HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:55 AM

I suppose you could still order online or do curbside pickups where available.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:23 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I suppose you could still order online or do curbside pickups where available.
I mean that's great and all for most items, but I think I speak for most people when I say that trying on items is pretty important, especially shoes.

Question, are all businesses allowed to do curbside?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:42 PM

Yeah I think so. They just don't want people in the stores mingling around the makeup counter or what ever

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I mean that's great and all for most items, but I think I speak for most people when I say that trying on items is pretty important, especially shoes.
I get that it's an inconvenience, but come on, it's a pandemic... either roll the dice on a pair of shoes online and send them back if they don't fit, or use what you have and just wait until you can go back into stores again.

Seeing the people on the news last night stuffing 55" TVs into their trunks before the deadline made me chuckle... these people know that you can still order for curbside pickup and delivery, right?!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:30 PM

They're getting on those early black friday deals!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
It’s just more nonsense so they can look like they are doing something. Just trying to appease the “my business is shut down but Walmart is making millions” crowd
I don't think it's nonsense. The idea is to give people fewer reasons to be out and about. Closing non-essential retail doesn't accomplish much if people can just pile into Walmart to do the same shopping.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:02 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
I don't think it's nonsense. The idea is to give people fewer reasons to be out and about. Closing non-essential retail doesn't accomplish much if people can just pile into Walmart to do the same shopping.
It's psychotic. I really don't see how preventing someone from picking up an item from a different shelf is actually going to solve anything. It's fascistic is what it is.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:22 PM
jammon member

Quote:
It's psychotic. I really don't see how preventing someone from picking up an item from a different shelf is actually going to solve anything. It's fascistic is what it is.
I think the province has screwed up and they are looking for any way to curb the tide of new cases. But let's face it- the primary mode of community transmission through this all has been through get-togethers. People not observing rules, having big get-togethers and in some cases, like the girl who went to the party in the Maples, was symptomatic and still went to the party! I heard of 30+ people get-togethers at Thanksgiving.

The province should have enforced the new rules way back in September when cases were creeping higher. I remember having this exact conversation with nursing colleagues and everyone was saying that the time was then to start with new restrictions. Now we're in deep- did anyone see the article about Golden Links Lodge? The system is strapped right now. I'm hearing about it everyday in my job. I have to tell you- our healthcare system is being pushed to the brink right now. https://globalnews.ca/news/7474261/g...odge-covid-19/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
So there are two parts in play here:
  1. People should only be out to buy essential things. So stores which do not sell essential things need to be closed
  2. Some giant chain stores, like Wal-Mart, sell both essential and non-essential items

So if you only close non-essential stores, you are choosing to divert money to chain stores from local stores (instead of simply delaying purchases altogether, which could then return to a local store after restrictions are lifted).

You are correct, there is little risk in someone who is shopping for food going over to pick up a hockey stick from the sports section at Wal-Mart. But, by allowing Wal-Mart to continue selling non-essential goods, you are:
  1. Taking that business away from local, niche stores
  2. Allowing people to continue going out for *just* non-essential goods (they could still go to Wal-Mart for just that stick, and not get any food)

It's not fascism. Perhaps you meant authoritarianism in general (fascism is the merger of the state and corporate interests through ultra-nationalism, which one form of authoritarianism). But even then, we accept in democracies the idea of temporarily suspending freedoms for the sake of solving a crisis (or permanent suspending some freedoms for the public good, like banning smoking indoors).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I think the province has screwed up and they are looking for any way to curb the tide of new cases. But let's face it- the primary mode of community transmission through this all has been through get-togethers. People not observing rules, having big get-togethers and in some cases, like the girl who went to the party in the Maples, was symptomatic and still went to the party! I heard of 30+ people get-togethers at Thanksgiving.

The province should have enforced the new rules way back in September when cases were creeping higher. I remember having this exact conversation with nursing colleagues and everyone was saying that the time was then to start with new restrictions. Now we're in deep- did anyone see the article about Golden Links Lodge? The system is strapped right now. I'm hearing about it everyday in my job. I have to tell you- our healthcare system is being pushed to the brink right now. https://globalnews.ca/news/7474261/golden-links-lodge-covid-19/
Definitely agree with this sentinent. Transmission was most likely from private gatherings and not public retail/gyms etc... That being said, shit has hit the fan and both hospitals and contact tracing are overwhelmed. We don't know where cases are coming from and so the province has to act to reduce as many tranmission opportunities while allowing people to meet their very basic needs. As much as it sucks to be exclusively online, preventing people from meandering casually for xmas gifts and black friday deals in public spaces is a risk reduction approach to limit exposure.

It's too bad it took just a small fraction of the population that thought their typical thanksgiving and halloween celebrations were more important than having somethig more scaled back in the name of public health, but here we are.

On a slightly positive note, if you look at RHA specific data, it seems like daily winnipeg cases are trending downward, as Manitoba total cases seem to be shifting rural (esp. Southern health), although that number isn't dropping

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:57 PM

MANITOBA COVID-19 UPDATE NOV. 20:
- 438 new cases
- 12,919 total
- 7,861 active
- 207 dead
- 9 deaths yesterday
- 281 hospital, 43 ICU

- 4,851 recovered
- 324,973 tests
- 3,061YDA
- TP 13.7%

New cases:

Winnipeg - 247
Southern - 114
Northern - 27
Prairie Mountain - 27
Interlake-Eastern - 23

It took 248 days to record 100 deaths. It took 13 days to double it.

In Steinbach, the 10-day test positivity rate is 40%. Source of transmission is Steinbach is community-based transmission. Essentially, everywhere.

90 of 100 ICU beds in use as of midnight. 33 of the 66 patients ventilated have COVID

872 surgeries postponed.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:05 PM

God will save the people in Steinbach, apparently.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:11 PM

Is anyone at all in Steinbach wearing masks or taking precautions?!?!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:11 PM

RIP to the young man in his 20s that passed away from covid. 40% positivity rate in the southern health region is nuts. They should block people from coming into Winnipeg unless it is an absolute emergency.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:37 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
RIP to the young man in his 20s that passed away from covid. 40% positivity rate in the southern health region is nuts. They should block people from coming into Winnipeg unless it is an absolute emergency.
Agreed. It sounds like they are going to focusing some of the prevention money to Steinbach to start handing out fines for those who don't wear masks in public, etc. I should also mention, maybe for those that aren't aware, Southern Health also includes communities like Carman, Morden, Winkler, and Altona and we are seeing spikes in those communities as well. Southern Health basically covers anything south of Winnipeg, east to the border and west to essentially past Treherne where Prairie Mountain takes over.

To a point about WRHA- I looked back at my updates and Winnipeg has been very consistent in the # of new cases since the beginning of November. There has been some ebb and flow, but for the last 10 days it has pretty much been stable with over 200+ new cases a day outside of a few days where it was less than 200 (on weekends). But, I don't think you can say that Winnipeg is trending downwards yet.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:40 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Agreed. It sounds like they are going to focusing some of the prevention money to Steinbach to start handing out fines for those who don't wear masks in public, etc. I should also mention, maybe for those that aren't aware, Southern Health also includes communities like Carman, Morden, Winkler, and Altona and we are seeing spikes in those communities as well. Southern Health basically covers anything south of Winnipeg, east to the border and west to essentially past Treherne where Prairie Mountain takes over.

To a point about WRHA- I looked back at my updates and Winnipeg has been very consistent in the # of new cases since the beginning of November. There has been some ebb and flow, but for the last 10 days it has pretty much been stable with over 200+ new cases a day outside of a few days where it was less than 200 (on weekends). But, I don't think you can say that Winnipeg is trending downwards yet.
Right, but we know what the curves look like. Chances are strong that given the stability of the increase, things are about to start trending in the other direction, at least insofar as Winnipeg is concerned.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:20 PM

^In the summer when we had zero cases for almost 2 weeks, chances were that we were doing fantastic. Now look at us.

I hope you're right. But based on the Christmas season approaching, hoping that it doesn't get to another level.

I suppose most of the recent cases have been in PCH's, which is terrible. But at what point does it run its course through all the PCH's and we see that part of it drop off.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^In the summer when we had zero cases for almost 2 weeks, chances were that we were doing fantastic. Now look at us.

I hope you're right. But based on the Christmas season approaching, hoping that it doesn't get to another level.

I suppose most of the recent cases have been in PCH's, which is terrible. But at what point does it run its course through all the PCH's and we see that part of it drop off.
Not sure. There are still spreading cases in LTC facilities in Ontario, so I doubt it's gone through everything in Manitoba, yet, either.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:25 PM

No it hasn't yet for sure. I'm just wondering what those numbers look like. How long will it continue for in PCH's. Will it go back through the same ones again? Nobody seems to know.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:

There should be a complete shutdown in Steinbach & region for a minimum of two weeks. Set up RCMP checkpoints at all main highways in and out.

If we don't do anything to contain outbreaks we just stay in this cycle. Even if you don't care about the health implications, the economic implications are HUGE to letting this virus run wild.

Here's the problem in facilities: all of health policy treats PPE as protective toward the person wearing it. Very little of the PPE used in health facilities will truly protect the wearer from acquiring a respiratory virus that is airborne. We are not providing properly fitted N95's broadly.

We have major outbreaks in the staffs of our hospitals and PCH's, and this is going to be 4-6 weeks of absolute disaster until the New Year. Whether we can limit it to that timeframe will depend on measures taken today and if the public complies. Thus far we have half-measures with too many exceptions to truly interrupt transmission. We still have far too many non-essentials going into workplaces. People need to be able to work from home and Public Health needs to order this.

We need Roussin to paint this picture for people and not tap dance around it. Of course this will mean talking about his own vast failure of policy in his realm of Public Health, but at what point do you step up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan