Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
How close to being topped out do you think it will be at time of DNC, which is...late July I think next year.
2017 is the ETA at the point.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
How close to being topped out do you think it will be at time of DNC, which is...late July I think next year.
CITC is not expected to be topped out until at least September/October 2016 according to a representative from one of the architecture firms. By comparison the Comcast Center was topped out around the third week of June in 2007. See this link for comparison points of construction: http://www.skyscrapersunset.com/proj...n/comcast.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugatu View Post
was the first comcast tower not ugly enough?
lmfao

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
lmfao
^^Dude pulls a quote from page 1 - so jan 2014, lame! it wasnt funny then or now.

This is a Lord Norman Foster building - respect, son.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 9:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
^^Dude pulls a quote from page 1 - so jan 2014, lame! it wasnt funny then or now.

He forgot to take his meds today. The nurse told me he's normally okay, but when he doesn't take his prescription, he can get a bit silly. Does the darndest things sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

I agree, not funny at all!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:09 PM
resu deretsiger

this building isn't ugly by any means (imo) - that argument i don't understand

i do understand the roof height deal though but that's been done to death

let's wait for the FINISHED product!!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 3:35 PM

ugly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower View Post
this building isn't ugly by any means (imo) - that argument i don't understand

i do understand the roof height deal though but that's been done to death

let's wait for the FINISHED product!!!
When someone writes that a building is ugly, beautiful, impressive, etc. it would be helpful it they were able to describe what it is about a building's design that makes it ugly, beautiful, etc. Without that input I usually just ignore the comment. The fact that they can not articulate what elements of the design are responsible for their assessment tells me they have not or can not "THINK" very deeply about why they "FEEL" the way they do.

If someone is going to write intelligently about architectural design they should first understand the intent of the architect. There are plenty of Google searches that can gather information on how N. Foster was lead to the design he chose for CITC.

I realize some people are not really interested in spending the time and effort to do this so their remarks often just portray ignorance. The UGLY remark is an example of this. I have grown to appreciate the design of the building but at first there were a few things with which I was unhappy. The single set back, for example, seemed sort of abrupt and if he had three triers(base, middle and top) if might have been seemed more appealing. Maybe he(Foster) was following an orthodox modernism with form following function. There are only two functions being expressed in this building, the CITC function and the hotel function. I just use this as an example of how someone could express their dissatisfaction with the design. If people were willing to describe their judgments more fully we could all learn more and have many times a more interesting dialog.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
When someone writes that a building is ugly, beautiful, impressive, etc. it would be helpful it they were able to describe what it is about a building's design that makes it ugly, beautiful, etc. Without that input I usually just ignore the comment. The fact that they can not articulate what elements of the design are responsible for their assessment tells me they have not or can not "THINK" very deeply about why they "FEEL" the way they do.

If someone is going to write intelligently about architectural design they should first understand the intent of the architect. There are plenty of Google searches that can gather information on how N. Foster was lead to the design he chose for CITC.

I realize some people are not really interested in spending the time and effort to do this so their remarks often just portray ignorance. The UGLY remark is an example of this. I have grown to appreciate the design of the building but at first there were a few things with which I was unhappy. The single set back, for example, seemed sort of abrupt and if he had three triers(base, middle and top) if might have been seemed more appealing. Maybe he(Foster) was following an orthodox modernism with form following function. There are only two functions being expressed in this building, the CITC function and the hotel function. I just use this as an example of how someone could express their dissatisfaction with the design. If people were willing to describe their judgments more fully we could all learn more and have many times a more interesting dialog.
I definitely agree with what you're saying with regard to the poster who called the building "ugly." If you're going to call something ugly, at least say why. Truth be told, plenty of people think the CITC is ugly. If you embrace Philadelphia's colonialism east of Broad, its Williamsburg-esque qualities, the CITC probably is ugly.

I have my own personal issues with it. Like those you mention, I think the two-step facade is odd. I also don't care for the superfluous "smokestack" and I think some of the vertical lines make it appear shorter than it is. If you're gonna build the tallest building in Center City, make it look like the tallest. But I'm not an architect, and Norman Foster knows what they're doing. They designed a building to stand out.

And that's what I love about the CITC. It breaks up the monotony of Philadelphia's "downtown." With the exception of Comcast Center, which I don't really think is necessarily exceptional, our city's tallest buildings aren't really all that great. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Liberty 1 and the Verizon Tower. But even those echo more substantial buildings like the Chrysler Building and Rockefeller Center.

The CITC - good or bad, ugly or not - is unique. It would blend well, even stand out, in cities known for skyscrapers: New York, Chicago, even Hong Kong. I hate this phrase, but it's world class. Not just because Norman Foster designed it, but because Norman Foster knows how to design icons.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:00 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Thank you Ralph Roberts, for everything:

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...h_Roberts.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 11:59 AM

I think we really need to wait to see the finished product and from various distances and angles before we make a judgment. If you look at the mock-up in the lot at 19th and Arch, you get a sense of how busy the façade will be visually. One complaint I have about all of the modern glass curtain buildings is the lack of texture. I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised.

I’m not a height crazed person but I agree with Philatonian’s point that if you are going to make it the tallest, then really go for it. The lower roof height is a bit disappointing, I must admit.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:14 PM
resu deretsiger

i think texture will be key with this building - as it seems to be with the majority of fosters projects. the wow factor will come from the quality and appearance of the materials used. it will not look cheap

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 8:40 PM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think we really need to wait to see the finished product and from various distances and angles before we make a judgment. If you look at the mock-up in the lot at 19th and Arch, you get a sense of how busy the façade will be visually. One complaint I have about all of the modern glass curtain buildings is the lack of texture. I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised.

I’m not a height crazed person but I agree with Philatonian’s point that if you are going to make it the tallest, then really go for it. The lower roof height is a bit disappointing, I must admit.
I have a feeling the texture of the CITC is really going to stand out compared to other CC skyscrapers, especially Comcast Centre, which will actually complement the original tower really nicely.

What I'm really eager to see is how the scale of such an imposing building will really feel at this intersection. You can already see differences in the rendering and in reality as to just how close it is to the Sterling. The wide-angle renderings really downplay how visually dense this intersection might end up feeling. I'm not even complaining about that, I think it'll make it pretty bad-a**.

I'm also kind of curious what color the glass will be. Did Comcast put up a sample wall anywhere? In the renderings it looks much darker than the usual blue or silver glass. It's really going to stand out. I like it.

I still think the reason they didn't make the roof as tall or taller than Comcast Center is because they want Comcast Center to be the main focal point from their plaza. That will always be their main building.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower View Post
i think texture will be key with this building - as it seems to be with the majority of fosters projects. the wow factor will come from the quality and appearance of the materials used. it will not look cheap
I agree. And honestly, ever since the last building-boom gave us a few new skyscrapers, developers have really raised the bar over the skyscrapers built in the 80s and 90s. Comcast Center, Cira Centre, the Murano really stand out against the older buildings, and not just because they're newer, but they just look higher quality. I think the CITC is going to raise the bar even higher. Here's hoping Comcast can be the Google-caliber company it fancies itself. We could very well see another building sprout up near Telecom Corner in the next ten years.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I'm also kind of curious what color the glass will be. Did Comcast put up a sample wall anywhere? In the renderings it looks much darker than the usual blue or silver glass. It's really going to stand out. I like it.
The sample wall is on the north end of the parking lot on the north west corner of 19th and Arch. I snapped a photo last fall and forgot I even took it until you asked. Lots of reflections but here it is.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 12:13 PM

I’m not sure if that is an older picture but the mock-up that I last saw was significantly taller and showed the diagonal cross bracing.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 1:04 PM
BANNED

The core is quite visible from 30th street since its well above 1900 Arch at this point.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 1:20 PM

I've had some criticisms of this building but overall I like it. And I tip my hat to that exterior glass coloring scheme and the metal panels. It's very, very sharp and, when placed high up on the skyline against our other big ones, it's really going to stand out.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I’m not sure if that is an older picture but the mock-up that I last saw was significantly taller and showed the diagonal cross bracing.
[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Very dark glass - this behemoth will be dark.

[IMG]IMG_1564 by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1578 by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture