HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite design!
TorontoDrew 1 5.00%
koops65 1 5.00%
urbandreamer 8 40.00%
dleung 5 25.00%
ericmacm 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:04 PM
recession proof

Yeah or can it be set up for a delayed poll?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 1:39 AM

I'm just going to do a data dump here and it can be reposted on a new thread when it comes to it

The Coastal Tower is a blend of far-east and Coast-Salish motifs anchored to the bedrock in a manner reflecting the tapering verticality of the coastal rainforest. A throwback to mid-2000's west-coast contemporary, which I think we didn't get enough of prior to the current trend towards all things miami-beach. Tower heights are 188 and 107m with a 56m office podium to align with the mid-height datums established by neighbouring buildings and the first section of Telus garden.

I had originally envisioned a version where the graphic wall set inside the "hollow tree trunk" core is textured concrete with water trickling down the sloped lower half from the small reflective pool atop the podium, with a natural mossy discolouration similar to the buttress runnels from the olympic oval, but the black granite was easier to render

Last edited by dleung; Jan 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:38 AM

Really nice work Dleung. My only issue is the balconies don't look thick enough to house irrigation. I would assume the vegetation would need to be housed in planters.

I've been furloughed so I have some time now to join the fun.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:27 PM
recession proof

Very nice! I had been thinking of adding Coast Salish-inspired street art to my design (I've got personal connections to that community) but decided on another direction.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:41 PM

Amazing proposal dleung.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:29 PM

Really amazing proposal dleung! I really love the use of the warm tones and the wood/stone elements, a good contrast from the pure glass aesthetic that Vancouver seems to embrace these days.

I'm also going to release my entry early so it can be readily put in a new thread, I finished up a couple of days ago.

I opted for only a single tower. The tower is purely office, and would be the tallest office tower in Vancouver at 45s and 189m tall. The tower includes amenity floors on the 5th and 15th floors, and a small green roof at the top floor of the tower. Floors 2-4 have 2,826 sqm floor plates, floors 5-14 have 1,730 sqm floor plates, and the main tower has 748 sqm floor plates, culminating at a total of 25,778 sqm of office space.

Design inspirations were influenced by the clean minimalism of the Bay-Adelaide Centre in Toronto, and the overhanging ledges of the Exchange Tower in Vancouver. I can also say that the recent release of Cyberpunk 2077 inspired a few of my design choices as well.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:42 AM
recession proof

Nice. Do you guys use PlaceMaker? I just discovered it kind of out of the 3D design loop so my design isn't going to look as slick.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Nice. Do you guys use PlaceMaker? I just discovered it kind of out of the 3D design loop so my design isn't going to look as slick.
No, but I'm familiar with it. I can't justify paying that much for a subscription to a plugin at the moment. I use a combo of OSM models generated in my rendering software, hand-modeled massings (for proposed buildings not in OSM yet), or stitched blocks from CADMapper.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:26 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Those renders look great guys... I can easily see I'm using an old-fashioned platform compared to yours, so maybe I'll resort to using some photoshop trickery to compete...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 9:45 PM
recession proof

Three towers:
- 32 storey residential tower on the corner of Robson and Richards with 295 units
- 38 storey residential tower on Richards with 355 units
- 26 storey hotel on Seymour Street with 180 rooms
- retail at grade
- 2nd and 3rd floor amenity space
- plenty of green roofs
- underground parking

Seymour

Robson

Richards

rear alley

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Those renders look great guys... I can easily see I'm using an old-fashioned platform compared to yours, so maybe I'll resort to using some photoshop trickery to compete...
I'd suggest that we don't judge designs based on render quality, which is only relevant to the extent that it communicates materials and massing. To encourage participation, we shouldn't assume everyone has access to high powered programs through work. Plus I've gotten so jaded by old developer tricks that my mind automatically substitutes more realistic light levels in place of what's shown in renders lol

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:29 PM

Agreed. It shouldn't matter what kind of software people are using or the image quality of the renders that are being produced. It's the design that counts.

@Koops and TorontoDrew, do you guys want more time to work on it?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:03 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

No, I don't need more time. I'm having a rough time with my computer lately for some reason. Here is my entry, for better or worse:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:35 AM

It looks good Koops! Really solid job with the photo matching for Google Earth too!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:10 AM

Koops, you should try Google Sketchup - it's free, super simple/intuitive to learn and can load directly into Google Earth without photoshop, like this:

Looking forward to seeing Andrew's. He got me into this in the first place!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:16 PM
recession proof

If it's too hard to create a poll we could just say who we think won here. The winner picks a new site - try to keep it to one tower with a shorter deadline imo.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:57 PM

Agreed - smaller one-tower sites next time!

I just made a new dedicated thread for this round

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada