HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:44 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^Would be better if it went directly to Union Station rather than a Metrolink station in Rancho Cucamonga, but it is what it is.
Wouldn't people likely just end up driving the whole way then? It'd be interesting to see if there would end up being any time savings depending on which part of LA you're driving from.

If someone lives in Ktown, it would take 4 hrs and 16 min currently to reach the Bellagio by driving.

If they decide to take Brightline, it would take 1 hr and 3 min to get to the Rancho Cucamonga station by driving, another 2 hrs and 10 min to get to the Las Vegas station, and then another 16 min by car to get to the Bellagio, for a total of 3 hrs and 29 min. Or if they decide to use transit only, it would take 1 hr and 44 min by D Line and Metrolink San Bernardino Line to get to Rancho Cucamonga, resulting in a total trip time of 4 hrs and 10 min, and that's assuming instantaneous transfers.

Last edited by homebucket; Yesterday at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

Look at how hilly the clip of the median is that is shown in this video. They're going to have to do a lot of retaining wall construction in the median to ease the grades. And still no word on how this thing is going to o 200mph around corners designed for 80mph.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
And still no word on how this thing is going to o 200mph around corners designed for 80mph.
Extremely banked curves for the rail line, combined with leaning technology on the trains?

I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Wouldn't people likely just end up driving the whole way then? It'd be interesting to see if there would end up being any time savings depending on which part of LA you're driving from.

If someone lives in Ktown, it would take 4 hrs and 16 min currently to reach the Bellagio by driving.

If they decide to take Brightline, it would take 1 hr and 3 min to get to the Rancho Cucamonga station by driving, another 2 hrs and 10 min to get to the Las Vegas station, and then another 16 min by car to get to the Bellagio, for a total of 3 hrs and 29 min. Or if they decide to use transit only, it would take 1 hr and 44 min by D Line and Metrolink San Bernardino Line to get to Rancho Cucamonga, resulting in a total trip time of 4 hrs and 10 min, and that's assuming instantaneous transfers.
I believe the thesis is that the 4hr and 16 min drive time is subject to uncertainty if there are accidents or traffic build up, whereas the the train will deliver consistent times. Also, driving has a level of stress associated with it, whereas the train will be relaxing and offer food, drinks, WiFi, restrooms... etc...

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:26 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I believe the thesis is that the 4hr and 16 min drive time is subject to uncertainty if there are accidents or traffic build up, whereas the the train will deliver consistent times. Also, driving has a level of stress associated with it, whereas the train will be relaxing and offer food, drinks, WiFi, restrooms... etc...
Certainly, there are advantages to taking the train vs driving. The drive time is also likely much higher during peak driving times.

It'll just be interesting to see just how many will decide to drive to Rancho Cucamonga, park, and take the train vs drive the whole way. For those that live near Rancho, I'm guessing the decision will be easy, provided tickets aren't too expensive. The further you are away, the less likely you'd probably use it, like folks that live in Santa Monica, Torrance, or Irvine.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:31 PM

Quote:
^Would be better if it went directly to Union Station rather than a Metrolink station in Rancho Cucamonga, but it is what it is.
I agree. The station around 43 miles east of dtla means a big part of the economy of LA will be less helped by the train than the economy of vegas.

I'm putting this in the LA metro transit thread since the brightline train in certain ways may have as much impact on LA as the subway between dtla & westwood will have. however, a lot of hotel & convention business is now going to vegas instead of LA & OC, so easier access to the desert may be more one way traffic than two way. But a lot of tourists & convention visitors now going to Vegas may be lured into also visiting socal if an easier direct transit line is available. But that would be likelier if the brightline station in SoCal were in dtla instead of san bernardino...

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Certainly, there are advantages to taking the train vs driving. The drive time is also likely much higher during peak driving times.

It'll just be interesting to see just how many will decide to drive to Rancho Cucamonga, park, and take the train vs drive the whole way. For those that live near Rancho, I'm guessing the decision will be easy, provided tickets aren't too expensive. The further you are away, the less likely you'd probably use it, like folks that live in Santa Monica, Torrance, or Irvine.
For those of us that live in the South Bay, it's also a pretty compelling option to just go to LAX and hop on a Southwest flight to LV. Or, for those in SFV, to do the same from Burbank. Agree that Brightline probably appeals mostly to those that live east of LA or up in the Antelope Valley... which is still a whole lot of people

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:15 PM

Quote:
No doubt there is the risk of insufficient ridership on this new railroad.

Even if Brightline eventually serves Union Station, which is a big "if," Vegas-bound locals in far-flung parts of the metropolis may still avoid driving downtown, paying for parking, and then paying for multiple train tickets. One thing that Union Station has in its favor: it is more Uber-able for more locals than RC is.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Yeah, not necessarily a huge problem in LA considering it's a fairly decentralized area but hopefully there are strong transit connections. Anyone know how frequently the commuter rail will connect to it?

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:50 PM

Why is no one talking about the fact that RC is connected to DTLA Union Station by Metrolink? That trip takes about an hour and 15 mins, and assuming you could get a Brightline train without having to wait too long, it would still compete favorably with driving even with little traffic. And I have been in insane traffic coming back from Vegas before, which made the trip take 7 hours! I'd absolutely favor taking a train there over driving.

Aside from time considerations, taking the train also can be cost competitive with driving, especially given the very high cost of parking at most Vegas hotels, and the fact that California has the highest gas prices in the country. I think Brightline West will be a huge success.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:53 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yeah, not necessarily a huge problem in LA considering it's a fairly decentralized area but hopefully there are strong transit connections. Anyone know how frequently the commuter rail will connect to it?
RC is also located where I imagine most people from the LA basin would be driving past to get to Vegas anyway. It's conceivable they could capture some walk in riders (not booked ahead of time) if they see that there are massive delays somewhere on the 15 between Victorville and Vegas. They could just pull up to the station and take the next train.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Right? It’s absurd. The areas the HRT serves are where the ridership’s at. Why not simply automate the damn thing and provide 5-minute headways throughout the day? The jobs of a few dozen train operators should not come at the expense of tends of thousands more riders.
Because California politics are controlled by unions, who are against automation. Automating our heavy rail system is a no-brainer, but politics won't let it happen.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:37 PM

Quote:

The only incentive at that point would be avoiding the unknown of traffic and accidents, which happen often on the 15 and can add hours to the drive

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Why is no one talking about the fact that RC is connected to DTLA Union Station by Metrolink? That trip takes about an hour and 15 mins, and assuming you could get a Brightline train without having to wait too long, it would still compete favorably with driving even with little traffic. And I have been in insane traffic coming back from Vegas before, which made the trip take 7 hours! I'd absolutely favor taking a train there over driving.

Aside from time considerations, taking the train also can be cost competitive with driving, especially given the very high cost of parking at most Vegas hotels, and the fact that California has the highest gas prices in the country. I think Brightline West will be a huge success.
The traffic and uncertainty is definitely working in Brightlines favor, but i do wish that they are able to either extend directly to Union Station or upgrade the Metrolink to US so that the hour 15 is significantly shorter.

In regards to parking in Vegas hotels, its free if you have any kind of players card for most hotels again. For the most part, the hotels reversed course after a couple of years of high parking prices.

One negative of not having your own car is the lack of flexibility though. I'm someone that likes to add stops to a trip and i've gone to Utah, Grand Canyon and Death Valley from Vegas spontaneously just over the last few years.

Old Posted Today, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I think that will require Metrolink San Bernardino line to be electrified. It is in the long range plan to be paid for by CAHSR.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation