HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
When I first got out of GA Tech in 1985 my first job was with General Dynamics Electric Boat Division in Groton. I shared a rented house with three other EB employees across the river in Waterford. Having spent my grade school years in that part of the country nothing seemed special to me. Pretty much every weekend we'd hit the road for either Boston or NYC for diversion. I only lasted 16 months there because I needed top secret security clearances for my job and, being gay, the process was dragging on and on and on so long it became untenable and I bailed and came back to Atlanta.
I grew up in Connecticut. I maintain the state is awful, and unless I could live in New Haven, you couldn't pay me to move back.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 2:02 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I grew up in Connecticut. I maintain the state is awful, and unless I could live in New Haven, you couldn't pay me to move back.
I lived in Trumbull for four years when I was in grade school, then the brief stint at Groton. I was born in Philadelphia, but also lived in Johnstown NY (5th and 6th grades) and Rochester NY (11th grade), and Erie PA (12th grade). Other than those times, it's been Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 2:15 PM

Quote:
I lived in Trumbull for four years when I was in grade school, then the brief stint at Groton. I was born in Philadelphia, but also lived in Johnstown NY (5th and 6th grades) and Rochester NY (11th grade), and Erie PA (12th grade). Other than those times, it's been Atlanta.
Small world, I lived in Trumbull from 2nd grade all the way through till the end of high school.

In another coincidence, my family is also from Philly (although I was born in Bucks County).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 2:21 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Small world, I lived in Trumbull from 2nd grade all the way through till the end of high school.

In another coincidence, my family is also from Philly (although I was born in Bucks County).
Wow! We lived on North Street just off Shelton Road from 1971 to 1974 (I'm 57). I went to 1st grade at Nichols School on Huntington Turnpike and 2nd through 4th grades at Booth Hill School on Booth Hill Road. I was born in West Chester, PA (Chester County).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
I think CT is one of the two or three best states, and would happily live there. Pound-for-pound, arguably the nicest state overall.

Almost entirely pretty, extremely prosperous, and great built environment for U.S. standards. Very little typical U.S. sprawl, with few of the giant cookie-cutter subdivisions and big box megacenters. There's no better place to have "country living" with nearby urban amenities.

If we ever get a weekend place (which I doubt because I don't want the hassle of owning two homes), it would probably be somewhere between New Haven and the RI state line, or maybe slightly into RI.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Well I think CT is one of the two or three best states, and would happily live there. Pound-for-pound, arguably the nicest state overall. Almost entirely pretty, extremely prosperous, and great built environment for U.S. standards. There's no better place to have "country living" with nearby urban amenities.

If we ever get a weekend place (which I doubt because I don't want the hassle of owning two homes), it would probably be somewhere between New Haven and the RI state line, or maybe slightly into RI.
Small town CT is very nice, the cities...meh. I loved Mystic (near your desired location) but also really liked New Canaan.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Small town CT is very nice, the cities...meh. I loved Mystic (near your desired location) but also really liked New Canaan.
Right, I'm speaking about CT in the context of a weekend home, and contrast to urban living. CT is loaded with quaint towns and landscapes. The urban parts of CT are just extensions of NYC or the Hartford area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Wow! We lived on North Street just off Shelton Road from 1971 to 1974 (I'm 57). I went to 1st grade at Nichols School on Huntington Turnpike and 2nd through 4th grades at Booth Hill School on Booth Hill Road. I was born in West Chester, PA (Chester County).
I'm a bit younger than you, at 41. Grew up on Main Street about a mile north of the mall. Went to Middlebrook for elementary, but I knew kids who went to both Nichols and Booth Hill.

Quote:
I think CT is one of the two or three best states, and would happily live there. Pound-for-pound, arguably the nicest state overall.

Almost entirely pretty, extremely prosperous, and great built environment for U.S. standards. Very little typical U.S. sprawl, with few of the giant cookie-cutter subdivisions and big box megacenters. There's no better place to have "country living" with nearby urban amenities.

I feel like it was an awful place to grow up TBH. My town had almost no sidewalks, and there was nothing to walk to within a mile of my home. I didn't drive until I was 19, so I was stranded at home a lot when I couldn't beg a ride from friends. And we mostly just hung out in diners or at Dunkin Donuts when we didn't take the train into the city to see a concert.

I presume you're talking about places like Madison. I just think of this as an ugly built form. Wide streets, gaps between buildings, short buildings, angled parking, etc.

Something like Jim Thorpe, Bisbee, or Galena is much more attractive from a small town perspective. But I would need a house less than a 10-minute walk from the main drag.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 5:58 PM

Madison is a very attractive town, IMO. Branford and Guilford are quite nice too.

We especially like Stonington, which has very narrow streets and lots of walkable charm:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3338...7i16384!8i8192

But ultimately the attraction is the quiet, semi-rural feel, and the shore, not the urbanity. We would want a house in the woods, or with waterfront.

Rural America tends to be kinda downtrodden and reactionary, but rural New England (and you can probably also include the Hudson Valley) is culturally very comfortable for city dwellers. You can live in pretty deep woods but there are real restaurants and services in proximity.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 8:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Madison is a very attractive town, IMO. Branford and Guilford are quite nice too.

We especially like Stonington, which has very narrow streets and lots of walkable charm:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3338...7i16384!8i8192

But ultimately the attraction is the quiet, semi-rural feel, and the shore, not the urbanity. We would want a house in the woods, or with waterfront.

Rural America tends to be kinda downtrodden and reactionary, but rural New England (and you can probably also include the Hudson Valley) is culturally very comfortable for city dwellers. You can live in pretty deep woods but there are real restaurants and services in proximity.
Stonington is a great little town. Eastern/ western CT very different vibes. Not just because of New York but the further east you get, the architecture vernacular changes. I've always been partial to RI for this reason.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Stonington is a great little town. Eastern/ western CT very different vibes. Not just because of New York but the further east you get, the architecture vernacular changes. I've always been partial to RI for this reason.
Something like this looks like a very attractive place to live, though I'm pretty sure that's not what Crawford is talking about.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions