Gotham city is in a boom and will grow dramatically

a lot of construction going on the city

many proposed buildings and districts including a new entertainment district

which will hopefully be approved by city hall

Well here is some pics

i will add updates

Some Construction

bonus

Last edited by Tanster; Feb 25, 2007 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 8:05 PM

nice! lookin good so far! i like the older buildings and newer buildings mixed together...im looking forward to updates!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 8:51 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow, I am certainly impressed! Excellent detail, the buildings meet the ground very nicely, and great roads! And I love the cranes! Keep up the great work!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 9:13 PM

A blast in the past

some old pics of Gotham

The famous "walk in the park" photo

Last edited by Tanster; Feb 25, 2007 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 12:26 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow, vintage! Very nice.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 3:44 AM
Desert Dweller

Not to bring down the party but.

You really need to be creative here, almost all of those textures are from the 3D Warehouse, for example the Woolworth Building is one of the most obvious. I also see parts of my WTC Model in there Also Gotham? I'm sure you can come up with a much more creative name that hasnt already been taken, look: Palm Dunes, City City, Staunton, Neulite, Alex City.

These are just tips, I'm sure eventually your city will turn out to be one of the best ones here

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Not to bring down the party but.

You really need to be creative here, almost all of those textures are from the 3D Warehouse, for example the Woolworth Building is one of the most obvious. I also see parts of my WTC Model in there Also Gotham? I'm sure you can come up with a much more creative name that hasnt already been taken, look: Palm Dunes, City City, Staunton, Neulite, Alex City.

These are just tips, I'm sure eventually your city will turn out to be one of the best ones here

i dont think your very creative making a city thats all most exactly the same as an existing city. Dude Gotham is an imaginary city and how cool is to have it as a model and yes i did copy and past textures but not from 3d warehouse actualy i saved them, like three of them are from 3DWH buts thats because its very hard to find textures. Also how do i make textures???????????????if i knew how to make textures then probably everything would be original.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:13 AM

Live from Gotham City
a thunderstorm

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:42 AM
Desert Dweller

Yes, Staunton is based off of an existing city, I know it dose look too much like New York, but hey, I like it. Palm Dunes has LA in it, City City is a mix of Chicago and Millwakee. But they still turned out great.

Gotham is from Batman, thats not very creative, you really cant come up with a better name? I'm sure your more creative than that. But if you like it, then stick with it, I guess.

I just dont like how you are using other people's textures to use, without their permission I see several of my textures there.

Making Textures has been stated in these fourms several times, how can you have missed it? CGII even gave a detailed list of Instructions, (I think it was in my thread)

Did you see it? I can post it here if you want.

I just was giving you advice, do you want me to stand back and just say "wow" or "cool". It dose get boring after a while.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 7:16 AM

i "copy and past" most of my textures from here
http://www.environment-textures.com/...ngs-Historical
which building has your texture???
i dont know how i could of used your texture.
also can you post the link on how to make textures
sounds like fun????

Last edited by Tanster; Feb 26, 2007 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:47 PM
World Machine

^^^^^^Not for nothing Patrick, but I think your afraid this city will steal thunder from Staunton. You have to let people do their own thing and be creative on their own. Its not your job to police the forum of cityscape.

On a more positive note, love the city tanster, especially the thunder trick. Nice job!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:00 PM
Desert Dweller

Actually I couldnt care less if "Gotham" got more attention than Staunton. I wonder how you miss all my posts in SSP Cityscape encouraging to show more, especially cities that have stopped.

I'm not policeing the fourm, I'm giving him advice which would later benifit his city. Saying "Wow" and "Good Job" just dosnt do the trick.

Tanster, it probably looks like I'm a total ass for attacking you like that, I was angry, but my main point is that you took other people's textures, without permission, or credit. I was a little too harsh because I cant take plagerisum, it has just happened to many times to me.

In the first pic, behind the Woolworth Building, I can clearly see the black box's textures are from my "World Trade Center & Surroundings" Model. In the 2nd pic, I see another black box (under the glass tower) way to the left uses my textures from the same model. In the 6th pic, the building directly behind, torwards the right, uses my 7WTC textures from my WTC 1.0 model.

You can use them, but with some credit.

Here is the list, exactly as CGII said it, but to Rowbk, who has, mysteriosuly, dissapeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post

Turn on your computer.

Open your web browser. This is most likely Internet Explorer. It may go by a different name, but take some time to find it.

Go to Google.

That's http://www.google.com .

Click on the 'images' tab at http://www.google.com .

Type 'Building' into the query (that's the empty rectangle witht he flashing line).

Click 'Search.'

You will find multiple images to select.

