HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 5:46 AM
Transit Nerd

Funnelators Thread! (discussion, photos, sarcasm, etc)

Thought I'd start a thread for it, especially since we'll be swarmed by these damn things soon...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 12:17 PM

I think they are a great addition to our downtown. Something unique and what sets us apart from other major city centres.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 12:20 PM

Is their supposed to be a funnelator all over downtown or is it just restricted to portage and south portage?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Is their supposed to be a funnelator all over downtown or is it just restricted to portage and south portage?

SHED district was my understanding. Starting around the MTS centre and moving outward.
No timeline or the numbers to be erected as far as I've heard.

I like what they bring to the area.

I'm sure comments reg: how they were financed and better ways to improve the core soon to follow.....

Add: As well as maintenace costs and money better spent...."Fill in blank" here...____________

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
SHED district was my understanding. Starting around the MTS centre and moving outward.
No timeline or the numbers to be erected as far as I've heard.

I like what they bring to the area.

I'm sure comments reg: how they were financed and better ways to improve the core soon to follow.....

Add: As well as maintenace costs and money better spent...."Fill in blank" here...____________
hahaha, no kidding. Well I won't be the first. I like 'em. I'd like downtown to be a fairly bright and colourful place at night. These things help.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:15 PM

I was not so sure about them when they were first announced, but now I welcome them given their purpose. It looks pretty cool in that picture.

Something downtown Winnipeg needs, imo...more night time light!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 11:24 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I saw a couple of those already, especially at night, and I have to say they are really cool, and bring some sort of quirkiness and interest to where ever it is located. It's not a bad thing, it just makes the whole downtown more unique than other cities.

I say, keep spreading these things!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 11:49 PM

are the tarps draped overtop going to be included each winter?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejb View Post
are the tarps draped overtop going to be included each winter?
the one next to the library had the tarp taken off and a "lid" installed about two weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 2:08 AM

^ I think that's the only one installed so far.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 10:48 AM

From what I saw online the library one is a test bed to see what they can do with the led screen and how well it works in the cold. The article in the Metro says Center Venture will be looking at more locations later in the spring.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 12:32 PM

I love them, very unique and hip.

only worry is that over time as maintenance is required (lights not working, base rusting) they make look shabby.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:15 PM

Hasn't the Golden Boy got one in his hand? Don't know where he keeps his cell phone though.

Also found this:The Golden Boy was modelled after the 16th century sculpture of the Roman messenger god of trade, profit and commerce, Mercury[4] by Giovanni da Bologna. The sheaf of wheat in its left arm represents the fruits of labour while the torch in its right hand represents a call to youth to join his eternal pursuit of a more prosperous future. The statue faces in the direction of Manitoba's north, pointing towards the region to symbolize its importance as a provider of important natural resources and economic opportunity.

“Manitoba Golden Boy” is a traditional fiddle tune in the statue's honour. The chorus includes the following:

He’s the symbol of success
At the gateway to the west
And he’s our legendary pride and joy.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:05 PM

FUNKelator instalation @ the Millennium....

Video Link

Source

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:19 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I just realized that all it needs now is a shiny disco ball, and some bumping music, along with the few other locations where the funnelator would be installed. Then, you'd have a major downtown dance party going on!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:09 AM

I don't know... To me it seems a little cheesy and gimmicky, just because Winnipeg itself doesn't exactly have a high-tech look to it. I think the funnelators will end up getting removed to be honest.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I don't know... To me it seems a little cheesy and gimmicky, just because Winnipeg itself doesn't exactly have a high-tech look to it. I think the funnelators will end up getting removed to be honest.
Well, it might give that impression, but the downtown in this area needs a shot in the arm when it comes to street level appearance. I actually hope they continue their plan and move forward with more of them.This area needs more than a few planters and benches to accomplish this and create something unique and different.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Well, it might give that impression, but the downtown in this area needs a shot in the arm when it comes to street level appearance. I actually hope they continue their plan and move forward with more of them.This area needs more than a few planters and benches to accomplish this and create something unique and different.
It will take more than basic cityscaping (of which, should have been done YEARS ago) to revitalize the downtown area. Regardless Precinct K seems like it's pulling through anyways so once again downtown Winnipeg will be ignored...again.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It will take more than basic cityscaping (of which, should have been done YEARS ago) to revitalize the downtown area. Regardless Precinct K seems like it's pulling through anyways so once again downtown Winnipeg will be ignored...again.
I don't dwell on what should have been done, or may have been done years ago, reg: revitalizing downtown, unless someone can change the past?
Were talking about a particular feature recently added to the area. Funnelators.
Do they add or detract form the appeal of the area?
We can always veer off into the downfall of our downtown due to social issues that should have been addressed over a decade ago. Maybe in another thread.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I don't dwell on what should have been done, or may have been done years ago, reg: revitalizing downtown, unless someone can change the past?
Were talking about a particular feature recently added to the area. Funnelators.
Do they add or detract form the appeal of the area?
We can always veer off into the downfall of our downtown due to social issues that should have been addressed over a decade ago. Maybe in another thread.
I didn't mean to stray off topic but it seems like Winnipeg has a funny way of repeating its mistakes. I'm not dwelling on anything because I moved from that city but to let stuff like that slide by unnoticed is not okay.

I'll get us back on topic: the Funnelators, although I really like the idea, distracts us from the real issues of downtown. I feel that it just doesn't suit Winnipeg and that it will be another project that doesn't follow-through. Only time will tell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan