HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 12:02 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 299
50's-60's South End Apartments

Does anybody know the history of these long, 3-storey apartment buildings scattered through the South End?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 12:29 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,823
No idea of the history, but I suspect they were the 1950s version of today's Highfield Park Special, with an off-the-shelf design plan and materials spec. There were a great many of them around, including the ones on the corner of Bayers Rd and Joe Howe that recently came down. I never lived in one, but visited a friend who did. She had the rearmost unit on her floor which ran across the back of the building and as such was fairly spacious with 2 (?) bedrooms. But IIRC the kitchen was still tiny and it only had a single small bathroom. I think most of the other units were fairly "cosy" in terms of size. I suspect that just like the HPS of today, there were contractors familiar with their construction and so they could be built fairly quickly and reasonably cheaply (though I would suspect that they were fairly substantial structurally given the times).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 1:41 PM
Summerville Summerville is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
No idea of the history, but I suspect they were the 1950s version of today's Highfield Park Special, with an off-the-shelf design plan and materials spec. There were a great many of them around, including the ones on the corner of Bayers Rd and Joe Howe that recently came down. I never lived in one, but visited a friend who did. She had the rearmost unit on her floor which ran across the back of the building and as such was fairly spacious with 2 (?) bedrooms. But IIRC the kitchen was still tiny and it only had a single small bathroom. I think most of the other units were fairly "cosy" in terms of size. I suspect that just like the HPS of today, there were contractors familiar with their construction and so they could be built fairly quickly and reasonably cheaply (though I would suspect that they were fairly substantial structurally given the times).

I believe that they were built by Kaiser Construction, which had a building streak around that time. My dad always remarked how a building built by Kaiser meant that they were built well
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 2:40 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
I believe that they were built by Kaiser Construction, which had a building streak around that time. My dad always remarked how a building built by Kaiser meant that they were built well
They do seem to be fairly solid, and despite the half-century that's gone by a lot retain original details like the gold-lettered names above their front doors and some nifty peepholes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 9:34 PM
ILoveHalifax ILoveHalifax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,025
I lived in thee building just north of the one on Lucknow and it was definitely well built, interesting layout, long skinny apartment with hallway from one end to the other. entry into a living room that I used as a dining room with a china cabinet and a love seat as well, down the hall bath on right and further a small bedroom on the right - big enough to take my queen size and dresser and then what would have been the master I used as an office/living room with desk cabinets and sofa. i painted it in greys and it was quite charming . The kitchen had space for a small table and one wall with metal cupboards - there was a design show on TV one day had the same metal cabinets and the designer made a big fuss about them, then went on thru the reno and came back again to ridicule the cabinets - nice pantry off the kitchen as well. They were owned by a company by the name of Smith, same company that years earlier were into fish and had a warehouse on the waterfront - I had seen a picture of it - nice people who ran things well but were not enlarging their business - I felt I was paying fair rent, not financing the growth of the company as they expanded their portfolio.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 5:46 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 505
There was another one, demolished for the Workliv project on Seymour St.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 12:07 PM
Good Baklava's Avatar
Good Baklava Good Baklava is offline
Somewhat Pretentious
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 414
Had a family member who lived in 5661 Victoria Rd. "Balmoral" 20 years ago. I remember it being reasonably sized for a single person in the South End, although it did show signs of age. When looking up the building I saw a review stating it had recently been renovated.
__________________
Haligonian in exile.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:30 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Had a family member who lived in 5661 Victoria Rd. "Balmoral" 20 years ago. I remember it being reasonably sized for a single person in the South End, although it did show signs of age. When looking up the building I saw a review stating it had recently been renovated.
Looks like they added a gable roof and some new exterior decoration.



Just around the corner from here at 1055 Lucknow, I have long been fascinated by the Park Plaza. It seems to date from the same era and is of similar design but on a much larger scale. It has always looked well-kept but I never knew anyone who lived there:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:45 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
There was another one, demolished for the Workliv project on Seymour St.
I thought you meant Studely House, but it does look like the one on Seymour is pretty close. It does have a fairly different entrance though, and looks like the first level is somewhat below ground.




It also looks like another riff on the building used to be on the corner of Brenton St. It's like they put the entrance on the side, but still has the gold-leaf name and glass brick windows.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:53 PM
IanMacDonald IanMacDonald is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Just around the corner from here at 1055 Lucknow, I have long been fascinated by the Park Plaza. It seems to date from the same era and is of similar design but on a much larger scale. It has always looked well-kept but I never knew anyone who lived there:
A friend of mine lived there a few years ago. My recollection is that is a reasonably well-maintained place, but definitely a little dated. The unit was a little smaller than I was expecting and it had that parquet flooring that is everywhere in buildings that age.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 1:27 AM
Kittle Kittle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I thought you meant Studely House, but it does look like the one on Seymour is pretty close. It does have a fairly different entrance though, and looks like the first level is somewhat below ground.




It also looks like another riff on the building used to be on the corner of Brenton St. It's like they put the entrance on the side, but still has the gold-leaf name and glass brick windows.

I lived in Park Victoria (shudder) for a while. I'm fairly sure that one was called The Pickwick.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 3:19 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,530
Should be noted the Seymour Street one is now gone. It's part of WerkLiv that is now under construction.
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 12:51 PM
ILoveHalifax ILoveHalifax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Looks like they added a gable roof and some new exterior decoration.



Just around the corner from here at 1055 Lucknow, I have long been fascinated by the Park Plaza. It seems to date from the same era and is of similar design but on a much larger scale. It has always looked well-kept but I never knew anyone who lived there:

When I lived next door on Lucknow, I occasionally chatted with the property manager on my way to the Sobeys - Many of the units in Park Plaza were rented to Chinese students - great tenants
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:36 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.