Let's pick this one.

http://www.ihs.nl/photogallery/Build...ilding%202.jpg

Using your photo editing program, select out one face of the building, preferably the side whom says 'IHS.'

Copy this selection of the building.

Paste the copied selection into a new file whose edges just fit the edges of your selection.

Adjust the corners of your selection to fill the canvas.

Save this file in .jpg format.

If you don't understand this much, we've got a problem, and YOU're going to have to do some work on YOUR own to figure out how to do this. It's really quite simple.
But heres a question, any of your buildings have a name yet?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:09 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Patrick,

I agree completely with what you are saying. In all honesty I would've said the same thing, except maybe just not be too blunt about it. HOWEVER, if some people check out your postings specifically on Page 1 of "Palm Dunes - A Google Sketchup City", they'll see that you may sound pretty hypocritical regarding plagerism, not because you did it, but technically foxmtbr did it with the same 3D Warehouse during the start of Palm Dunes, and instead of saying "Hey, you plagerized!" you say "Hey, great work! Keep it up!". Since then I do not know if foxmtbr has asked for permission to continue using them, but I thought I'd kindly throw this out there before someone else slams it in your face like a banana cream pie to a clown.

Anthony

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Actually, Patrick, the term 'Gotham' far predates Batman. It was a nickname for Manhattanized urban areas from the 20's and 30's, though was used as early as 1807.

But it is very wrong to steal textures. Not only those glass boxes, but I see some Battery Park City textures from his WTC model and the Equitable Building textures from it as well. Definately a no no. At least give the guy credit.

Last edited by CGII; Feb 26, 2007 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:55 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Well, at least real estate agencies aren't using your images to sell stuff.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 11:59 PM
World Machine

I do agree however that the Woolworth is a complete rip off.

No hard feelings Patrick.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 12:11 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Patrick,

I agree completely with what you are saying. In all honesty I would've said the same thing, except maybe just not be too blunt about it. HOWEVER, if some people check out your postings specifically on Page 1 of "Palm Dunes - A Google Sketchup City", they'll see that you may sound pretty hypocritical regarding plagerism, not because you did it, but technically foxmtbr did it with the same 3D Warehouse during the start of Palm Dunes, and instead of saying "Hey, you plagerized!" you say "Hey, great work! Keep it up!". Since then I do not know if foxmtbr has asked for permission to continue using them, but I thought I'd kindly throw this out there before someone else slams it in your face like a banana cream pie to a clown.

Anthony
I do not get textures from the 3d warehouse. (The only texture I have ever stolen from there was the seating for my stadium, taken from a Google-uploaded model. I'm sorry, Google!) For all my textures, I do exactly what is explained in CGII's post that has been quoted here, cropping pictures from Google images, or finding textures on there from sites which I have posted before. Now, in Tanster's city, there is one obvious example of a texture which is already used in my city (the tall blue building), but I cannot blame him because it is not my texture, it was taken from a texture site found on Google, so he has every right to use the texture as well.

Now, I believe you guys are talking more about him taking textures from Patrick's NYC models, which, if Patrick made them himself, is wrong, and Tanster should have gotten permission to use them first.

P.S. If you guys ever feel that I am plagarizing or anything, feel free to tell me, I wouldn't want to intrude others' rights.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 12:25 AM

Patrick Please confirm that these are your textures!
I did a close up

I did not try to take your textures (i did not know) i just remeber i copyed and paste most of my textures form that website i listed and this other website in google.
i only got like three textures form 3d warehouse because they where actualy existing buildings. So if those are your texture tell me so i can remove them. I just dont want people thinking that im a texture jacker.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmtbr View Post
I do not get textures from the 3d warehouse. (The only texture I have ever stolen from there was the seating for my stadium, taken from a Google-uploaded model. I'm sorry, Google!) For all my textures, I do exactly what is explained in CGII's post that has been quoted here, cropping pictures from Google images, or finding textures on there from sites which I have posted before. Now, in Tanster's city, there is one obvious example of a texture which is already used in my city (the tall blue building), but I cannot blame him because it is not my texture, it was taken from a texture site found on Google, so he has every right to use the texture as well.

Now, I believe you guys are talking more about him taking textures from Patrick's NYC models, which, if Patrick made them himself, is wrong, and Tanster should have gotten permission to use them first.

P.S. If you guys ever feel that I am plagarizing or anything, feel free to tell me, I wouldn't want to intrude others' rights.

That so true one building has your texture. Im sorry for now on i will make my textures

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 12:32 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ I'm sorry if it came across that way, I'm not blaming you at all for that texture, it's rightfully yours as much as it is mine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup