HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:18 PM
Fizzix geek

I have a vague memory of going to The Spaghetti Factory downtown as a kid... where was that? I feel like it was maybe where the Five Fishermen is located, but am not sure.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I have a vague memory of going to The Spaghetti Factory downtown as a kid... where was that? I feel like it was maybe where the Five Fishermen is located, but am not sure.
The Spaghetti Factory was in the present McKelvies restaurant, which was originally a fire station.
http://mckelvies.com/about.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:14 PM
Fizzix geek

Ah ok... I guess it was just that I remember playing frisbee in the Grand Parade before going there, so I assumed in my mind it must have been close by.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:44 PM

I'm a bit too young to be able to contribute to this thread much, but I love reading through it.

I'm curious about the Dartmouth IKEA. When did it open? When did it close? What building was it located in, exactly? (My parents said it was on Akerley Blvd).

Edit: I was searching for info in old editions of the 4th Estate newspaper available online at NSARM and found this interesting map from 1976. Interesting because I had always simply assumed the earliest Burnside developments would have been closer to the Circ.

Last edited by alps; Jun 1, 2011 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 10:28 PM

I remember the Ice Cream Factory on Tacoma; Swensons on Spring Garden where the Dairy Queen just was; Fat Franks in the spot that now holds a Jewellery store on Spring Garden; And...(drum roll please) A&Ws in two spots: Bedford across from the recently moved atlantic gardens, and Kempt Rd where the McDonalds is now. They were the ones with trays that hung on the window in your parking spot where you ordered through your own intercom.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The Spaghetti Factory was in the present McKelvies restaurant, which was originally a fire station.
http://mckelvies.com/about.html
Actualy there were two different Spaghetti Factory (or similar name) restos downtown: the one you noted in the McKelvies location, and another one in the space that most recently housed Bubbles Mansion. I do not believe they were related. The one in the Bubbles location was part of this chain:

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 2:41 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog794 View Post
I remember going Christmas shopping with my grandmother @ the Eatons in MicMac Mall, and when the Coles there, was the book store for the area. I also remember the Downtown Dartmouth Natal Day festivities, the Moosehead Grand Prix, and when Admiral Westphal was a rival Jr. High.
I was going to mention the Moosehead Grand Prix as well. I would love to see something like that again. Even if on a smaller scale car.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 2:44 PM
Fizzix geek

What was the name of the faux 50's diner that used to be in Scotia Square back in the early '80s? I remember it had an old car sitting by the front of the store, and diner style seating with individual juke boxes at each table.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I'm a bit too young to be able to contribute to this thread much, but I love reading through it.

I'm curious about the Dartmouth IKEA. When did it open? When did it close? What building was it located in, exactly? (My parents said it was on Akerley Blvd).

Edit: I was searching for info in old editions of the 4th Estate newspaper available online at NSARM and found this interesting map from 1976. Interesting because I had always simply assumed the earliest Burnside developments would have been closer to the Circ.

I remember shopping at Ikea in Burnside in 1986; it wasn't there long before that and was probably gone by 1988. I was in Halifax then, and we had to take a bus accross the bridge, and then a bus to Shannon Park, and then walk in ti Burnside. Ikea was near the mooshead brewery (Is now brewdebakers?) location.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:55 PM
we built this city

I remember when SSP Halifax was just a thread, and people still used SSC.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I remember shopping at Ikea in Burnside in 1986; it wasn't there long before that and was probably gone by 1988.
I am pretty sure Ikea was there in the late 70s. I remember visiting a friend's house around '80 or '81 and they had an Ikea dining set that they had owned for a while.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I am pretty sure Ikea was there in the late 70s. I remember visiting a friend's house around '80 or '81 and they had an Ikea dining set that they had owned for a while.
I have a chest of drawers that i bought from them last month; it came in the mail. I'm fairly sure that it wasn't there before mid 80's

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 2:18 AM

I'm pretty sure it was the 80s too. I remember standing outside in the rain with my mom for the opening or maybe it was a door crashing sale, but I'm pretty sure it was the opening. They gave out free umbrellas to everyone waiting.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZET View Post
I have a chest of drawers that i bought from them last month; it came in the mail.
Theirs didn't, smart guy.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog794 View Post
I remember going Christmas shopping with my grandmother @ the Eatons in MicMac Mall, and when the Coles there, was the book store for the area. I also remember the Downtown Dartmouth Natal Day festivities, the Moosehead Grand Prix, and when Admiral Westphal was a rival Jr. High.
Ha ha, you must have went to Caledonia Jr. High. I did, and I remember the perrenial rumour that "...there was going to be a rumble with Admiral Westphal after school..." Don't think one ever happened LOL

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 2:56 PM

I remember the strip mall type place by the MacDonald Bridge in Dartmouth had an IGA, I would go there all the time with my mom shopping. I remember going to yard sales a lot when I lived on Albro Lake Rd., lot's of ps1's and Genesis stuff. I also remember getting my first Nintendo 64 at the Mic Mac mall... I also remember going to Halifax via the ferry a lot and would walk around plenty...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Theirs didn't, smart guy.
I'm not being smart (playful perhaps, but I wouldn't call it smart) You didn't say they they bought it there, just that they had it. Sounded as if they could have bought it through the mail. I can only go on what you said.
PS, I thought that Queen Judith didn't like Ikea.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 12:45 AM

Of course they bought it there. Nobody here ever heard of Ikea until they opened their store in Burnside in the mid-70s. Once they did it became the go-to place for young couples and university students to buy furniture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...th_IKEA_stores

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Of course they bought it there. Nobody here ever heard of Ikea until they opened their store in Burnside in the mid-70s. Once they did it became the go-to place for young couples and university students to buy furniture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...th_IKEA_stores
Checking the "Discussion" tab on that page, there is a lengthy discussion on whether the Dartmouth store is an urban legend, plus the reason for its closing (if it's ever existed, of course ).

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 1:37 AM

I remember when Zapata's was in the CBC building @ Sackville & South Park...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues