HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I would bet that many in Moncton will chafe against it either way if it seems to represent the broader region. I'm not say that as criticism of Moncton, but just a practical reality for whatever it is worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Not seeing that at all.
Well, speaking as a Monctonian, it does matter a bit.

Calling the team the "Maritime" this or the "Atlantic" that might be a symbol of inclusiveness and solidarity but, depending on how it is handled, could be interpreted as being nothing more than lip service.

If the team is the "Atlantic Schooners", but you never see any of the players further afield than Waverley or Windsor, then the name is semi-insulting - it becomes a symbol of Halifax hegemony and that, as far as Haligonians are concerned, there is nothing meaningful or worthwhile in the broader region outside the limits of the HRM. You might as well call a spade a spade in such a circumstance and name the team the Halifax Citadels or whatever.

If you want to give the team a regional name then by God make it a regional team. Have player outreach programs from Edmundston to Sydney to St. John's, have pep rallies in Charlottetown, stage a training camp in Moncton. These things are meaningful.

The New England Patriots are a model to follow in some ways. They consider the Maritimes as part of their territory. About 5-6 years ago, they had some sort of high school contest (the particulars of which I forget), but the Miramichi Regional High School won and they sent Rob Gronkowski up the MRHS for the day to speak at an assembly, hang around with the kids, sign autographs and toss the ball around. This sort of outreach has an impact. This is what I'm talking about........

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:00 PM
BANNED

Anthony Leblanc is behind this? You mean the inept clown that was involved in the Phoenix Coyotes fiasco?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:43 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Calling the team the "Maritime" this or the "Atlantic" that might be a symbol of inclusiveness and solidarity but, depending on how it is handled, could be interpreted as being nothing more than lip service.
Fair point

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:01 PM

All good points regarding the regionalism focus, but keep in mind that we are talking CFL budgets here, where players are lucky to make $50K a year. It is very unlikely that there will be much money to be able to afford extensive outreach to far-flung places in the wilds of the New Brunswick wilderness.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:06 PM
arf

^Lol. Moncton is about the same distance as Saskatoon from Regina and the Roughriders hold training camp in Saskatoon quite often. The last three years if I am not mistaken. They even held it in Saskatoon last year when the new stadium was available. I thought they would have done it in Regina to give non-season ticket holders a better chance to see the stadium and people in it.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:36 PM
Rational urbanist

The BC Lions hold training camp annually in Kamloops, but that's about the entire extent of their "BC" marketing strategy. If a Halifax team follows that at least it would have precedent.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Courtesy of DeAdder (a good Riverview boy)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:58 PM

https://twitter.com/MaritimeFtball

MaritimeFootball.ca

Quote:
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/31/mariti...ount-activate/

MARITIME FOOTBALL TWITTER ACCOUNT… ACTIVATE!
ROBBIE ABRAHAMSON

As you may have heard yesterday, Commissioner Randy Ambrosie is heading on a #CFLRoadTrip where he’ll be stopping in the 9 CFL markets.

AND HALIFAX!

Back in November of 2017, it was confirmed that discussions had taken place regarding a 10th CFL team in Halifax.

The following statement was released:

“We can confirm the CFL has had discussions with a group interested in securing a Canadian Football League franchise for the city of Halifax. While this group has been professional, enthusiastic and impressive, these conversations are relatively new and a very thorough process of due diligence must be put in place and completed before we can fully assess the viability of the project. We want to publicly thank this group for its passion for the CFL and we thank the members of the media for their interest.”

The group making the bid known as “Maritime Football Limited” has officially taken a spot in the social universe, activating a Twitter Account:

Tweets by MaritimeFtball
Give the account a follow if you want to keep up with any updates and/or progress regarding their bid.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:21 PM

Atlantic Armada definitely the nicest uni's and colour scheme by a long shot. I know the team would be representing Atlantic Canada, but I still would prefer they use the city name as opposed to "atlantic"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:01 PM
arf

What about the Martime Lobsters! Everyone loves Lobster!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Atlantic Armada definitely the nicest uni's and colour scheme by a long shot. I know the team would be representing Atlantic Canada, but I still would prefer they use the city name as opposed to "atlantic"
The thing about uniforms is that any colour scheme could be used for any chosen team name. So yeah, pick the best colour scheme and team name independently.

I too would still prefer Halifax, if it's based in Halifax. If it were in Moncton, then I would prefer it be named "The Moncton (team name of choice)s".

But, Atlantic is a good second choice, I guess.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What about the Martime Lobsters! Everyone loves Lobster!
Except I'm not sure if a football team would like to be named after something that's caught in a trap, placed in a pot of boiling water while still alive, and eaten...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:55 AM

Coming from someone from Fredericton. I would have to say Moncton is the better candidate for a team. It's not about size. It's about the entire region you are able to draw from.
Reasons:

Halifax

Experience: None

Stadium will never be built.

Though, If I had to name a team from Halifax I would call them New Scotland Highlanders Akin to the New England Patriots.

Moncton

Experience: 3 Successful CFL games 18,700 avg. per game. Fifa Women's World Cup drawed 6,000 for a Ivory Coast vs Norway Match.

Stadium ready (Needs to be upgraded).

Last edited by Harrijo; Feb 1, 2018 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:37 PM

I can't agree with that assessment. You're banking on everyone from the region to make 9 trips to Moncton a season. It may work in Saskatchewan, but I really do feel like that's an exception to the rule. It's easy to sell out 18k tickets to a game in Moncton when it's the only game in the region for the entire year, it'd be a stretch to assume that the same will happen for 9 games. If these Atlantic pre-season games were held in Halifax, they'd also sell 18k tickets.

There are too many unknown as to whether a regional model would work well enough to roll with Moncton as the host city. It's a much safer option to place the team in the city with the larger population centre and draw a majority of its ticket sales from them.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 4:32 PM

I think Moncton could sell 9 games per year pretty easily. People would be even more invested if it was their own team. Moncton current pop. is 70,000 Metro 150,000 and is accessible to 1.5 million people within 2.5 hour drive which is more than Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.

I have lived in Halifax. The locals attitude towards a new stadium will ensure it never gets built.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrijo View Post
I think Moncton could sell 9 games per year pretty easily. People would be even more invested if it was their own team. Moncton current pop. is 70,000 Metro 150,000 and is accessible to 1.5 million people within 2.5 hour drive which is more than Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.

I have lived in Halifax. The locals attitude towards a new stadium will ensure it never gets built.
The CFL made a point in saying a few years ago that if they come to the maritimes Halifax is the only possible option. Moncton is central but deos not have the population base. They would almost have to entirely depend on people coming from other areas of the maritimes and the satadium is not just an upgrade it would have to more than double in size.

Last edited by Haliguy; Feb 1, 2018 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrijo View Post

The population within a 250 km radius of Halifax is close to 1.3 million. Can you count on those extra 200,000 people to fill the seats every home game, or do you go with the city with a central population large enough to already support a team? Ultimately this is a business venture, and one location makes more business sense than the other. As well, there are more opportunities for corporate sponsorships in the HRM over the Greater Moncton Area.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The population within a 250 km radius of Halifax is close to 1.3 million. Can you count on those extra 200,000 people to fill the seats every home game, or do you go with the city with a central population large enough to already support a team?
The CFL's level of interest in Moncton is pretty telling, even though they supposedly have this big advantage of already having a stadium (though as far as I can tell it would cost about as much to get it to CFL standards as it would to build a new one, and the Moncton stadium has a track).

Even in Regina my understanding is that the vast majority of tickets go to locals.

That Moncton number is a little weird in that it includes all of metro Halifax. In the same way, you could argue that Langley is more central than Vancouver or Worcester is more central than Boston. The radius alone isn't what matters, it's a more complicated mix of how many people there are and how likely they are to travel, which itself depends on distances, travel costs, and desirability.

People in the Maritimes like to downplay how important Halifax is, as if it is just one of a bunch of cities and something like a CFL team could easily go wherever. The fact is though that the city grew by about 8,000 people last year while the rest of the Maritimes in total grew by about 2,000. I was looking at commuter data and in Hants County next door, 46% of workers commute to Halifax. Soon it will be a metro of 500,000 in a region that still has around 1.8 million people, and where the next-largest city is less than half as large.

I agree that there's no guarantee a stadium will be built in Halifax, and a potential CFL team there that has everything ready to go except a stadium is maybe 20% of the way there. A CFL-level stadium is much more affordable to Halifax and NS than it is to other cities and provinces in the region though.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:24 PM

I just don't see the possibility of a stadium being built in Halifax.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
People in the Maritimes like to downplay how important Halifax is, as if it is just one of a bunch of cities and something like a CFL team could easily go wherever.
True to a point, but conversely, people in Halifax tend to overinflate the importance of their city in people's consciousness's elsewhere in the region.

In general, the influence of a city tapers off with distance. Influence is highest within about a 90 minute driving distance. Once you get to about a three hour drive, then influence drops off considerably. For this reason, Halifax just isn't that important in the daily lives of most NBers or PEIslanders. When you throw in CB, more than half the regional population lives more than three hours from Halifax. The only other city within three hours of Halifax is Moncton, and that's just barely. For most other Maritimers, Halifax is just a place you visit once or twice a year for a break. NB and PEI are pretty self sufficient most of the time (even for such things as higher end medical services. The only exception being advanced pediatric care at the IWK).

Most of the time Halifax just isn't that relevant to most Maritimers in NB or PEI.

I'm not going to get drawn into the debate over where the team should have gone. That ship has sailed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment