HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:44 PM

Good Day.

Yep...it is.

At 07:21 this AM they positioned 3 excavators at the northwest, northeast, and southeast corners of the southern deck for about 30 minutes, I think in order to horse the angle alignment of the deck into the final half-inch of exact.
They were finished before 08:20, when the northern deck was again in motion.

Still Looking Good ! (jinx notwithstanding !)

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Seeing how built up the surrounding area is, I can no longer imagine how M.T.O. would have done this with heavy traffic.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Seeing how built up the surrounding area is, I can no longer imagine how M.T.O. would have done this with heavy traffic.
Well the traditional way would be to close 2 lanes in each direction, rebuild that section of bridge, then close the other 2 lanes, shift traffic onto the new bridge and then complete the other half of the work. The difference is the trade off of having lane closures for 2 years or a whole-highway closure for a few days.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/que...F4xPsr4s35oq_A

Uh oh... Queensway may not be reopened by 6 a.m. tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/que...F4xPsr4s35oq_A

Uh oh... Queensway may not be reopened by 6 a.m. tomorrow.
I wanted to post about this earlier, but didn't want to come off as negative. They have a fair bit of work left getting the subgrade finished up on each side. It looks like they moved ahead and paved the bridge, which I'm guessing was not the plan to do separately. There's got to be 2 or 3 lifts of asphalt to do, plus pavement markings and concrete barriers after that. It's going to be close for sure.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 1:21 AM

Interesting to watch. We are having this done to a railway bridge in London in the next couple years. Will be cool to see done.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

By golly they are trying hard to get it done...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:08 AM

Camera 1 didn't work for me all day today which was very annoying. Its just after midnight now and there's a real flurry of activity. I believe they can get this done in 6 hours if they really motor. I mean look how much work they've done in a couple days. This is just finishing touches.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:35 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:44 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'Unforeseen challenges' replacing bridges delays Queensway reopening

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jul 06, 2020 • Last Updated 53 minutes ago • 1 minute read

A four-kilometre section of the Queensway closed since Thursday evening to replace bridges over the O-Train and Canadian Pacific Railway tracks will not reopen in time for the Monday morning commute.

The stretch of Highway 417 between Bronson and Carling avenues had been expected to open by 6 a.m. but although the new bridges were in place Sunday evening, “unforeseen challenges” meant the highway will still be closed, the Ministry of Transportation advised.

Detours for both the east- and west-bound lanes remained in effect, shuttling westbound traffic off the highway at Bronson and returning it to the 417 on the Carling Avenue on-ramp.

Eastbound traffic was directed to exit at the Carling/Kirkwood exit, rejoining the highway at Metcalfe Street.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-76e4eff5c59e/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:44 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:30 PM

I predict that they have now planned for a Tuesday morning opening. No sense rushing things and get it all done right by tonight.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I predict that they have now planned for a Tuesday morning opening. No sense rushing things and get it all done right by tonight.
I would wager that there are "fines" built into the contract that outline for every X minutes the highway is not open after 6 am, you will be fined $X amount.

So my guess is they will still be trying to get the highway open as soon as possible.

Let's remember this was planned pre-covid. Imagine if this was a normal Monday morning. That's why I think the contract would have outlined monetary stipulations regarding the opening

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Paving is almost complete, centreline barriers are now being installed and lines are painted. It looks like they want it open before the afternoon rush.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 5:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Queensway closure continues with paving delay

Megan Gillis, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jul 06, 2020 • Last Updated 18 minutes ago • 5 minute read

The Queensway remained closed between Carling and Bronson avenues Monday morning as crews finish paving the new bridges over the CPR and O-Train Trillium Line that were installed in a weekend.

The closure started Thursday evening and was supposed to wrap up at 6 a.m. Monday.

City hall was told that the new bridges are in place but there were “unforseen challenges” over the weekend and that the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario’s contractor is “working hard” to get it done.

The Ottawa Paramedic Service warned that it affects access to the Civic Campus of The Ottawa Hospital and the University of Ottawa Heart Institute in case of emergency.

There’s a livestream to watch the project unfold from a birds-eye view.

The new single-span bridges are shorter to give the City of Ottawa room to for the O-Train track, a future twinned railway track, the existing Trillium multi-use pathway on the east side of the tracks and potential for a future MUP on the west side.

A total of eight drivers have now been charged with driving on the closed section of the Queensway, the OPP said. The ticket will cost them $110 and three demerit points.

Westbound traffic must exit the highway at Bronson Avenue and follow a signed detour:
  • Continue westbound on Catherine Street
  • Continue onto Raymond Street
  • Turn left on Booth Street
  • Turn right on Carling Avenue
  • Take Highway 417 westbound on-ramp from Carling Avenue

Eastbound motorists must exit the highway at Carling and Kirkwood avenues and follow the detour:
  • Continue eastbound on Carling Avenue
  • Turn left on Bronson Avenue
  • Turn right on Chamberlain Avenue
  • Continue onto Isabella Street
  • Take Highway 417 eastbound on-ramp at Metcalfe Street

Orangeville Street will also be closed between Rochester Street and Booth Street during the Queensway closure.

Meanwhile, expect eight-minute waits on O-Train Line 1 as the city is allowing the contractors to only run seven trains on the 12.5-kilometre line while they investigate the cause of wheel defects discovered on three single train cars.

Until the cause is identified, Alstom and Rideau Transit Maintenance will be inspecting each wheel on every train each time the vehicle is used in service.

An eighth train will be available as a “hot spare” in case one of the seven in-service trains malfunctions.

Ridership is still low because of COVID-19 closures, which is why the city authorized the smaller train count for daily service while the contractor investigates the wheel defects.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-2336709aca46/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 5:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

They're hosing it down again. Still too hot to paint the lines?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:36 PM

Its 3:35pm. The lines are almost all painted and it seems like they just have one section of the cement barrier in the centre to install, which they've just started working on.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:47 PM

Does the asphalt have to come down to a certain temperature before allowing traffic? Would be difficult with the hot hot day.

Otherwise lines are in, centre median going in now, and maybe more barricades on the north side are needed? Cross your fingers, because this traffic is baaaad.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Still not open. Looks like they may still be missing some barricades in the median.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Woah it looks beautiful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation