HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:08 AM

My boyfriend sent me these photos from his walk today 03/22/2021:

Pylons at Mission Rock

Uber

First time I'm hearing about "Thrive City"

Curves of Chase Center

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahjoey View Post
My boyfriend sent me these photos from his walk today 03/22/2021:

First time I'm hearing about "Thrive City"
“Thrive” is a mantra from Kaiser Permanente, constantly repeated in their adds. They probably sponsored the sign.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:57 PM

Yeah, Thrive City is the Kaiser-sponsored plaza at Chase Center.

https://www.chasecenter.com/thrivecity
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-13898544.php

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:33 PM

Kaiser Permanente has been a long time sponsor/partner of the Warriors.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahjoey View Post

Uber

Can we talk about how good this building looks? I'm no fan of Uber as a corporation, nor of boxy glass-clad offices, but this pair looks so elegant and refined with the bronze-ish grid and the transparent glass. The crossing bridges are a nice touch too. Mies would be proud.

Not sure how I feel about the sculpture out front though... seems a bit... evocative.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:54 AM
heavy user of walkability

block 9

^ agree that the Uber complex turned out nicely - looks good, has inviting landscaping, and meets the street pretty well too.

changing subject, SFYimby has a nice update on block 9 over on the east end of the block that contains the public safety building, across the street from the south end of Mission Rock

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:36 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpermitted_variance View Post
Can we talk about how good this building looks? I'm no fan of Uber as a corporation, nor of boxy glass-clad offices, but this pair looks so elegant and refined with the bronze-ish grid and the transparent glass. The crossing bridges are a nice touch too. Mies would be proud.

Not sure how I feel about the sculpture out front though... seems a bit... evocative.
If memory serves me right I believe there will be a 'wall' of green vines and other plants in between the outer glass wall and the inner wall.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
If memory serves me right I believe there will be a 'wall' of green vines and other plants in between the outer glass wall and the inner wall.
while it was under construction, there were some hanging plants in some of the windows. at least some of those looked like they died after a while, not sure why or if this has any impact on the plan to have them there going forward.

I have been away from SF for a while, but am back, so might be able to wander over there one of these days soon to look again.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:01 PM

sort of hard to tell, even in person, but the few hanging plants look dead to me from the street. I don't think you can make them out in this pic

elsewhere, here is the work along the Creek, which I had thought would be further along by now

block 9W

new artwork(?) going in at Uber

at Crane Cove Park, they have been working on the extension of 19th St

block 6W affordable housing almost done

detail

north side

it also completes the view south from across the Creek

UCSF Psychiatry Center, Third St side

18th St side

Tennessee St side

fencing mostly down around the Weill Neurosciences building, so Gene Friend Way is finally settling into its completed state, looking east toward Third St

since the Neurosciences building pretty much completes the streetscape for now, here is a shot down Fourth, a street that - in this form in MB - didn't exist at all until 2002 or 2003, I think, and wasn't completely opened until 2009 or so.

here are the shots from the Rutter Center roof, west to east, with 5M making the most prominent new appearance on the skyline, and block 6W and the hotel the most notable recent appearances in MB itself

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:35 AM

Thanks Timbad, fantastic as always! Any idea if all those parking lots towards the end of the pictures are spoken for? I know 1450 Owens (which I believe is a bit to the left) was approved.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman12 View Post
Thanks Timbad, fantastic as always! Any idea if all those parking lots towards the end of the pictures are spoken for? I know 1450 Owens (which I believe is a bit to the left) was approved.
besides the Owens site, the lot just on this side of the traffic circle on the west side is to be a K-8 public school, with construction start repeatedly delayed over the years and currently slated for something like next year - back a few pages I think there was discussion.

and the lot immediately to the right of the traffic circle is to be affordable housing, the financing for which is still being put together I think.

besides that, that's all UCSF. they have chosen not to build on these parcels and instead have been buying up, and developing, sites outside the area given to them as their original campus (both elsewhere in MB and in Dogpatch) in recent years. must suit them better, but it has left this crater here for the time being.

edit: at least part of one of the parcels next to the Owens site is slated for greenspace as well, perhaps a playing field of some kind. not sure what the status of that is - almost all the park parcels in MB were/are extremely delayed in coming to be.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:01 PM

Those northern parcels on UCSF's campus will eventually be research buildings (aside from the K-8 school site mentioned by timbad). The stuff UCSF has been doing elsewhere in MB and Dogpatch is largely clinical focused, as they want that in closer proximity to the hospital. (The Tidelands student housing on Minnesota is another exception, but they didn't want to dedicate more core campus space to housing and it serves as a better transition to Dogpatch anyway.)

No idea when those parking lots might get replaced by buildings though, as after 20 years of focus on Mission Bay, UCSF is turning back to Parnassus and getting ready to invest mucho dollars there with the new hospital and other updates. Can't complain though, modernization at Parnassus is desperately needed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development