HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 2:25 PM
welcome to the madness

To me I would rather have density than height at this point. There are still too many bare spots downtown right now. I have a conference every year at the Adams Mark and the one thing that always strikes me is how isolated it feels from the rest of downtown despite it only being about a 5-10 minute walk to the Pearl Street Brewpub and not too much further to the waterfront. Are there any ideas out there for making walking under the 190 a better vibe for pedestrians? Anyway my point is that by developing this parking lot--even if it's only 4 stories, provides a connection bridge between areas of Buffalo's downtown for pedestrians.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 4:45 PM
Go Pens!

I don't necessarily think everything has to be close to Main St. I also would like to see some density (at different heights, would be nice too - not 20 5-6 story buildings). I wish they'knock down that stupid Adam's Mark monstrosity and use that whole area for something new & interesting.

I definitely want to see some height, but we have to have people and businesses interested enough to start a "buzz". We're not Dubai by any means, so i think we'll have to earn our height and take it when we can.

I guess it's kind of pre-infilling: taking care of some perimeter lots and unused
spaces suitable for businesses w/ smaller capacities & needs...then hopefully we can get some larger buildings when they are called for.

I hate waiting, myself, but i think that's what Buffalo may have to do more or less. We're lucky there are businesses showing interest at this point. I think Buffalo deserves a chance to re-build itself via renovating, new construction, landscaping/terraforming, and making use of that huge friggin body of water in front of it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 12:18 AM

Work started on "The Warehouse Lofts @ 210 Ellicott Street." The $7.5 million project will transform the former Seneca Paper warehouse, located between Eagle and Clinton streets, into 30 upscale loft apartments.

Plans call six units per floor on floors three through seven encompassing 20 two-bedroom and 10 one- bedroom units. Apartment sizes range from 1,080 to 1,525 sq.ft. and will be priced from $1,160/month plus gas and electric. Every unit will have a walk-in laundry room, substantial closet space, a large soaking tub, fully equipped stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors, exposed structural concrete loft ceilings, fireplaces, solid-surface counter tops and maple cabinets. Two bedroom units will have two full bathrooms. There will be a total of 60 gated parking spaces, 15 of which will be covered. 8,000 sq.ft. of office space will be available on the second floor.

:cheers1:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 2:09 AM

^Awesome! I hope this is even more motivation for the owners of the Lafayette Hotel.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 3:18 PM

Roger Trettel and an unknown other developer are under contract to buy the Genesee Block. Roger renovated the Buehl Bldg. at Broadway and Ellicott across from the library. He's taking the Charlie Baker Bldg- it is the one with the two-story 'atrium' at the top.

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/ar...ee_block_d.php

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 5:09 PM
welcome to the madness

Good Stuff--There's a lot of activity on Genesee or near Genesee--I would definitely like to see this street take off. It's a gateway and should look good for people coming from the airport to downtown on the 33.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 6:00 PM

Started another Buffalo Photo thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=120158

These pics will be used for a new website, announcement coming soon

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 6:51 PM

Are there any renderings of what the loft project will look like after it is done?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 11:56 PM

Great news!

Art center foes fail to bar museum project
By MATT GRYTA
News Staff Reporter
11/15/2006

Opponents of the new Burchfield-Penney Art Center failed Monday in their attempt to halt work on the new museum, on the grounds of the historic H.H. Richardson Complex.
State Supreme Court Justice Patrick H. NeMoyer refused a request by Campaign for Buffalo History, Architecture & Culture for a temporary restraining order that would have halted work on Buffalo State College's $32 million museum. Construction began in September.

Following a two-hour hearing, NeMoyer ruled against the organization's efforts to halt construction under provisions of state environmental law.

State attorneys argued that the college had taken the required "hard look" under state environmental law before declaring the project not harmful.

The museum is being built at Elmwood Avenue and Rockwell Road, across from Albright-Knox Art Gallery. It is targeted to open in 2008.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:53 AM

R.I.P

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 4:12 AM

b u m m e r
I really wanted to see this one happen.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:05 AM

wait it's officially done?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:38 PM

So all those people that fought it are happier with a block of run down houses - rather than this nice new cornerstone of development?

I will never understand some people.....

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064
So all those people that fought it are happier with a block of run down houses - rather than this nice new cornerstone of development?

I will never understand some people.....
"All those people" are like what?... 2 dozen NIMBY's at the most, who beat this project into submission with legal challenges they took up just to stall and frustrate the developer even if their chance of getting the courts to stop the project was small. Uniland might as well cancel their Park Lane condo tower right now as well, since the non-supporters of that project have already got petitions and threatened lawsuits before any renderings for that building have even been released. The stupid people win again.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 4:06 PM
Go Pens!

^ They could have done better anyways - i really don't give half a shit about that project anyways.

next...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 4:40 PM

Supposedly, Wyndham pulled out. Savarino has another story. There are a bunch of hotel operators out there, why that would kill the project, I don't know. But as of now, no deal. Maybe it is a negotiating tactic. A plan was also drawn up for a residential project there by Savarino- who knows if it is real.

Bank- someone anonymously sent your fantasy Dulski rendering into BRising saying they snuck the plan out of Uniland's office. Luckily they asked if it was the real deal or not and we prevented some embarrassment!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
Bank- someone anonymously sent your fantasy Dulski rendering into BRising saying they snuck the plan out of Uniland's office. Luckily they asked if it was the real deal or not and we prevented some embarrassment!

lol. What we really need to do is sneak that rendering INTO Uniland so THEY can do it

Last edited by mrussell83; Nov 17, 2006 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:00 PM

Where can we see this rendering??

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064
Where can we see this rendering??

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:27 PM

Well i guess the only option is that mobile has to go. But i'll guess that some people will be upset over the negative impact of getting rid of horrible disturbances in the streetscape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations