to mention a lot of residents in Utah County actually want it. I don't get it but it's been talked about a ton and it's a forgone conclusion for many at this point. The question now seems to be not if the bridge will be built but how many bridges. I believe this proposal includes 4 roads across the lake.

Reclamation/dredging has been talked about for years and has a ton of support. But there is no way to pay for it.

The current Utah Lake Restoration proposal may not happen as is but there's an experienced team behind it with an ability to gather investment--and that's a concern for anyone who doesn't want this to happen. If failure to get initial investment doesn't stop this thing then only fierce public opposition will. That could happen but I'm not entirely sure it will.

They'll make a few adjustments to the proposal as a result of the environmental studies and to try to appease any who might oppose it, but I think they proposed grand developments with the intent of scaling them back at the right time to make it look like a concession.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What recently announced project are you referring to?
I can't think of the name. It is the project directly North of South Town Mall that includes housing in the wetlands.

15 or 18 story building with the sky bridge over the road to another shorter building and the restaurant in the bridge.

I think it was announced in June maybe.

Edit: Found a link https://www.ksl.com/article/46530886...story-building

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:15 PM

Hey guys, why are we talking about the Utah Lake proposal in the Salt Lake MSA thread? This should be in the Provo MSA thread.

Makid,
The link doesn't work. Is it the Prestige?

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/san...ontinues-boom/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 8:40 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
I honestly think the developed island thing is more likely to happen than we think. People in the legislature and developers/real estate people who deal in Utah County are serious about a bridge at least, I believe this proposal includes 4 roads across the lake.
I don't think this is likely to happen, but if it DOES let's hope the bridges are A: actually brides and not a dirt filled causeway like B: have some architechural design elemts and not a strip or concrete on pylons.

To see what Utah and SLC did to the creeks like Red Butte, City Creek, and emigration with the dirt fill and culverts. Such shit. all those culverts if they had been bridges could have been iconic pieces of architecture even if small.
I'mm thinking of the area around Miller Park (1500 E 1200 S) in SLC So cool if it had been built as a Art Deco type bridges instead of the shitty culverts.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Hey guys, why are we talking about the Utah Lake proposal in the Salt Lake MSA thread? This should be in the Provo MSA thread.

Makid,
The link doesn't work. Is it the Prestige?
It is South of the Prestige.

It is sad that the link doesn't work. I got it straight from KSL. Trying it again: Link

Here is the text from the article just in case:

Quote:
Sandy City approves $500M development plan with 18-story building
By Carter Williams, KSL.com | Posted - Apr 12th, 2019

SANDY — Utah’s tallest building outside of Salt Lake City could be coming to Sandy soon.

The Sandy City Council unanimously passed a plan on Tuesday for a $500 million multi-use project for its Cairns District, which includes an 18-story corporate tower split between offices for businesses and a hotel. A sky bridge/restaurant space, as well as six other spaces for restaurants or retail, an apartment complex, a four-story enclosed parking, and pedestrian walkways are also a part of the plans for the area.

The project approved is considered the epicenter of Sandy’s Cairns District, said Nick Duerksen, the city’s economic development director. The project, which is located at 10300 S. Centennial Parkway, was awarded to a team from Raddon Development and Beecher Walker Architects in 2018.

It’s located a few blocks north of the Southtown shopping area in the city. Ron Raddon, chairman of Raddon Development, said he hoped to start work on the apartment complex as soon as possible and that the project is currently expected to take five to six years from start to finish.

The project is slated to add 400,000 square feet of office space and another 50,000 square feet of restaurant/retail space to the city. The planned hotel will have at least 225 rooms and more than 200 apartment units will be added to the city.

If all goes as planned, Sandy officials say the 18-story tower is believed to be the tallest building in Utah outside Salt Lake City.

The design for the project draws inspiration from hip urban areas in the county. Jory Walker, president and principal architect at Beecher Walker Architecture, told the council the problem the southern part of the county — often referred to as the Point of the Mountain — is that jobs are coming there but many people are choosing to live in Salt Lake City and commute down to places like Sandy.

That’s where the apartments, retail and restaurants, as well as an open courtyard for people to walk around between the apartments and restaurants come into play.

“We need cool, urban places for people to live,” Walker said. “That’s one of the things I really think is really cool about this. We can create more of an urban, modern concept that people want to be. If you look at 9th and 9th (900 East and 900 South in Salt Lake City) and you think about what they’re doing in Sugar House, there’s this energy that I think we need to have here.”

Ruth’s Chris Steak House, as well as other bar/restaurants, have expressed interest in the project, he added.

Walker and Raddon mentioned Sheraton as the primary chain interested in the hotel, but that has yet to be finalized. They also said the high-rise office spaces have garnered interest from tech companies looking to move into the area.

When questioned by the council, Walker said there would be “enough parking for the project.” The exact parking stalls for the various buildings are to be determined later, he said.

Walker, who conducted the presentation Tuesday, told the council there have been about 10 designs over the past 2 1/2 years as architectures have tried to find a solution for the site. The plan was to come up with a concept where “mountain meets urban.”

“To be forced to relook at things, study and re-evaluate it the last 2 1/2 years, I’ve learned so much about this site,” he said. “I really feel like we’ve come up with the right answer. To me, that’s what architecture is all about.”

Construction for the Cairns District began in late 2014 with the planned 25-story Prestige high-rise building. The design was later adjusted to 12 stories (153 feet), according to Emporis. The entire district is 1,000 acres city with office, retail, entertainment and residential that the city hopes blends in the city’s outdoor elements with “urban vibrancy.”

“Our vision for the Cairns District has always been to create an exciting, energetic urban hub where our residents and others can come dine, go to the theater, shop, work and live in one place and I believe this new development is the critical piece we needed to make this vision a reality,” Sandy Mayor Kurt Bradburn said in a statement.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:10 PM

New Mixed Use Development - South Salt Lake

Hi All. I've been checking on development in the Salt Lake area via this forum for a LONG time now and thought it was finally time for a first post.

I may have missed a previous post on the development below, but I think it may have flown under the radar, so I'll post a link below(or rather text to copy and paste -- the 'insert link' button on here does some strange things):

https://sslc.com/uploads/PC_Staff_Re...ision_Fina.pdf

This is located at the SW corner of Utopia Ave. and Main Street and includes a ten story mixed-use residential building and a six story mixed use office building with plans for another. The developer is Dakota Pacific and I think it can add some considerable momentum to the development game in the downtown SSL area.

I hope this post works - thanks for reading!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:29 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I saw the proposal for that the other day and I agree it will help a lot in that area.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 10:19 AM

Developer plans to make Utah site the first new full-service ski resort in country since 1980

Project underway for Mayflower Resort west of Jordanelle, close to Deer Valley

Amy Donaldson - Deseret News - https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ince-1980.html

PARK CITY — For nearly 40 years, no developer has managed to build and open a new, full-service ski resort, but it's not because there wasn't demand for one or a desire to do so.

"I know that the mountains are littered with developers who thought they were going to do something and nothing happened," said Gary Barnett, founder and
chairman of Extell Development Company, who unveiled plans Monday for a ski resort and village that includes hotels, condominiums and residential housing.

"I mean, nothing has really been done in the country in the last 30 years, since Beaver Creek, really. … It's so hard to do."...

Looking east toward Jordanelle Reservoir, Extell Development team members show the area where they plan to build the new Mayflower Mountain Resort near Deer Valley on Monday, Aug. 12, 2019. Photo By Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News

So what makes a guy who doesn't even ski think he can do what no one else has managed since 1980? A unique set of circumstances and colleagues with a vision.

"I think once again, one of the important things for us was the ability to tap into tax increment financing," he said, referring to the fact that Wasatch County had designated the Mayflower Resort area as a place where Utah's Military Industrial Development Agency could build a recreation hotel, which returns some of the property tax generated from development to developers in exchange for reduced fees for military personnel.

"The fact that MIDA is there, supporting it and helping speed up the process, was a very necessary component for me to get involved. I would not have gotten involved otherwise," Barnett said. "The fact that we're on the same mountain as Deer Valley, that's a good starting point," he said. "And the fact that we've done a long term lease with them also helps. But certainly those things convinced me to go ahead and take this gamble...

...The project — Mayflower Mountain Resort — is ambitious in its scope, with plans for 5,600 acres that are just west of U.S. 40 and Jordanelle Reservoir (near Exit 8) and adjacent to Deer Valley that includes 1,520 residential units, 825 hotel rooms and commercial units and 600 skier parking spaces.

It will be the first recreation project created to work with the military for the state, said Kurt Krieg, vice president of development. The Military Industrial Development Agency is a state-run economic development entity with a military focus, which in this case, offers ski resort vacation opportunities to military personnel at a fraction of the cost...

Among the advantages the new resort will have is its proximity to one of the nation's top rated resorts — Deer Valley.

"We have the ability to connect to Deer Valley," Barnett said, noting that Extell just renegotiated a lease of land to Deer Valley that makes the future more predictable for both entities.

"Obviously, they'd have to purchase a Deer Valley ticket, but there is that ability to provide skiing. We feel like the access from our side of the mountain is exceptional."

The location of Mayflower may offer it some unique advantages that other start-ups don't enjoy, including 35 minutes and no stop lights from the Salt Lake City International Airport to the freeway exit.

"There is no other resort of this scale, maybe around the world, that I know of that is 35 minutes from a major, international airport," he said. "It's going to have access to everywhere. … That's the No. 1 thing Utah has going for it is this access. And we have straight highway, no traffic lights. … So we've got everything in our favor to get this thing done."

The goal is to have the village and some ski runs open within five years...It also hopes to be supportive, if not involved in, Utah's bid for another Winter Olympics in 2030 or 2034. "We love the idea, and we'd love to be involved in it," he said. "Anything we do would have to be coordinated with Deer Valley and the state of Utah, but we certainly love the idea of playing a very active role. We hope we get it in 2030."

Work on one of three water tanks is underway for the new Mayflower Mountain Resort near Deer Valley on Monday, Aug. 12, 2019. Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News

Some of what Barnett and his team envision is similar to what's out there. Some of it is unique. But before they can begin to build anything, they are conducting a voluntary cleanup of the mountain, because the last mining companies left in 1969 without the resources to clean up any contamination. The land has been vacant, even as development occurred around it, in part because of the contamination and in part because it was owned by a foreign trust with a trustee who sought a higher price than anyone was willing to pay.

As the trustees re-negotiated representation, the land became available and then it was a matter of cleaning up the contamination in order to develop it in the ways Extell envisions.

On Monday, several members of the Extell team and the Military Industrial Development Agency representatives took media on a tour of the picturesque site, pointing out where ski lifts might be, where water tanks will be installed and how cleanup will work.

In some places, as much as 18 inches of soil is being removed and it will be taken to a central location and capped, as is standard in these types of cases, according to Krieg, who led the tour.

While no other full service resort has opened in the U.S. since 1980, about a half dozen terrain parks or ski resorts without on-site lodging have opened, including Cherry Peak, which is 20 minutes outside Logan, and two hours north of Salt Lake City. But nothing like most of Utah's resorts — and nothing like what Extell has planned for Mayflower Resort.

"We have the makings of a really beautiful resort town," he said. "And that's what we're looking at doing."

An artist rendering shows the finished development of the new Mayflower Mountain Resort near Jordanelle Reservoir and Deer Valley Resort on Monday, Aug. 12, 2019. Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 13, 2019 at 12:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:50 PM

Black Rock Mountain Resort Development

Perfectly situated adjacent to the Jordanelle Reservoir and minutes from the Deer Valley and Park City ski resorts, Black Rock Mountain Resort (BRMR) is primed to become a true world class four-season destination.
Guests will have easy access to skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and other winter activities in addition to fishing, boating, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, golfing, and countless other outdoor activities.
As the newest addition to the Park City/Jordanelle experience, BRMR will also boast a brand new, state-of-the-art Ice Event Center containing two indoor and one outdoor ice rinks with stadium seating for up to 500
spectators. Additional amenities will include a front check-in lobby & lounge area, full-service restaurant & bar with room service, coffee bar & market, valet & underground parking, courtyard patio & fire pits and
much more. 2019-08-09

http://cdn.photos.sparkplatform.com/...15000000-o.jpg

Last edited by delts145; Aug 13, 2019 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:08 PM

Continued...Black Rock Mountain Resort Development

Condo development on S.R. 248 featuring hockey event center may open by end of 2019

Alexander Cramer - The Park Record https://www.parkrecord.com/news/cond...y-end-of-2019/

Driving from Park City on S.R. 248 as the road turns southward and Brown’s Canyon opens to the east, there is a giant white-wrapped structure rising on a hill with twin cranes standing sentinel over the roadway.

It’s a 250-unit condo/hotel/ice arena concept called the Black Rock Mountain Resort that aims to capitalize on what its developers see as the growing four-season attraction of this one-time winter-only destination.

It’s also an example of the regional effects of the Park City area’s growth, with the complex intended to serve as an amenity hub for two other developments at the western end of Brown’s Canyon: Black Rock Ridge and the Deer Vista gated community.

Altogether, the three developments are entitled to more than 700 units at the mouth of Brown’s Canyon, with the potential to reshape an area that’s growing faster than almost anywhere in the region and add traffic to a corridor that already suffers from significant rush hour congestion.

All three are in Wasatch County and Black Rock Mountain Resort and Black Rock Ridge are being developed by Mark 25 Homes, whose president Justin Griffin said construction of the Black Rock Mountain Resort is progressing smoothly. He’s optimistic the first phase — a 69-unit building visible from S.R. 248 — will be finished and open by the end of this year.

The first phase of the Black Rock Mountain Resort may open by the end of this year, its developers say. It features 69 condos and 30,000-square-feet of commercial space,
and its envisioned as a future ice hockey events center with as many as three rinks. Photo By Christopher Samuels/Park Record

Last edited by delts145; Dec 22, 2021 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:58 PM

I think the Mayflower Resort is Extell's (Gary Barnett) first development in Utah.

I personally hope it is very successful and it encourages Extell to build something in downtown SLC. I know they develop both Residential and Commercial buildings and both are sorely needed.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFlaneur View Post
Hi All. I've been checking on development in the Salt Lake area via this forum for a LONG time now and thought it was finally time for a first post.

I may have missed a previous post on the development below, but I think it may have flown under the radar, so I'll post a link below(or rather text to copy and paste -- the 'insert link' button on here does some strange things):

https://sslc.com/uploads/PC_Staff_Re...ision_Fina.pdf

This is located at the SW corner of Utopia Ave. and Main Street and includes a ten story mixed-use residential building and a six story mixed use office building with plans for another. The developer is Dakota Pacific and I think it can add some considerable momentum to the development game in the downtown SSL area.

I hope this post works - thanks for reading!

That's massive, but looks to be designed well and in a great location next to the end of the streetcar line and by the interstate and State Street. Bring on the density!

Can someone please post the renderings on here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West