HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:09 AM

Surprised this hasn't been posted...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-redevelopment

February 21, 2017
CHA picks Texas firm for Cabrini-Green redevelopment

By ALBY GALLUN

Quote:
A Texas developer plans to build nearly 500 homes on the site of the former Cabrini-Green housing complex, another big step in the city's long-running push to redevelop the Near North Side property.

The Chicago Housing Authority said its Board of Commissions has picked a team led by El Paso-based Hunt Development Group to develop 480 units of mixed-income housing on a 6.9-acre site at Larrabee Street and Clybourn Avenue. The project will include a 21-story tower, 32,900-square feet of retail space and several connected mid-rise buildings and low-rise townhomes, according to the CHA.

The city has been working on a final redevelopment plan for Cabrini-Green since tearing down the last towers in the notorious housing project nearly six years ago. The surrounding area has been filling in with new luxury residential towers and retail projects, including a Target store on Division St. and the NewCity shopping center at Clybourn and Halsted Street.

Hunt will serve as the Master Developer in a collaboration with Imagine Group and Chicago Neighborhood Initiatives, a unit of U.S. Bank best known for a big development in the South Side neighborhood of Pullman.

Hunt, which beat out four other development teams, has built more than 90 projects and 12,000 affordable and public housing units in urban areas such as Chicago, Dallas and Honolulu, according to the CHA. In Chicago, Hunt owns the Heritage Shops at Millennium Park retail property and has invested in apartment buildings in the South Loop and West Loop. A Hunt executive in Chicago did not return a phone call.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:10 AM

^ Welp, looks like you beat me to the article

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
863 N. Orleans
143,000 sqft of offices w/ retail | 176 ft | 15 parking spots

Edit: Link was broken, should be fixed now
Does this take up the whole block between Chestnut and Locust?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Does this take up the whole block between Chestnut and Locust?
They're only seeking to develop the vacant lot on the block, so Gold Coast Wash and the building next to it are left alone.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:40 AM

Quote:
They're only seeking to develop the vacant lot on the block, so Gold Coast Wash and the building next to it are left alone.
Speaking of which, there was a permit issued the other day for $750K to renovate the former club space next to it that's been like 5 different clubs before. One of the names behind it, I think, is one of the guys behind places like Broken English Taco Pub.

Wondering if something that will last for more than a year without a bunch of dbags inhabiting it will go in there - or at least a different breed. Now that there's 2 new residential high rises there, it might be more of a thing.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:27 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

**BULLETIN** Steel is now going up at 625 W Adams.

Saw this over the weekend as well.....makes more sense to me, as I was assuming this would be that rare post-2000 all concrete office tower, which seemed to me an odd choice......this has a large garage, however, for an office tower just a couple blocks from union station...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:15 PM

Speaking of 1035 W. Van Buren, I think it's finally got a name. I drove by the site and saw signage for "Landmark West Loop."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
863 N. Orleans
143,000 sqft of offices w/ retail | 176 ft | 15 parking spots

Edit: Link was broken, should be fixed now
whoah buddy! That is much taller than the previously planned plan for the site! I wonder if they are going to buy out that awful and temporarily shut down nightclub as well

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...north-orleans/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Speaking of 1035 W. Van Buren, I think it's finally got a name. I drove by the site and saw signage for "Landmark West Loop."
Uggh, I know im not alone being annoyed in this conversation of buildings names. The only reason a building should ever have a name or title is if it's 60+ floors. These names are just getting so cheap and just blah. Ive brought it up before but New York just seems classier because they tend to use address over a name. Just an opinion, dont want to start a war.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:56 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Uggh, I know im not alone being annoyed in this conversation of buildings names. The only reason a building should ever have a name or title is if it's 60+ floors. These names are just getting so cheap and just blah. Ive brought it up before but New York just seems classier because they tend to use address over a name. Just an opinion, dont want to start a war.
New York tends to use addresses moreso than Chicago? Are you sure that's true? Even outside of the tourist spots like the Empire State Building or the World Trade Center or the Chrysler Building (which all fall into your 60+ story exception category), there are plenty of well-known New York buildings that have names. They also have addresses, too, but are often known by their names. The Dakota comes to mind, but there's also River House, the Lever Building, The Pierre, the Hotel Carlyle, The Mondrian, the Oriana, Beekman Regent, St James Tower, etc, etc.

I think most Chicago buildings go by their address even if the developer assigns a name to them. I mean, nobody asks a cab driver to take them to Kenect do they?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
no one cares about the names outside of the marketing brochure. theyre all going to be forgotten in under 15 years.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:58 PM

I saw additional construction fencing up along Renelle today at 403 N Wabash

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:08 PM

Printers Row buildings all have names which people in the neighborhood generally use to refer to them (Manhattan, Donahue, Franklin, Transportation, etc.). Maybe it's just off-putting for new construction versus historic buildings?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:18 PM
The City

Quote:
We should do things the opposite just because New York does it that way.

I wish more people would catch onto this thinking

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:31 PM

I live in the Gold Coast/Old Town area where most of the buildings have names. However, most people refer to a building buy its address, especially along Lake Shore Drive.

There are some buildings though that everyone refer to by their names. The Constellation, for instance. And all the Sandburg buildings.

Some names stick. Other names don't. In the end, does it really matter?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
no one cares about the names outside of the marketing brochure. theyre all going to be forgotten in under 15 years.
I am interested in a condo 860 W Blackhawk, and if I buy, no way I'm ever calling that place SoNo. That's just embarrassing

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 8:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Me too. Fits in well with the neighborhood. Reminds me of something you'd see in Chelsea in NYC.
Morris Adjmi just posted the mockup of the garage screening to their Instagram today. Even for a parking podium, this is still classy as f*ck.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 1:38 AM
BANNED

^Classy AF, indeed. Makes me laugh, as someone who knew nothing of Morris Adjmi's portfolio, their Instagram profile pic is of the highly acclaimed 837 Washington Street, in Chelsea!

By the way, I just now did a quick floor count, and it appears we're at 14 from the podium, which leaves about 7 more floors to go. This one is already making quite the impact.

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Feb 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM. Reason: Floor Count

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I am interested in a condo 860 W Blackhawk, and if I buy, no way I'm ever calling that place SoNo. That's just embarrassing
Those are some pricey units, high roller. We'd be neighbors!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 10:49 PM

Looks like 975 W. Wilson grew in height, because of feedback from the DPD and Uptown United, and is now 12 floors

http://chicago.curbed.com/2017/2/23/...son-apartments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations