HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 6:28 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:33 PM
Ω

Extell's proposal reminded me of Empire State Plaza in Albany. I think we lucked out with the current design.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:29 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

IMO, the HN.com render would look better with the phase II section mirrored.
That way, the apices of the towers would point towards 30HY.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:38 AM

We need a megatall in haudson yards to finish the projet like a houdson spire

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ that would be nice!

there are supposed to be six residential towers, a school and one office/residential tower, so it could happen that we get a taller building than phase one has.

speaking of this, as the end of phase one is well in sight, has there been any word at all on when phase two starts?

i figured it would be sooner than later, because that is when related starts to make their money back and then the profit $$$.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 6:04 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Whatever happens, the first semi-official tower renders will be interesting.

What we've seen thus far is perhaps 99% architecturally conceptual, although some of the massings IMO indicates a more (NPI) concrete vision.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ that would be nice!

there are supposed to be six residential towers, a school and one office/residential tower, so it could happen that we get a taller building than phase one has.

speaking of this, as the end of phase one is well in sight, has there been any word at all on when phase two starts?

i figured it would be sooner than later, because that is when related starts to make their money back and then the profit $$$.
Would be nice if some of the residentials are like 111 W 57th Street (Steinway), 53W53 (Verre), and 520 Park Avenue. A few that are not primarily blue glass, please!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
^ that would be nice!

That's not supposed to happen. The railyards development was given general guidelines of the taller towers being on the eastern half, and that's understandable. That's why I've always considered the western half to be the "Battery Park City" of this development. But Related has been known to push for exceptions to the site planning and guidelines. If there was significantly more money to be made by pushing towers higher, which I'm not sure there would be at this point, I could see them pushing for it. Remember, this is the half where everything is supposed to pay off for Related.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh i didn't realize there was any agreement about taller on the eastern half and shorter on the western half of the yards.

unfortunately, whatever they do, it will be a sterile battery park north type of area, no helping that. clean and souless, thats what the type of people who will live there want.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It's really a golden opportunity to add a boat load of units. Nowadays, open land in Manhattan is super scarce bar the West side, and thats rapidly changing. 4 mil-sqft of residential is a ton, so it'll be several 1000 units. What I'm wondering is what the average sq ft will be for your typical HY Phase II residential unit? 500-750 sqft for example would be nice.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
oh i didn't realize there was any agreement about taller on the eastern half and shorter on the western half of the yards.
There is no such agreement. There are no pre-set height limits for the western railyards.

We have no idea what will be built, outside of the fact that they have to include a school, there are some affordable housing requirements and it will (probably) be mostly residential.

My guess is that Related won't stop with Phase II. They're too invested in the neighborhood. They'll eventually take the Javits site, the bus garage site or the post office sorting site, or some combination of the three. Those three sites will be the next phases of whatever large-scale plans hit the West Side.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 10:42 PM

I just hope they dump the Frank Gehry building and hire Norman Foster instead.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 1:08 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There is no such agreement. There are no pre-set height limits for the western railyards.

We have no idea what will be built, outside of the fact that they have to include a school, there are some affordable housing requirements and it will (probably) be mostly residential.

My guess is that Related won't stop with Phase II. They're too invested in the neighborhood. They'll eventually take the Javits site, the bus garage site or the post office sorting site, or some combination of the three. Those three sites will be the next phases of whatever large-scale plans hit the West Side.

thats what i thought about the height limits. i dk where nyguy got that general guidelines implication from, maybe he can post something about that?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
I doubt that Related has the money for do all this.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:50 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

They wouldn't be doing it all at once, obviously.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Yes, it was well established in the guidelines that the towers would "slope" with the tallest of the towers being on the western half of the railyards (it's why pretty much all of the proposals had the tallest towers on the east). Now, Related has been able to tinker with the guidelines before, but don't expect anything taller than 30 Hudson to rise here.

Of course this is all generalization, but it's the order things were intended to go, and it's why every render put out by Related shows shorter towers.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:24 AM

Any news on stalled Amtrak tunnel extension founding? I believe Phase 2 platform construction will not start until the tunnel under Hudson Yards West is completed, just like in Phase1.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:12 PM

^ Related, it's been reported that the Gateway funding structure is now dead.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.enr.com/articles/43831-h...hattan-skyline

Quote:
Final work on the eastern platform concludes this year, says Ron Tutor, CEO of Tutor Perini, the contractor on that $700-million effort, and construction manager on the 10 and 15 Hudson Yards towers and on an $80-million maintenance and equipment building. “We faced delays related to not getting work outages we needed from the railroad, but we’re 95% complete, with some electrical, lighting and ventilation work [left to do],” Tutor says of the platform. “We’re trying to finish it this quarter.”

With the eastern platform—covering the area bounded by 10th and 11th avenues from 30th to 33rd streets—all but done, work will begin this year on the western half spanning 11th and 12th avenues between 30th and 33rd streets. The eastern portion alone uses 25,000 tons of steel and 14,000 cu yd of concrete.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 9:41 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.wsj.com/articles/calatra...ers-1518933320

Calatrava and Gehry Among Architects Selected for Hudson Yards Towers
Related Cos. and Oxford Properties Group are behind the 28-acre Hudson Yards development

By Keiko Morris
Feb. 18, 2018

Quote:
Architects Santiago Calatrava and Frank Gehry have been tapped to design residential towers at the massive new development rising on Manhattan’s far West Side, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The two architects are among the designers selected by the joint venture of Related Cos. and Oxford Properties Group, the partnership behind the 28-acre Hudson Yards development, as the team turns its focus to the western, mostly residential portion of the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals