HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:27 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I'm not bothered by the blank wall. Besides, something will likely be built to cover it up once that bunker-like building on the same block is redeveloped.

I don't like the artificiality of requiring false facades...it's a city, not Disneyland. False facades are usually not very convincing. And it's wasteful if the facade is liable to be covered up in the future anyway. We don't need more regulation mandating arbitrary setbacks from the property line. The preference for "point towers" over squatter buildings that meet the property line is also a matter of personal preference.

In Japanese cities, many people would consider individual buildings very often basically "ugly". But the cities are highly liveable as a result of dense, walkable urban design with active streetscapes, human scale at ground level, high quality public realm, good public transit, etc. And the cities are beautiful and distinctive when viewed as a whole. So I feel we should definitely encourage good urban design through planning regulations (i.e. mandating continuous, active street frontages), but I feel we shouldn't be too prescriptive when it comes to purely aesthetic matters.
Not sure how a wall with false windows is Disneyland like. A wall with no windows (especially one with tin siding) vs a wall with windows would lose the beauty contest every time. Development for development sake is not a good planning model. Building design / appearance is subjective and will always stir debate about modern vs traditional etc. Blank walls are in a separate category as very few people would find them a welcome addition to a cityscape. The original Midtown Tavern hotel proposal had a 17 storey blank wall facing the mouth of the harbour. The building was designed to the property line which happened to be a parking lot. If the building had been built those who approved would likely have to wait a long time for a 17 fl. building to be built beside it to cover up a planning mistake.

Are the windows in this building Disneylandish?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leinster_Gardens

Last edited by Empire; Apr 23, 2017 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:13 AM

^ There are actually at least two examples along these lines in Halifax: the wastewater pumping station (?) at Barrington/Inglis, and a fairly new mechanical/storage shed (forget the exact use) across from Pier 21. The second example turned out a bit better/more convincing than the first.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 10:45 PM

So... is this how this side is going to look permanently? I'm confused why they wouldn't take advantage of rooms facing the harbour.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 11:36 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
So... is this how this side is going to look permanently? I'm confused why they wouldn't take advantage of rooms facing the harbour.

They would either need a setback from the interior lot boundary to allow for windows, or since they built to the interior lot boundary they need a blank wall for fire safety regulations. Empire knows the applicable regulations, I am just basing this on past comments by Empire. Is this correct Empire?

However, even if they did have a setback and windows, there is the potential of the windows being blocked by adjacent building in the future (for example the south side of the CIBC tower blocked by the TD building).

100% lot coverage is allowed in the Central Blocks (map 8) on buildings less than 33.5 meters tall, and in the Central Blocks no setback is required for buildings under 33.5 meters tall - https://www.halifax.ca/planning/docu...alifax_LUB.pdf

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 1:25 AM
Halifax Promoter!

In the interim until a building is built in front, this building should do something like a huge billboard or light display - advertising or just electronic, anything but the stark wall.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:59 PM

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:34 PM
Halifax Promoter!

That stark, red wall is disgusting, see my previous comment...

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:48 PM

Oh wow... is that red the final state of those walls? It almost looks like some kind of vapour barrier but it doesn't have the requisite branding that you would usually see.

Yeah, I agree. If this is its finished state that is just plain butt-ugly...

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:59 PM
Honored Member

Yes that is certainly unappealing. Surely that can't be the final cladding.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:20 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Yes that is certainly unappealing. Surely that can't be the final cladding.
I assure you it's the final cladding. I have been preaching for years that our blank wall policy would lead to this. Now what to do...nothing, the damage is done and you might see dozens more just like it in the downtown.

I have been saying that under no circumstance should a blank wall be permitted. Either set back the building to allow for windows or construct a wall with FAKE windows. Hopefully this wall will be the determining factor for a policy change. This same application happened to a building on the south side of the Roy building a few years ago, and guess what...no one noticed. I call for the siding to be removed.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:21 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Oh wow... is that red the final state of those walls? It almost looks like some kind of vapour barrier but it doesn't have the requisite branding that you would usually see.

Yeah, I agree. If this is its finished state that is just plain butt-ugly...
It is the final state as far as anyone knows... I guess more motivation to see the "bunker" developed?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:22 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I assure you it's the final cladding. I have been preaching for years that our blank wall policy would lead to this. Now what to do...nothing, the damage is done and you might see dozens more just like it in the downtown.

I have been saying that under no circumstance should a blank wall be permitted. Either set back the building to allow for windows or construct a wall with FAKE windows. Hopefully this wall will be the determining factor for a policy change. This same application happened on the south side of the building beside the Roy a few years ago, and guess what...no one noticed. I call for the siding to be removed.
Really good points... I had hoped it was glass that would wrap around.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
It is the final state as far as anyone knows... I guess more motivation to see the "bunker" developed?
Yes, except the only real motivation that will make that happen is a good business case and the potential for profit. Hopefully that will be enough.

We will all have to live with it, regrettably, unless something is changed.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:38 AM

I like the red cladding. It's a constant reminder of the lunancy of many planning regulations. While the discussion focuses on directing the developer or architect on how/where to place their awning, this happens. Amazing. I like the boldness of the developer to use red cladding to cut through the fog and not something that would blend in. Ballsy.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:07 AM
Honored Member

The red cladding might not have been so bad if it was a flat composite panel, but this looks like stretch wrap on a skip of boxes.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:19 AM

Holy shit. What is that Red wall all about?

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:41 AM

Wait a couple of years and the wall won't be visible.
The adjacent block will be one large development by Lawen (Maxwell Properties) who wanted to buy the property but lost out to Mosaik and then sued Mosaik for encroaching on the adjacent property.
This part is quite funny : " The defendants make a general denial of the allegations. In their defence, they state that the plaintiff wanted to buy the property that is now the site of the Dillon in order to forestall the project. They also claim that there was an arrangement between the individual defendant, George Giannoulis, and the plaintiff’s president, John Lawen, to resolve the dispute over the alleged airspace trespass by means of a charitable donation by Mr. Giannoulis to Mr. Lawen’s church. "

See here :http://www.courts.ns.ca/Decisions_Of...2017nsca37.pdf

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 8:48 AM

It doesn't look consistent with what's in the documents submitted to the Design Review committee, does it? One of the points there states that "Materials used for the front façade should be carried around the building where any facades are exposed to public view at the side or rear.", and the renderings differ from what's there.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:24 PM

Inspired by my avatar no doubt

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 5:06 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Inspired by my avatar no doubt
lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth