HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:51 PM

Bay Area loses half-million jobs in April, California 2.3 milllion. Here are the hardest-hit industries

Unemployment rate in California: 15.5 percent

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/05...ea-layoffs-ui/

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Don't ask if you don't want a response.

My response - as someone who has lived and spent substantial time in all areas of both Austin and Houston - is yes, it does.

Again, what are you suggesting / implying about minorities as it relates to Houston's crime rate?

Because you are really starting to sound like one of those "crimes are only committed by minorities / poor people" types.
Austin has nothing remotely close to Houston’s high crime areas as someone who was raised in Houston (SW Houston near Westbury/ Sharpstown) and has lived in Austin for most of my post college life.

Houston is a traditionally southern town with a historically large black population and a hub for low income immigration.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
I think the thing about certain places that makes them popular is their identity and feeling when you're in them.

For example, when you're in San Francisco, you know you're in San Franscico and it isn't like any other city in the world. Same goes for New York.

LA can be very generic outside of Hollywood. Philly, Boston and Baltimore are all similar, ect.

New York and San Francisco are, in my opinion, the only places no matter where you are in the city limits, you know you're in that respective city. I think that's why people group SF with NYC, not because they're anything alike. In fact, they're pretty different. But definitely the jewels of their respective coasts.

Not sure why this turned into a pissing match about beaches. Beaches in both NYC and SF suck. Try swimming in SF and get caught in a rip current or hypothermia. In NYC, that's just gross.
I can't speak for SF, but once you start to get deep into the outer boroughs NYC does start to have a more typical feel. The NYC vibe is pretty much anywhere there is a subway line, beyond the subway it starts to get pretty regular.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:56 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Bay Area loses half-million jobs in April, California 2.3 milllion. Here are the hardest-hit industries

Unemployment rate in California: 15.5 percent

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/05...ea-layoffs-ui/
Uh this^ from today's bls.gov report.

Every state is in the crapper, in fact NY lost an even higher percentage of jobs than CA.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Austin has nothing remotely close to Houston’s high crime areas
I never said it did.

Quote:
Houston is a traditionally southern town
Really? That's interesting, last I heard Houston was a major city in an MSA of 7 million.

Quote:
with a historically large black population and a hub for low income immigration.
And what, exactly, does that have to do with its crime rate?

Last edited by JAYNYC; May 22, 2020 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
I can't speak for SF, but once you start to get deep into the outer boroughs NYC does start to have a more typical feel. The NYC vibe is pretty much anywhere there is a subway line, beyond the subway it starts to get pretty regular.
Same thing in the Bay Area. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Millbrae (10 miles south of SF) and Sherman Oaks (15 miles north of DTLA).

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Unpopular opinion here (IDGAF), but beaches in and of themselves are super overrated, especially in urban or semi-urban areas. It's like you invest all this time fighting traffic, mass transit and / or parking to walk, lay or otherwise hang out on a filthy, littered, uncomfortably hot or cold swath of sand with a bunch of unsanitary, bad-habit having people overlooking ridiculously polluted water for hours on end.

And for what? So you can brag to "Phil" back in the office on Monday about how much fun you had out at the beach or down on the shore last weekend.

Yeah, I'm good.
Miami's beaches are pretty dope for being in an urban area. I've also heard good things about Chicago's beaches (haven't gone, would like to).

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Same thing in the Bay Area. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Millbrae (10 miles south of SF) and Sherman Oaks (15 miles north of DTLA).
And that's fine. Nobody comes to NYC to visit Ozone Park, Queens or to SF for Hayward.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Can you go hang gliding in Nashville though? That's the most important thing.
IMO, SF is a zillion times better than Nashville, but I'd rather pay $125/sf for a house in Nashville than $1000/sf in SF. Also, Tenn has no state income tax, which is another huge plus.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Don't ask if you don't want a response.

My response - as someone who has lived and spent substantial time in all areas of both Austin and Houston - is yes, it does.

Again, what are you suggesting / implying about minorities as it relates to Houston's crime rate?

Because you are really starting to sound like one of those "crimes are only committed by minorities / poor people" types.
You're reading between the lines hoping I'm being racist with my comments rather than actually compare the two cities and their histories and no, Austin does not have anything close to these Houston neighborhoods. Poor white people commit all kinds of crime but tend to be suburban/ rural rather than urban.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I never said it did.
You did, when some of Houston's worst neighborhoods were compared to Austin:

Quote:

Quote:
Really? That's interesting, last I heard Houston was a major city in an MSA of 7 million.
Wasn't speaking about the 7 million person version.

Quote:
And what, exactly, does that have to do with its crime rate?
I'm not playing this game. You either understand why a population of people have been historically marginalized and the socioeconomic effects or you don't.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:53 PM

SF, Silicon Valley rents plunge in May amid downturn:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...p-15307118.php

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:59 PM

Bay Area will be nation’s coolest housing market in 2020, survey says

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...edium=referral

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Bay Area will be nation’s coolest housing market in 2020, survey says

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...edium=referral
Just in time my lease is up.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:16 PM

"For instance, the San Francisco Bay Area's real estate market, whose vitality highly relies on work visa immigrants, will crash once the immigrants move out, as the tech giants lose their competitiveness due to a lack of talents, which can drag the country into a deeper recession."

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-2...Xfy/index.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:27 PM
Pay it Forward

While I want the Bay Area to shrink back to it's 1950s size, to be practical however, this is stunningly good news! There's no good reason for any major metro region to have a median home price over $1 million and yet that's the case here.

441,000 new units! #WOW that's way more than a drop ib the bucket, that's a tidal wave...that we need.

"...A preliminary goal from the state Department of Housing and Community Development calls for 441,000 new housing units to be built in the Bay Area between 2022 and 2030, more than twice the region’s target from the last eight-year cycle..."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/...-for-bay-area/

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:28 PM

Tech’s Embrace of Remote Work Sends San Francisco Rents Plunging:

Oakland has the strongest rental market, everywhere else is seeing a decline in rents,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...?sref=9x6CDisH

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:22 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Tech’s Embrace of Remote Work Sends San Francisco Rents Plunging:

Oakland has the strongest rental market, everywhere else is seeing a decline in rents,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...?sref=9x6CDisH
I would love to see median rents drop all the way down.

The upper end of the buyers market appears okay I think. At least if we look at this purchase last week of a house in Palo Alto:
Last sold in 2011 for $9 Million
Sold in July 2020 for $40 Million

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/...ign=socialflow

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
SF, Silicon Valley rents plunge in May amid downturn:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...p-15307118.php
It is a very cyclical market. What may be happening now has happened before . . . a number of times. I certainly remember it in 2000-2003.

But always the bounce back results in a higher high.

I do NOT think COVID is in any way the biggest threat to the Bay Area and certainly not to San Francisco. Bad government is. The city in particular is being overrun with trash, open drug/alcohol abuse and people living on the streets in squalor. What nature made beautiful is being made incredibly ugly by people and people who loved the area for its beauty may no longer want to stay amidst the ugliness.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It is a very cyclical market. What may be happening now has happened before . . . a number of times. I certainly remember it in 2000-2003.

But always the bounce back results in a higher high.

I do NOT think COVID is in any way the biggest threat to the Bay Area and certainly not to San Francisco. Bad government is. The city in particular is being overrun with trash, open drug/alcohol abuse and people living on the streets in squalor. What nature made beautiful is being made incredibly ugly by people and people who loved the area for its beauty may no longer want to stay amidst the ugliness.
good

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions