HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 10:22 AM
eltodesukane eltodesukane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 695
An interesting documentary about the environment,
especially green energy, wind and solar.
Planet of the Humans (2019) (Director: Jeff Gibbs)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12192654/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 2:18 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 10,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
An interesting documentary about the environment,
especially green energy, wind and solar.
Planet of the Humans (2019) (Director: Jeff Gibbs)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12192654/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE
It's a Michael Moore film (Roger & Me, Bowling for Columbine, Sicko...)

Planned theatre release was in May, but with Covid-19, they decided to post it on Youtube and make it universally accessible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 4:04 AM
zzptichka zzptichka is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,020
Gatineau #1 Station (12 MW). Looks like finished refurbishing.



Hull #2 Station (27 MW) being refurbished.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 12:13 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
An interesting documentary about the environment,
especially green energy, wind and solar.
Planet of the Humans (2019) (Director: Jeff Gibbs)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12192654/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's a Michael Moore film (Roger & Me, Bowling for Columbine, Sicko...)

Planned theatre release was in May, but with Covid-19, they decided to post it on Youtube and make it universally accessible.
It's a terrible movie that is full of holes with plenty of scientists speaking out about it.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/john-rogers/...s-misdirection

I genuinely regret wasting my time on it. I was making a list of everything wrong in there while watching it. In the end, it's not about climate change or corruption in the environmental movement. It's a Malthusian argument for population controls under the guise of concern for climate change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:03 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 10,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's a terrible movie that is full of holes with plenty of scientists speaking out about it.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/john-rogers/...s-misdirection

I genuinely regret wasting my time on it. I was making a list of everything wrong in there while watching it. In the end, it's not about climate change or corruption in the environmental movement. It's a Malthusian argument for population controls under the guise of concern for climate change.
Michael Moore was on Stephen Colbert just before the movie was released talking about it, saying everyone should watch it, they made it free to maximize viewership and that although it seems depressing, there's a glimmer of hope at the end.

We actually watched it about a week after my post. First off, Michael Moore isn't even in it, so there is no comedic edge to break the depressive tone. The movie criticizes solar and wind power (which is fair in many cases) for the first third of the movie and then moves on to biomass power, and I agree that's arguably the worst form of power generation, destroying countless hectors of living, breathing forests with diesel powered machines just to burn the trees to produce electricity. How in the hell can anyone think that's a good idea?

And in all of that, I did not get the glimmer of hope Moore spoke about. They didn't offer any alternatives. Nothing about hydro electricity. Nuclear was mentioned once with a negative connotation. Neither of those are perfect, but pollution and\or environmental damage is at least localized.

The movie exposes more dumb, corrupt shit happening in the U.S. but it lacks balance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:18 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We actually watched it about a week after my post. First off, Michael Moore isn't even in it, so there is no comedic edge to break the depressive tone. The movie criticizes solar and wind power (which is fair in many cases) for the first third of the movie and then moves on to biomass power, and I agree that's arguably the worst form of power generation, destroying countless hectors of living, breathing forests with diesel powered machines just to burn the trees to produce electricity. How in the hell can anyone think that's a good idea?
I suggested you read the link I posted. His "facts" on solar were total bullshit. Figures that were well over a decade out of date and/or totally made up. On biomass... He's talking about climate change but doesn't seem to understand the carbon cycle or net emissions accounting? That is straight up ignorance.

There's also the tired strawman arguments that any alternative technology should be free of any industrial waste. All in a buildup to the ultimate conclusion that the real problem is too many humans. Falling in line with a long tradition of white western environmentalists complaining about the surplus population and being sympathetic to white supremacists. Google the Sierra Club's support for eugenics.

There's scientists who are now so pissed at it, they are calling for it to be taken down. And I agree with them. The fact that so many oil & gas proponents are cheering this on should tell you all need to know...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:32 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 10,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I suggested you read the link I posted. His "facts" on solar were total bullshit. Figures that were well over a decade out of date and/or totally made up. On biomass... He's talking about climate change but doesn't seem to understand the carbon cycle or net emissions accounting? That is straight up ignorance.

There's also the tired strawman arguments that any alternative technology should be free of any industrial waste. All in a buildup to the ultimate conclusion that the real problem is too many humans. Falling in line with a long tradition of white western environmentalists complaining about the surplus population. Google the Sierra Club's support for eugenics.

There's scientists who are now so pissed at it, they are calling for it to be taken down. And I agree with them.
I read the link. I'm sure newer solar panels are much more efficient than the numbers he quoted in the movie and I knew his 10 year life cycle was off as I was watching the movie. For biomass, I don't see any reasonable argument for it, so I take no issue with the movie on that. Even the article you quoted doesn't have anything on that aspect.

It's obviously impossible to produce energy without any sort of waste and the movie doesn't even try to explore what energy alternatives might be better for the environment on any level (waste, emissions, local impact...)

Anyway you look at it though, humans are the problem. No other species decimates the planet like we do. Humans need to stop focusing on the economy and place resources in saving the environment, and that means sustainable energy and reducing waste drastically (with the goal of eliminating waste completely).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:57 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For biomass, I don't see any reasonable argument for it, so I take no issue with the movie on that. Even the article you quoted doesn't have anything on that aspect.
The article didn't go into it. But I'll call it out. It's almost as ignorant as the solar stuff. There's lifecycle emissions accounting and we just how much biomass adds. It's orders of magnitude closer to carbon neutral than say an oil, gas or coal power plant. It's not perfect. But then again, there's no magic bullet for renewable power. Storing wind and solar power overnight requires a massive carbon investment in batteries and much higher initial investment at further latitudes from the Equator. The only applicable critique to biomass was from the perspective of forest management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Anyway you look at it though, humans are the prob
The fundamental problem with this being the core of an environmental discussion is that you have to inevitably discuss which humans. The Earth could support 10+ billion if the ecological footprint of those residents was that of an Indian. Can only support 2 billion if the ecological footprint of those residents was on par with the average American.

A vegetarian urban dweller in India has a very different footprint than a suburban dwelling American. Leaving that uncomfortable fact unmentioned provides the cover for all the bigots and those who want to excuse inaction, to blame the masses of the developing world for climate change when most of the carbon in the atmosphere today has been emitted by the developed world. Moore should have known better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 3:41 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 10,816
From Jon Willing:

Quote:
Council is hearing the annual update from Hydro Ottawa, which is delivering a $22.6M dividend this year to city hall. #ottpoli
Quote:
The utility, it seems, was ahead of most other orgs when it comes to reaction to the COVID-19 pandemic. It already activated its pandemic plan in late January.
Quote:
Interesting little tidbit from hydro chair Jim Durrell on the annual question of Hydro Ottawa acquiring Ottawa-based Hydro One customers. Still no, but the discussions that were happening a few years ago contemplated an acquisition of customers through Hawkesbury to Kingston.
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...94981907767296

I'm always highly impressed with Hydro Ottawa. Very organized. Ahead of the curve, even with a pandemic most shrugged off until the very last minute. And their efforts to try and purchase more Hydro One customers could mean further dividends to the City in the future. I do hope they can purchase more customers within the Ottawa city limits.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.