HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog794 View Post
I raise the idea of the stadium being located at the aquatic centre/old legion lot on... Rainne? It's centrally located, and already below street level.
Here is a Google Map link - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...16512&t=h&z=17 . I think that a minimum of 500 feet by 700 feet would be required. This would be an excellent location but I think that the land where the police station is located would also be required (however, I can't see it being moved). I think that the Centennial Pool is still an important part of the city though (unless things have changed recently).

If a central, urban location were available then that would be ideal in my opinion. Here are a few possibilities (below):

I wonder about various central locations such as near the Via Station - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...,0.016512&z=17

This would also be a great central, urban location (West Mall area). About the best in my opinion - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...,0.033023&z=16 (only part of it would be required).

I also like this DND area - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...,0.008256&z=18

I get excited about central, urban locations near old Halifax. However, it might turn old that the Halifax Mainland Commons is the closest location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...,0.066047&z=15

Last edited by fenwick16; Jan 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Here is a Google Map link - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=h...16512&t=h&z=17 . I think that a minimum of 500 feet by 700 feet would be required. This would be an excellent location but I think that the land where the police station is located would also be required. I think that the Centennial Pool is still an important part of the city though (unless thing have changed recently).

If a central location such as this were available then that would be ideal in my opinion.
I know the triangle piece with the pool isn't in the viewplane on that side, but the police station and a portion of the Citadell Inn is.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 11:11 PM

Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa had a dome that covered most of the playing field during the winter. The dome was divided into three sections, and was used by a variety of groups. I believe the dome was privately run, and was quite successful.
As for the idea of a track, I hope that if the stadium were built around a track, there would be moveable seating to place on the track when the stadium was being used for football or soccer. A track might help lure an international event to the stadium in the future though.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 11:53 PM

If Marginal Road was re-configured, there might be room at Pier 21. It would be an awsome location!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 11:54 PM

So the spot on Wyse Rd. just north of the bridge is definitely not big enough huh?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 12:14 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
So the spot on Wyse Rd. just north of the bridge is definitely not big enough huh?
I pasted images of a modified version of Calgary's McMahon Stadium at various locations including Dartmouth areas around the Dartmouth Shopping Centre. Here is the link (post 231 - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...174940&page=12 ). That was over a year ago, and some of these suggested locations would cause outright hostility to even be mentioned. (PS: Or maybe just a few shaking heads)

Last edited by fenwick16; Jan 13, 2011 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 12:21 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Privateer View Post
If Marginal Road was re-configured, there might be room at Pier 21. It would be an awsome location!
I pasted a modified version of McMahon Stadium about a year ago. (I cut off some of the upper rows since it is about a 35,000 seat stadium). It was post 319 - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...174940&page=16 . I really like this location, especially since parking could be throughout downtown Halifax with a short shuttle loop.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 1:24 AM

I like the one by the bridge
theres a lot of under used land around there
and would be a fantastic setting

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeCFLFan View Post
Hey all,

I created a new thread (poll) aimed at trying to gauge what type of support a CFL team would receive among the posters here at SkyscraperPage.com. I know many of you have already stated your support in this and other threads but I feel this deserves it's own thread. Make a selection at...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=187693

If a new multi purpose stadium for Halifax becomes a reality I'm sure a CFL team will follow.
Moving this to a current page.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Stadium View Post
If you had to choose between two sites.... Shannon Park vs Dartmouth Crossing which would be your choice....? A pennisula site location might be out of the equation.

If the FIFA soccer event was to come Canada's way would you want the stadium built even if Moncton was chosen over Halifax as the sole Atlantic site.?
Would you even want to wait four years or do it now?
Tough call on the site if these were the only options. A stadium at Shannon Park would look great but not so sure how well it would work infrastructure wise (easy access in, parking , etc.) while Dartmouth Crossing is more wide open but I feel a bit more out of the way. Perhaps I'd favor Dartmouth Crossing as it has more potential looking forward.

Yes I'd still want the stadium built in Halifax (HRM) even if Moncton was awarded sole host status.

As far as waiting 4 years, hell no. Let's get this project underway. Regardless of what happens with the 2015 womens world cup Halifax still needs this facility.

As I have stressed before in previous posts however I feel this needs to be done right. Build a stadium with the future in mind. Make it minimum 25,000 permanent seats with proper concessions, washrooms and luxury suites. Also the design should leave the possibility to expand temporarily to 45,000 seats for large events.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Maritime CFL FAN, I agreed 100% what you said about the designed structure, CFL model, 25,000 peramnent seats, with all the amenities, skyboxes, concourses with permanent concession stands and washroooms, with open endzones, expandable to 45,000 plus, but what the public has to do is go to the public meeting and stress the importance of this model versus a cheaper bowl fixed type modular stadium which the city of Halifax are now looking at to build.
We, the Halifax sports fans and CFL fans have to convince the city of Halifax not to go this root because Halifax will never be able to host a Grey Cup game if this bowl type modular stadium is build.

We have to convince the city of Halifax, that Ottawa and Hamilton are building two new 25,000 permanent seat stadiums and not a bowl type stadium, but a stadium with the best seats from goal line to goal line, with open endzones to expand to 45,000 plus for a Grey Cup because a CFL owner has to be able to have the option to stage a Grey Cup, plus the tremendous economical benefit as well to the host city.

Basicly there are three ways Halifax can go. One, build a Nussli BC Lion type bowl modular stadium which Nussli says can remain standing permanently even though they say it`s a temporary structure like they have done in stadiums almost idential to BC`s temporary Empire stadium in Africa.

Second type would be to go with a BMO field stadium structure but with no bowl in the endzones and twin a two level stadium between the goal lines with open endzones, 12,500 seats on both sides of the stadium, with all the modern amenities.

Or build a precast riser concrete stadium like Prinston`s.

Question here, is that Prinston has indicated a concrete precast riser structure is the cheapest way to go on cost, but I`m not sure of that because the BMO field stadium is constructed out of steel or metal grandstand risers with metal floors and steel or metal support posts with a concrete wall around the stadium to support the beams and the main frame of the stadium, with concrete concourses with permanent washrooms and concessions stands, with modern skyboxes between the lower and upper levels and press boxes and outside decks on top of stadium and no roof to cut costs.

I really think this BMO design and structure is the way to go cost wise and structure wise compared with the NT model NUSSLI type bowl modular stadium, which is a lot cheaper to build but is basicly a make shift stadium and would be a disaster if Halifax those that root.

I believe if Halifax wants to be a player and show why they are the largest city in Atlantic Canada than they have to show their true colors and build a major Halifax to be a player and build it right.

If Halifax are willing to spend 60 million and the BMO 20,500 seat stadium was build for 66 million, I`m confident if they could copy the BMO design and duplicate a twin two level stadium between the goal lines with open end zones with all the latest modern features to seat 25,000 people, expandable to 45,000 plus for a Grey CUP, for 80 to 100 million, than they got it right.

Halifax has to treat a stadium project as important as the 160 million World Trade Centre, the 50 to 60 million dollar library, the 50 million dollar Canada Winter Games Centre, and the 48 million dollar Bedford 4 Pad. These are all firat class facilities which the stadium has to be too! The people of Halifax need to voice their opinion and and push Halifax to build a major stadium which I believe would be more supported than a cheap Nussli modular type bowl make shift stadium that could blow down in a Hurricane if they were it build a Nussli NT structure, that is more suited for Africa in their type of climate and with their economic situation. Halifax needs to build a major stadium, for major events, in the only major city in Atlantic that people in Halifax can be proud of now and in the future.

We the public have to amke it happen!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 4:43 PM

Let Your Feelings be Known

I agree 100% that it is important for people such as ourselves who want to see a multi purpose stadium for Halifax become a reality to let the mayor know how you feel.

I've done some digging and upon checking out Mayor Peter Kelly's own personal website,

http://www.peterkelly.ca

I found in the media section and then scrolling down to the columns for 2010 there is a piece called "stadium for HRM". Clicking on this will bring you to this page.

http://www.peterkelly.ca/pdf/columns...0for%20HRM.pdf

Basically scrolling down this page you will see the question asked about a stadium for HRM and what your feelings are on the subject.

It can't hurt to send off a quick e-mail to the mayor letting him know what your feelings are on this subject and even what type of stadium you would like to see built.

There are a number of contact options provided. I think I will use this one.

kellyp@halifax.ca

Last edited by MaritimeCFLFan; Jan 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 6:44 PM

When I look at peninsular Halifax on Google Earth, Gorsebrook Field looks like one of the obvious options for a stadium .... close to both universities, close to downtown and accompaning amenities. Also, I believe the field is below street level and thus a good start on a sunken bowl. Picture a sunny fall Saturday with The Halifax Privateers playing the Montreal Alouettes ... nice!!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 8:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Privateer View Post
When I look at peninsular Halifax on Google Earth, Gorsebrook Field looks like one of the obvious options for a stadium .... close to both universities, close to downtown and accompaning amenities. Also, I believe the field is below street level and thus a good start on a sunken bowl. Picture a sunny fall Saturday with The Halifax Privateers playing the Montreal Alouettes ... nice!!!
I also like that location (Gorsebrook). There also seems to be some room to have parking. Does anyone know the name of the modern building in the center of the Gorsebrook lot?

PS:

One concept that has advantages for a stadium design would be a multi-tier design such as the one that I drew in SketchUp below. The advantages are - 1) a roof could cover all of the seats in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tiers but be fairly basic with a relatively short overhang 2) it could be built with stairways that are at the back of each tier so as to eliminate vomitoriums within the stands 3) It would be compact with sight-lines directly over the field (the upper tiers could be clubseats and luxury boxes - as many as required). The one that I drew below seats about 26,000 with seats along both sidelines but could easily be expanded to about 45,000 with either temporary or permanent seats.

This is just how I imagine a stadium might be. It illustrates a way to minimize the size of a partial roof structure and still cover a majority of the seats. The height could be minimized if the lowest level were sunken (about 23 feet).

The Texas State Bobcats Stadium is somewhat similar to this concept - http://www.23hq.com/noevela/photo/4861276 - except the Bobcats Stadium doesn't have a roof (as is the case with many US university stadiums). Some race tracks have been built this way (multilevel with a partial roof over the stands).

This is a field-level perspective:

This is a view from the highest stadium level (4th tier)

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM. Reason: updated the images - July 24, 2011

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:16 AM

I love your rendering Fenwick - with all the wheelchair locations. Well thought out.

For me; the argument about the stadium comes down to (for the most part) ease of land aquisition, ease of construction and site servicing. I have to be honest that I don't like the idea of this going out to somewhere like exhibition park because as far as I know; it's not on city sewer or water (if I'm wrong, well I just don't think its the right site).

When I look at the previous discussion about choosing either Shannon Park or Dartmouth Crossing - it comes down to the ease of how to get the land and get it built.

Shannon represents a brownfield site that for the most part can be reworked and a stadium incorporated into a new development; along with a high speed ferry. As for the issue of not a lot of restaurants to service the site; if a stadium were incorporated into a mixed use development then there is a likelyhood that restaurants (along with other types of development) would come along for ground floor retail. This reworking also includes new roads to deal with traffic congestion - which would likely be only event related (for the most part).

Dartmouth Crossing benefits from the fact it has easy access to existing road network and there are some existing restaurants and chances are as things grow and a stadium is built - I suspect that more restaurants would crop up.

While I personally have always favoured the Windsor location next to the forum and while I have no doubt gorsebrook field is okay - I think from the ease of aquiring land perspective and the ease of getting the development approved, you would have a better chance at DC or SP versus on the Peninsula. But that's just my two cents. Frankly, I'd be happy to see it go forward so long as it's well thought out and integrated with it's surroundings.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:37 AM
Honored Member

Thanks for your comments halifaxboyns. What about near the Canada Games location at the Halifax Mainland Commons?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thanks for your comments halifaxboyns. What about near the Canada Games location at the Halifax Mainland Commons?
As I said before; I am really neutral on getting this built in terms of locations. But when I look at ease of acquiring land, I suspect you'd have groups up in arms that you were putting a stadium that would require people to pay to access commons land - that would be my guess.

If you really want to avoid a lot of the nimby's, I would guess that it would have to be off the peninsula which would mean the downtown bars/pubs would be pissed.

I would guess that exhibition park (an option I don't like), near RIM, SP or DC would be workable locations because they aren't really in the middle of residential which would have nimby's. But you never know...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 11:16 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:09 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 11:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettinhalifax View Post
The only other country bidding for the 2015 Women's World Cup is... wait for it... ZIMBABWE!

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federa...d=1366322.html

It is just us vs. Zimbabwe. No Chile. No Australia. It looks good for Canada, and for some federal $$ for a stadium in Halifax.

Hopefully a stadium will get built. Any size stadium anywhere in HRM would be an improvement over what we have now.
Based purely on recent FIFA decisions, don't count Zimbabwe out yet!!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 11:36 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:08 AM. Reason: account deleted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment