HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They always said "sometimes French words have silent e" but didn't define the purpose. Basically, if there is no e, you typically don't pronounce the final consonant; if there is an e, you pronounce the final consonant but not the e. Petit is "peh tee", petite is "peh teet". They never explained it like that in school. They just treated it the way we treat English, "some words are fucked up, here is how every thing is, remember it". It is weird because they treat every other aspect of the language like it's math.
La pononciation à Gatineau est p'tsee

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 5:58 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I only took French as far as I had to in school (grade 9) despite the fact that I got very high marks and sort of enjoyed it. I even wrote and performed a speech for an extracurricular competition about the movie, "Le Chavalier Noir" in grade 8! I didn't win but it was a cool experience. After grade 9 I was just never able to fit in French with all my other courses. Now that I'm in my final year I'm kind of regretting it. I also regret that I didn't continue learning German, which I had been taking outside of school for many years, since I have family in Germany.

Anyways, here goes. I only used Google Translate a little bit!

En 2008, j'ai visité le ville de Québec pour le 400 anniversaire avec mon famille. Québec est une ville fantastique est très beau! J'aime l'architecture historique, le Château Frontenac, les Plaines d'Abraham et la Chute Montmorency. Le Québec est une belle provence et je veux visiter Montreal!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 6:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This thread is yet another example of how SSP is NOT AT ALL representative of wider Canadian society!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
I am a typical

There is an absurd amount of hatred against French people in Thunder Bay, but in spite of that our Francophone community is thriving. All of the "elites" (well paid civil servants) are putting their kids in the French Catholic system with visions of prominent political futures. They've got a very good education system in spite of the Catholic thing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:50 PM

There's a French community in Thunder bay ? That's hell of a surprise! ... how much are they ?

Last edited by FrAnKs; Aug 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
I am a typical

A thousand or so. It's not a long-established French community, it's more recent. They just started an annual festival earlier this year and it was very successful.

Their schools are a few blocks apart just outside of our north side's downtown core, and they have a community centre at the other end of that downtown but they're going to move it closer to the schools. Many times when I have walked through the neighbourhood these days, I hear more people speaking French than English. It's a nice little area. My high school was located just on the edge of it, I could see their high school from mine when it was being built 8 years ago. They live there because of the elementary school, not the other way around. It was put there in the 1970s I think. They didn't get their own high school until 2004, it has maybe 100 students at a time. Very nice, modern building.

It's one of the few institutional facilities that factored future growth into its construction. Typically, we build things as small as possible and intend to add onto them. Almost everything built by the government here, from hospitals to offices, is too small from day one.

The only French station here is the CBON repeater from Sudbury so the occasional French-language or bilingual ad is played on regular radio, especially during September and February school registration periods.

There are also quite a few bilingual people here, we were chosen by OLS (now called HGS) for a call centre site because of it. 16 bucks an hour to talk on a phone if you know French well enough. I don't.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 12:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so i = E
e = aaa
u = ea? or somthing like that?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
so i = E
e = aaa
u = ea? or somthing like that?
For the i it's ok... but it's a short ''i'' in general ... it's not iiii....

For the e ... it's hard to explain, but it's the same sound you get when you pronounce ''Murder'' ... but the sound you get between the ''M'' and the ''R'' ... like M...e....rder.

and for the u ... think about the word ''Über'' in german... if you know it, it's the same sound.

I hope you understand my examples

Last edited by FrAnKs; Aug 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:01 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There is an absurd amount of hatred against French people in Thunder Bay, but in spite of that our Francophone community is thriving. All of the "elites" (well paid civil servants) are putting their kids in the French Catholic system with visions of prominent political futures. They've got a very good education system in spite of the Catholic thing.
Well that's encouraging. Frankly, its francophone Canada beyond Quebec and New Brunswick that needs strengthening the most. If only all of Canada was linguistically like Moncton or Ottawa!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:04 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pretty much everything that has been typed here except for "mets-en" would work anywhere in the world where people speak French.

What you hear on the streets of Montreal these days is a mish mash of styles of French anyway, from working class French Canadians who speak joual to highly educated French Canadians who speak "Radio-Canada" French, local anglos who speak more rigid textbook-style French, immigrants from France who speak Parisian French, immigrants from Africa who speak international French with their own accents, immigrants from the Middle East who do the same.

Everybody ends up understanding one another and the various styles all rub off on the others a bit, but there is no *single* Montreal French these days.
Ok thanks. I hear non-anglophones picking up English from locals and then have to explain to them that it's not acceptable English in many circles. They say things like 'my bad' in job interviews.

I wouldn't know the difference between French slang and what is acceptable in a professional environment. It's a pitfall of learning a language outside of a classroom.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
I am a typical

"My bad" isn't acceptable English? I hear it all the time. Same with things like "long time no see", which originated with Chinese immigrants.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 3:28 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

"My bad" is the English rendition of "mea culpa."

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Ok thanks. I hear non-anglophones picking up English from locals and then have to explain to them that it's not acceptable English in many circles. They say things like 'my bad' in job interviews.

I wouldn't know the difference between French slang and what is acceptable in a professional environment. It's a pitfall of learning a language outside of a classroom.
Mon amie a enseigné l'anglais au Lac St-Jean. Elle a dû expliquer aux étudiant(e)s que "fucké" n'est pas acceptable dans certaines circonstances

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
For the i it's ok... but it's a short ''i'' in general ... it's not iiii....

For the e ... it's hard to explain, but it's the same sound you get when you pronounce ''Murder'' ... but the sound you get between the ''M'' and the ''R'' ... like M...e....rder.

and for the u ... think about the word ''Über'' in german... if you know it, it's the same sound.

I hope you understand my examples
don't under stand the first one quiet prolly take a few re reads......

uber in german nice try but not helping me much not familiar enough with german a spanish example or ukrainian example would help better txs for trying

i get "merr-der "when i say murder

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

What's the funniest thing anyone learning French has said to you?

My favourite from someone learning English is, "I breakfasted myself."

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

lol! Sounds dirty!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:47 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

The one I find funny when I learned French was the verb 'manquer'.... missing someone you would expect to say 'je te manque'......I've said that to people a few times and got funny looks It feels weird to say 'Tu me manque'

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
don't under stand the first one quiet prolly take a few re reads......

uber in german nice try but not helping me much not familiar enough with german a spanish example or ukrainian example would help better txs for trying

i get "merr-der "when i say murder
The e sound is easy to make. Pronounce it the same way you would pronounce the second e in "enemy"

The u sound is really hard to do, there is no sound like it in english.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

en-nih-me?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 6:09 PM

Quote:
en-nih-me?
Almost like "look" without the l and the k.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada