HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 9:08 PM

255 South State Street

Another addition coming to downtown soon:https://www.constructionjournal.com/...784f6540d.html
255 South State Street should expect to start construction next month.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:15 AM
One Thing At A Time

Wow. I’m blown away that Covid hasn’t slowed down more of these projects. Glad to see things moving forward because I’d imagine we will have a recovery lull for a while. I think only 15% of the downtown workforce is actually working downtown right now.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
I think only 15% of the downtown workforce is actually working downtown right now.
I was thinking about this. With a lull in people working downtown, this will reduce both traffic on the roads and the sidewalks. Overall, this could help some projects as they don't need to worry as much about the impact to traffic.

It could allow for easier staging of material trucks and concrete trucks. From a Project Management viewpoint, having to worry less about timing and possible traffic delays can help to speed up projects, if even just slightly.

As for 650 S Main, it is nice to hear that they have a tenant that has already signed for 30% of the space. It sounds like they signed just a few months ago (post COVID). This, plus recent news that Tower 8 (95 S State) is already over 80% leased, should bode well for keeping the momentum going downtown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:31 AM
They all float down here

My concern: we are going to over-develop the office space and do so without any substantial tower (outside Tower 8) and it's going to mothball a great deal of the other proposed towers as there will be no need for a decade-plus time as we inevitably recover from this.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 1:33 PM

Two trends have emerged relating to the Salt Lake City area according to the so called national experts. One is that Salt Lake City will be one of the top 50 biggest Metros to recover the quickest. Another pronounced trend was that the suburban housing market will be very robust for the Wasatch Front. I'm hoping that we will also see a continued demand for housing in the Central Core, especially downtown. If Liberty Sky shows excellent leasing success let's hope that more high-rise towers downtown will follow suit. I believe that the niche for high-rise housing in downtown Salt Lake City is just beginning to respond to the desire. Hopefully, we can get some residential towers like Pantages and Kenningston to follow up after Liberty Sky. Speaking of which, who among you have heard of any additional progress with Pantages or Kennsington or even followup on the latest for The Regent's new plans?

I was just wondering this morning what had happened to the project for the old Telegraph Exchange Building. I hadn't realized until I googled it that Luke Garrott had just covered it a couple of days ago on BuildingSaltLake.com.

Planning commission approves upzone and master plan change at 9th & 9th to save old Telegraph Exchange building - https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/pla...ange-building/

The Salt Lake City Planning Commission recommended approval last week for an upzone and master plan amendment in the heart of the 9th & 9th neighborhood for a 23-unit townhome and historic rehabilitation project.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 31, 2020 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
My concern: we are going to over-develop the office space and do so without any substantial tower (outside Tower 8) and it's going to mothball a great deal of the other proposed towers as there will be no need for a decade-plus time as we inevitably recover from this.
I don't see this as being an issue. I honestly don't expect to see any new Commercial towers going up in the next 3 years.

I know I said it a few years ago, but I think it is still true today, that the majority of the towers built in Salt Lake, including a new tallest, would be Residential.

I know that there are at least 3 more taller (375' +) but I don't expect them to happen for at least 3 years.

During this time however, I do think we will see both Kensington Tower and Hines Utah Theater tower built. I don't know as much about the Regent St project but I am hopeful for that as well.

We do have 2 currently planned 10 story commercial projects, Patrinely phase 2 and Salt Development. I don't see these as taking away from a larger Commercial tower. If anything, I see these as taking away from and slowing down the Lehi and Draper developments.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:39 PM
Space Magi

So I came up with this idea yesterday and mentioned it on Reddit, and the more I think about it the more I like it.

500 S and 600 S are ultra-wide, one-way roads that cleave through downtown and are generally a barrier to pedestrians. In addition, the blocks bounded by these streets have almost no active street use other than the street and parking entrances to the Grand/Little America and the Courthouse. The area south of 600 S is thus effectively isolated from downtown, and this has manifested in it being currently dominated by car dealerships and parking lots. That is now starting to change, and with all of the new development in this area catalyzed by the possibility of a new TRAX stop (650 Main, 6th + Main, the Sears Block, the RL Hotel, etc) perhaps this area needs a rebranding.

Looking at the map of the neighborhoods of SLC, the area is actually fairly ambiguously categorized at the moment. "Downtown" seems to technically go south to 700 S, at which point the "Ballpark" neighborhood begins even though the ballpark itself is down on 1300 S, a full mile away. The Granary District sort of overlaps this area too, but it's focus is somewhat farther west and south. On the RDA Project Area Map, the area roughly corresponds to the "West Temple Gateway" project area but that doesn't include the blocks between Main and State.

My idea is basically to relabel the area from ~600 S to ~900 S, bounded by State Street and 200 W (or some other east/west boundaries), as a new Midtown neighborhood. The new TRAX stop at ~650 Main could then be called the "Midtown" station, and the area could begin to develop its own character under a stronger identity. What do you all think?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Wow. I’m blown away that Covid hasn’t slowed down more of these projects. Glad to see things moving forward because I’d imagine we will have a recovery lull for a while. I think only 15% of the downtown workforce is actually working downtown right now.
^^^
I have been wondering the same thing. Construction in general hasn’t slowed down. I wonder if construction labor in other markets are involved or maybe the airport labor is freed up more to allow for so many projects to move forward? Also, you have to think that the low interest rates are a factor and they want to lock in soon then later. I’d be interested to get some opinions on this.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So I came up with this idea yesterday and mentioned it on Reddit, and the more I think about it the more I like it.

500 S and 600 S are ultra-wide, one-way roads that cleave through downtown and are generally a barrier to pedestrians. In addition, the blocks bounded by these streets have almost no active street use other than the street and parking entrances to the Grand/Little America and the Courthouse. The area south of 600 S is thus effectively isolated from downtown, and this has manifested in it being currently dominated by car dealerships and parking lots. That is now starting to change, and with all of the new development in this area catalyzed by the possibility of a new TRAX stop (650 Main, 6th + Main, the Sears Block, the RL Hotel, etc) perhaps this area needs a rebranding.

Looking at the map of the neighborhoods of SLC, the area is actually fairly ambiguously categorized at the moment. "Downtown" seems to technically go south to 700 S, at which point the "Ballpark" neighborhood begins even though the ballpark itself is down on 1300 S, a full mile away. The Granary District sort of overlaps this area too, but it's focus is somewhat farther west and south. On the RDA Project Area Map, the area roughly corresponds to the "West Temple Gateway" project area but that doesn't include the blocks between Main and State.

My idea is basically to relabel the area from ~600 S to ~900 S, bounded by State Street and 200 W (or some other east/west boundaries), as a new Midtown neighborhood. The new TRAX stop at ~650 Main could then be called the "Midtown" station, and the area could begin to develop its own character under a stronger identity. What do you all think?
I do love the idea of a Midtown area. I would think an area bound from 6th South to 10th South and 2nd East to 3rd West.

Then we can have the area from 1900 South through I-80 and 3rd West to 2nd East be labeled as Uptown. This would help link developments in SLC and SSL into a more cohesive environment. I also like the thought of renaming the 2100 S Trax station as Uptown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 9:22 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I do love the idea of a Midtown area. I would think an area bound from 6th South to 10th South and 2nd East to 3rd West.

Then we can have the area from 1900 South through I-80 and 3rd West to 2nd East be labeled as Uptown. This would help link developments in SLC and SSL into a more cohesive environment. I also like the thought of renaming the 2100 S Trax station as Uptown.
Yeah! I like that a lot. The 2100 S TRAX stop is in SSL though, so I wouldn't be surprised if that city wanted to call the stop "South City" or something. Maybe SSL would rebrand their whole downtown effort as "Uptown" if they were presented the idea, which is better and more catchy than "South City" imo. Regardless, "Central Pointe" is so bland.

It makes sense that these areas are relatively nameless right now because they have lacked a substantial residential presence until recently. With the continuing influx of new residents, I think it would be nice to be able to refer to the areas by more specific names to give them a better sense of place.

EDIT: what do you think of this potential redrawing of the neighborhoods?

Last edited by Atlas; Jul 16, 2020 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 11:32 PM
Space Magi

Maven West today:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:07 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Yeah! I like that a lot. The 2100 S TRAX stop is in SSL though, so I wouldn't be surprised if that city wanted to call the stop "South City" or something. Maybe SSL would rebrand their whole downtown effort as "Uptown" if they were presented the idea, which is better and more catchy than "South City" imo. Regardless, "Central Pointe" is so bland.

It makes sense that these areas are relatively nameless right now because they have lacked a substantial residential presence until recently. With the continuing influx of new residents, I think it would be nice to be able to refer to the areas by more specific names to give them a better sense of place.

EDIT: what do you think of this potential redrawing of the neighborhoods?

I think South City is about as good as you're going to get from South Salt Lake and their branding. The city likely wants to stay away from identifying too much with Salt Lake, as they probably want to be their own city with their own identity. Uptown takes away from that, IMO. It makes the area even less distinguishable from Salt Lake City.

In fact, I am surprised they even went with South City for that project for that reason.

But I don't anticipate South Salt Lake using a term that strips their own identity. Especially since they are clearly trying to create an identity beyond just being a suburban city south of Salt Lake.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:25 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think South City is about as good as you're going to get from South Salt Lake and their branding. The city likely wants to stay away from identifying too much with Salt Lake, as they probably want to be their own city with their own identity. Uptown takes away from that, IMO. It makes the area even less distinguishable from Salt Lake City.

In fact, I am surprised they even went with South City for that project for that reason.

But I don't anticipate South Salt Lake using a term that strips their own identity. Especially since they are clearly trying to create an identity beyond just being a suburban city south of Salt Lake.
I was actually thinking that "Uptown" has the potential to sound more hip than Downtown and that it would be a way of subtly competing with the latter. It simultaneously associates the area with SLC and differentiates it into something unique (more so than the city's actual name).

But they've already gone with South City, so I'm all for calling the adjacent area of SLC Uptown instead.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:29 PM

It's quiet uptown...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:42 PM

It's been a while since we heard from this chap.

Has anybody heard anything new about James Alfrandre, The Kentland Initiatives, Median Development, or Granary Row?

https://www.archpaper.com/2016/01/sa...-wide-streets/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 7:28 PM

Salt Lake City Flag

Three peaks represent Wasatch Front and it's historic power centers (Ogden, Salt Lake City, & Provo)

Star in center represents Salt Lake City as the Capital, and notes its centrality in the Metro.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 8:50 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
I was actually thinking that "Uptown" has the potential to sound more hip than Downtown and that it would be a way of subtly competing with the latter. It simultaneously associates the area with SLC and differentiates it into something unique (more so than the city's actual name).

But they've already gone with South City, so I'm all for calling the adjacent area of SLC Uptown instead.
I think South City at least somewhat distinguishes itself from Salt Lake. But I just don't see them signing off on a title that makes it sound like an extension of Salt Lake City as a neighborhood than its own city.

Even in the proposed map the problem persists: uptown in that map of yours is comparable to a neighborhood in Salt Lake like Ballpark and not the actual downtown of the city.

Plus, and I say this as nicely as possible, South Salt Lake's South City is never going to be a destination area. It's just not.

Back when Deedee Corradini decided to build the baseball stadium on the old Derks Field site (as opposed to the other proposal next to Pioneer Park), she did so because she thought the development of a new AAA baseball stadium would kick start a surge of other development. She believed the new ballpark located there could anchor a downtown that now pushed that far south.

Of course, it never happened.

To be honest, this is the area that should be the focus of the uptown. It allows for Salt Lake to have its own input and there's plenty of potential for significant development that would give it that vibe. On top of that, you already have a stadium to pivot off of, something the city has been downright pathetic in leaning on (especially compared to places like Oklahoma City, Memphis, Indianapolis and Tulsa, who've integrated their stadiums well into the community of their neighborhood).

That's my idea - turn the Ballpark area into the new uptown if need be.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 7:27 AM

I think Midtown is fine, but Central Ninth has really developed into its own thing and should be an official neighborhood. I'm also okay with just South Downtown.

I don't like Uptown at all tbh. I would never understand what's supposed to make it "up town".

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 8:21 AM

Quote:

Looks like someone else had the exact same idea as you Atlas. Apparently we do have a Midtown and its fairly new, only about a year old. I also would love to see the new TRAX stop named "Midtown" Station. It would definitely start placing Midtown on the map because almost nobody knows about it currently, including us on the forum.

https://m.facebook.com/MidtownSLC/
http://www.slcdocs.com/recorder/RCO_List.pdf

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 8:30 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I think Midtown is fine, but Central Ninth has really developed into its own thing and should be an official neighborhood. I'm also okay with just South Downtown.

I don't like Uptown at all tbh. I would never understand what's supposed to make it "up town".
Technically, downtown should be uptown. It'd make sense in the most directional definition of the word (unlike some cities whose uptowns are just named that). Most of Salt Lake City's population is located down from downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West