HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:27 PM

Wow this one is a sleeper-pick! These two alone will significantly refresh the look of the east end of LSE. Hopefully they'll be tall enough to see from Maggie Daley park.

It's especially cool for me to see these go up because my family knew people who had a condo towards the top of the condo building to the south. The view from there was one of my first birds-eye views of Chicago in person circa 1997 (I was in high school). Seeing the golf course and skyline to the West and the ferris wheel of Navy Pier to the northeast, I fell in love with the city.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:40 PM

This project is starting to look quite imposing from the LFT.

Hopefully we have a shot at Parcel I getting in on the action soon. I would love to see 950ft, but realistically post COVID that's likely not happening.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 7:00 PM

Idk, LSE has really become a clustered mass. All good, just saying. Almost undistinguishable. Would way rather plop cash down at 1000 M. At least there I wouldn't be looking at a dozen neighbors living rooms at night.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:33 AM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: bKLarchitecture

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Idk, LSE has really become a clustered mass. All good, just saying. Almost undistinguishable. Would way rather plop cash down at 1000 M. At least there I wouldn't be looking at a dozen neighbors living rooms at night.
That's an interesting comment. To a *small* degree Lakeshore East is starting to resemble those public housing estates in Hong Kong, see for example this photo on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...ing_Estate.jpg

LSE still looks much better though, because those public housing skyscrapers really are indistinguishable.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 7:05 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
That's an interesting comment. To a *small* degree Lakeshore East is starting to resemble those public housing estates in Hong Kong, see for example this photo on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...ing_Estate.jpg

LSE still looks much better though, because those public housing skyscrapers really are indistinguishable.
Yeesshh... I always think of Hong Kong at night and not that sort of image, but I suppose reality is far more drab. Whenever we complain about architectural diversity in Chicago (particularly during booms where one design is in vogue such as blue glass is right now or beige was last cycle) just remember how bad it could be when architectural diversity isn't a concept or desire.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 10:25 PM

^LSE is turning quite well. LSE Park is lush, varied, well manicured and well used. When Vista is done LSE will have a wide well designed berth to the City RiverWalk, when Cirrus is done it will provide an upgraded access to the harbor and Lake Michigan and Navy Pier, and it already has Randolph street level access to Grant Park. Those are 4 of Chicago's prized park/assets. And the pedway provides weather protected links to the Loop,State St and So Mich Ave and public transit. Whats not to love?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^LSE is turning quite well. LSE Park is lush, varied, well manicured and well used. When Vista is done LSE will have a wide well designed berth to the City RiverWalk, when Cirrus is done it will provide an upgraded access to the harbor and Lake Michigan and Navy Pier, and it already has Randolph street level access to Grant Park. Those are 4 of Chicago's prized park/assets. And the pedway provides weather protected links to the Loop,State St and So Mich Ave and public transit. Whats not to love?
The only complaints I hear from my friends there is the mind bending bright yellow glow that fills their condo now. I gave them DOKA's e-mail ;-)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:56 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Yeesshh... I always think of Hong Kong at night and not that sort of image, but I suppose reality is far more drab. Whenever we complain about architectural diversity in Chicago (particularly during booms where one design is in vogue such as blue glass is right now or beige was last cycle) just remember how bad it could be when architectural diversity isn't a concept or desire.
Eh, Chicago could learn a lot from Hong Kong. Not a lot of Good Architecture(TM) but it's a far more vibrant, diverse, and transit-oriented city.

Also, most of the buildings in Lakeshore East are pretty generic/mediocre anyway (Lancaster, Shoreham, Tides, etc) - might as well be HK.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Eh, Chicago could learn a lot from Hong Kong. Not a lot of Good Architecture(TM) but it's a far more vibrant, diverse, and transit-oriented city.

Also, most of the buildings in Lakeshore East are pretty generic/mediocre anyway (Lancaster, Shoreham, Tides, etc) - might as well be HK.
Most of the architecture in Hong Kong is terrible. I can always tell who has actually been to HK and actually got around to multiple areas by how they talk about its architecture. They have some interesting buildings but thr vast majority of buildings there are concrete monoliths. The "blah" architecture in downtown Chicago is still much better than the "blah" architecture of Hong Kong. There is only a few small areas.of nice architecture there. Don't be fooled by the great night time pictures along the bay. Those are nice but not indicative of how the city actually is. There's only so much you can do when there's storms like typhoons every year. You'll find this reality through SE Asia. There are nice buildings and then theres a lot more not nice at all buildings.

Yeah, the vibrancy of the city is a lot higher but there is also a lot of unhealthy density (i.e. tons of apartments no more than 120 sq ft). It really depends on where you are but be careful what you wish for. I've been to 7 cities in Mainland China and Hong Kong, and some areas of Hong Kong were unlike anything I've seen almost anywhere in the world. I'm all for healthy density and street vibrancy but some of what Ive experienced in HK was not a good level of vibrancy and even worse than anywhere in Manhattan and certainly much worse than anything I've experienced in mainland China. Chicago is more similar to certain areas of cities like Shanghai (believe it or not) which is crowded, but doesn't feel (at least the 3 times I've been there) crazy annoying like HK. In my own opinion, a city like Shanghai is something to strive more for ...central Shanghai i mean..than Hong Kong. But thats just based on my own experience in these cities as well as my own preferences.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 1:32 PM

July 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabra View Post

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:37 AM

Interesting. Cirrus looks to be taller than Cascade now despite poking out of the ground a few weeks behind.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Cirrus looks to be taller than Cascade now despite poking out of the ground a few weeks behind.
I wonder if the condo building has taller floor to ceiling heights than the rentals. That might account for it?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 3:14 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 11:03 PM

July 14

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:16 PM

starting to get excited when i see these now. always thought it was a cool project but i didn't realize how much i hated that little section of our skyline until these concrete beasts began to cover it up.

with the mock facade already up I already know i'll love the final product.

thanks for the pics!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:20 PM

^I'm also liking the facade. . . looks like it will translate better in reality than it does on the renderings. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:08 PM

Glass going up 7/21

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 21, 2020 at 4:08 PM. Reason: IMAGE TOO LARGE

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:07 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Via Earthcam. What an enormous site. Like look at that bus for comparison. Looks like a Prius in comparison. I wonder if those folks near the river are annoyed about the views being blocked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive