HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Not a chance. It is downtown in an area where there is no longer convenient parking, so unless I were to take a cab it is essentially inaccessible.
There is a parking garage in the building! You may have to pay a fee to park there, as one should in the centre of a city. There are also elevators for those who can't or don't want to walk up the stairs.

Last edited by coolmillion; Nov 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:52 PM

I understood that garage was not open to the public.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 9:00 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Spring Garden and Barrington have the highest concentration of bus routes in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Spring Garden and Barrington have the highest concentration of bus routes in the Maritimes.
But that would mean riding in a bus.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Not a chance. It is downtown in an area where there is no longer convenient parking, so unless I were to take a cab it is essentially inaccessible. I'm sure those in the south end will enjoy it though. As for books, I cannot remember the last time I bought a paper book. Probably when I was on a long-distance flight. As for movies, there are few that interest me and in any event I do not want someone else's sticky fingerprints and the germs that go with it to come into my home. Again, most of that type of media I can and do get in other ways.

I suspect that in 10 years or so we will be looking at ways to repurpose underutilized parts of this structure in the face of minimal demand for what it offers.
Points well made. Hopefully you are wrong with your 10 year projection.

I for one never intend to buy an "e-book" unless it is my only choice some day. To each his own.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 11:48 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
I understood that garage was not open to the public.
Wrong. Open to public.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 11:51 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
The library itself has stated that the 55 new positions have been filled. Even if part-time, those would cost a couple of million. The budget numbers you post do not show those. Somebody is twisting the numbers to tell a tale all right, but it isn't me. It simply does not add up.
You are wrong. I am Vice Chair of Halifax Public Libraries, and I am Vice Chair of the HPL Finance and Audit Committee. I am telling you what my kids like to call "true facts." The business plan I linked to is the passed budget. Please feel free to drop by either Alderney Gate next Board meeting or come to the Committee of the Whole where the budget is discussed in January. These are the figures. The system is not going to see a million dollar increase in operations. The library operations are budgeted for.

Again, I know the facts don't your reactionary narrative, but you are dead wrong. The system has less than 300 FTEs across 14 sites. There are not 55 new full time positions being created.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
You are wrong. I am Vice Chair of Halifax Public Libraries, and I am Vice Chair of the HPL Finance and Audit Committee.
Yes, truly frightening.

Quote:
Again, I know the facts don't your reactionary narrative, but you are dead wrong. The system has less than 300 FTEs across 14 sites. There are not 55 new full time positions being created.

So the statement contained in the September minutes is wrong? According to Bruce Gorman, "Staff are also in the process of filling the 55 full and part-time positions for the Halifax central Library".

Then there's his quote in the CBC article of this past week: "To accommodate them, 51 new staff have been hired to work the floors."

When I see the phrase "51 new staff" there is little room for interpretation. Imagine the reader's confusion. Either there are hires you don't know about, or Mr. Gorman is misleading the public and there won't be hordes of staff on the floors awaiting the throngs. And if there aren't any new staff, what were the library management people doing in September going through the process of hiring all these ghostly bodies?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
You are wrong. I am Vice Chair of Halifax Public Libraries, and I am Vice Chair of the HPL Finance and Audit Committee. I am telling you what my kids like to call "true facts." The business plan I linked to is the passed budget. Please feel free to drop by either Alderney Gate next Board meeting or come to the Committee of the Whole where the budget is discussed in January. These are the figures. The system is not going to see a million dollar increase in operations. The library operations are budgeted for.

Hi Waye, the good news is the board telling Phil Otto that the new logo will not be displayed on any of the library branches. No mention of this action in any media.
And when did the board decide to make the minutes available through the board website ? Too bad the present format does not allow cut and paste for people who wish to directly quote a document.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 1:15 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
So the statement contained in the September minutes is wrong? According to Bruce Gorman, "Staff are also in the process of filling the 55 full and part-time positions for the Halifax central Library".

Then there's his quote in the CBC article of this past week: "To accommodate them, 51 new staff have been hired to work the floors."

When I see the phrase "51 new staff" there is little room for interpretation. Imagine the reader's confusion. Either there are hires you don't know about, or Mr. Gorman is misleading the public and there won't be hordes of staff on the floors awaiting the throngs. And if there aren't any new staff, what were the library management people doing in September going through the process of hiring all these ghostly bodies?
51 part time people.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 1:17 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Hi Waye, the good news is the board telling Phil Otto that the new logo will not be displayed on any of the library branches. No mention of this action in any media.
And when did the board decide to make the minutes available through the board website ? Too bad the present format does not allow cut and paste for people who wish to directly quote a document.
Well the library is really more of a crown corporation, a regional library funded in part by the province under the library act, so it would not be appropriate to use the municipal brand.

The minutes have been there pretty much the whole time I've been on the board, I beleive. The annual meeting is now a more public affair held after the external audit in June every year, when we publish the annual report, which started 2 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Well the library is really more of a crown corporation, a regional library funded in part by the province under the library act, so it would not be appropriate to use the municipal brand.

The minutes have been there pretty much the whole time I've been on the board, I beleive. The annual meeting is now a more public affair held after the external audit in June every year, when we publish the annual report, which started 2 years ago.
I am happy to see the board assert its independence. I am surprised that the board had to ask HRM legal as to its status - I thought it was common knowledge that the Libraries Act had been in place for a long time.
I expect the Board of Police Commissioners to also assert its independence, although it is not a body corporate as the library is.

The HRM organisation chart for many years has shown the Chief of Police reporting to the CAO, and the CAO page lays claim to him supervising the Police Department "...Operational Oversight - Direct oversight to Finance, Human Resources, Legal Services and Halifax Police Services " : http://www.halifax.ca/budget/documen...rating-CAO.pdf page E5

This erroneous information has appeared in online bios of at least 3 CAOs and in budget documents for a decade.
Time for change.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 6:56 AM

I get it now. After watching the discussion for a few days now I've got it figured out.

'51 part time' - and part time people work for free just like the governor of the bank of Canada wants all young people to work for free.
How quickly that has caught on with our councillor.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I get it now. After watching the discussion for a few days now I've got it figured out.

'51 part time' - and part time people work for free just like the governor of the bank of Canada wants all young people to work for free.
How quickly that has caught on with our councillor.
Apparently so.

Almost as good as calling HPL a "Crown corporation". Really.

Last edited by Keith P.; Nov 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 9:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are a bunch of new library photos up that include some interior shots: http://halifaxcentrallibrary.ca/gall...photo-gallery/

The interior seems pretty sharp looking to me. Stair-related deaths aside, it seems like it's turned out pretty well and it looks like it's going to be a valuable new indoor public space for the city.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 10:26 PM

I like the furniture but I can't help thinking of this...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 2:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree with someone, a valuable indoor space for south-central Halifax.

As far as the furniture is concerned however, I find it very ultra avant garde, almost a 1960's Jetson's inspired vision of the future. It might fit the overall theme of the building, but it's not exactly my cup of tea. I fear that the furniture could become very dated very quickly........

Regardless, I will be sure to pay the new library a visit on my next trip down to Halifax.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
As far as the furniture is concerned however, I find it very ultra avant garde, almost a 1960's Jetson's inspired vision of the future. It might fit the overall theme of the building, but it's not exactly my cup of tea. I fear that the furniture could become very dated very quickly........
I shudder to think what the cost of that furniture was. Looks very high-end designer-y, like the rest of the place. Probably made in Sweden...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 2:39 PM
Salty Town

Library looks fantastic. Great public space and a much needed expansion space.

Does anyone know if this is artwork on the columns or air pockets and patched pit holes?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Not sure if your silly comment is directed at me but I have never complained about the library either from a design or budget perspective. I think it's great for the city and in particular this part of the city.

This city needs a swift kick in the butt and this project delivers. We have little or no public buildings that combine an outdoor space with a fantastic interactive indoor venue. My only disappointment so far is the exposed concrete and no matter how you like to spin it you can't put lipstick on a pig.

Take some time and go through the New York Public Library. It will take a couple of hours if you start with a coffee or smoothie and sit in the connected Bryant Park and soak in the history that surrounds this great 42nd St. / 5th Ave. venue. At Christmas, they install a skating rink, a portable restaurant and multiple well designed holiday shops that house Christmas vendors. These are removed after the season is over.

The library is Beaux Arts design constructed of marble and shows that you don't build a grand building and leave 5% or 10% not representing the overall intent of the structure. The main reading room is nothing short of awe inspiring and the grand map room is complete with teak ceiling and of course, lots of marble.

Our budget didn't allow for this grandeur but exposed concrete outside will weather and look like Duke tower and inside will look unfinished and out of sync with the rest of the design. If there a lot of air pockets in the columns maybe they can fill them with grout or say it is part of the design.

If you could do me the favor of sparing me the condescending tone in regards to my "silly" comment, I might take you up on that. My original comment was to try and stop the thread spiraling into KP's personal "Hate" rant on the project.
I was only pointing out the fact it's pretty standard, for institutional buildings that are trying to achieve a high LEED certification, to use exposed concrete in an abundance of areas. This project, I believe has it only on the interior except for the planters and back area. The graphics for the interior look like a computer generated version of "concrete". If the right contractor was in to do the pillar they would have vibrated most of the air bubbles out column knowing it was to be exposed.
During the exchange of lands Dalhousie now owns the rest of the Infirmary lands in which the "Bold Ambitions" plan shows the area, is to be turned into a "quad" for the Sexton Campus.

When I first seen the back area the thought that came to my mind was a stage for an expanded "Buskers Festival" that stretched up to Robbie Burns park and Public Gardens. But thats just a delusional pipe dream

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth