HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:16 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is online now
disneypilled verhoevenist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: zoom halloween party
Posts: 10,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Smarts has nothing to do with where one went to school. People are under the illusion that Ivy League/ Top Tier = intelligence. No.
we've recreated the aristocracy through a meritocratic veil.

i mean what did we expect would happen with a bunch of fail sons taking up all the air at the top.
__________________
“Went looking for a creation myth
Ended up with a pair of cracked lips
Windows down, scream along
To some America first rap country song”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:58 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I am a Rutgers Alumni, so I gotta give a shout out to Rutgers. Its a fantastic state school. We have a lot of Ivy League talent at Rutgers (professors and researchers), so from a school perspective, it punches way above its weight for a state school.

Its considered one of those quasi/state IVY schools. I believe at one point, there was a push for it to be Ivy League.
Had to go to Wikipedia to refresh my memory on it. Rutgers was one of the 9 colonial colleges. Most of the colonial colleges went on to form the Ivy League, except for Rutgers and William & Mary.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:01 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,564
case western is the top ranked college in ohio for 2020.

https://case.edu/about/rankings.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:42 PM
homebucket homebucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Bay
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Smarts has nothing to do with where one went to school. People are under the illusion that Ivy League/ Top Tier = intelligence. No.
Ron DeSantis went to Yale for undergrad and Harvard law. That tells you all you need to know about Ivy League not necessarily correlating with intelligence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:58 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Ron DeSantis went to Yale for undergrad and Harvard law. That tells you all you need to know about Ivy League not necessarily correlating with intelligence.
GW Bush went to Yale.

Donald Trump went to Penn... but only for 2 years (his dad's $ and his brother's college buddy got him in as a transfer from Fordham).


The HYP Club (Harvard Yale Princeton) remains a bastion of the "privileged white boy" set, matriculating regardless of their grades/scores/accomplishments. Administrations still LOVE them big "family gifts" and influential ties.

I don't know much about DeSantis, but with a last name like that, he's certainly not in the Yalie set.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:00 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is offline
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 30,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
As a UCLA grad, I can confirm that Chapman students are no less smart than UCLA students. In fact, Chapman students, on average, are probably smarter.

I don't know about the film schools, though.
Anyone who pays over $54,000 a year in tuition to a college that barely has any name recognition outside of Orange County is a dumbass. I mean, for fuck's sake, they gave me a BA in English.

My primary reason for attending (after barely getting accepted) was to get the hell out of Phoenix/Ahwatukee. I did okay, but it was ultimately a waste of time/resources obtaining a useless degree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:08 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is offline
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 30,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Smarts has nothing to do with where one went to school. People are under the illusion that Ivy League/ Top Tier = intelligence. No.
Absolutely, but prestige/recognition is key. The Big Ten schools, Ivies and most of the UC's have that in spades.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:12 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Absolutely, but prestige/recognition is key. The Big Ten schools, Ivies and most of the UC's have that in spades.
The ACC schools have the prestige/recognition as well, and more so than the Big Ten schools.

As a group, the "upper 10" of the ACC schools is superior to any other athletic conference's best ten (save the Ivy League, but they only have 8, so we won't let them play).

Duke
Virginia
North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Georgia Tech
Miami
Wake Forest
Boston College
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse

Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
Florida State
Louisville

Last edited by pj3000; Jul 16, 2020 at 6:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:17 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The ACC schools have the prestige/recognition as well, and more so than the Big Ten schools.

The "upper 10" of the ACC schools is superior to any other athletic conference's best ten (save the Ivy League).

Duke
Virginia
North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Georgia Tech
Miami
Boston College
Notre Dame
Pitt
Wake Forest
Syracuse

Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
Florida State
Louisville

You should normalize by number of schools in the conference

But the top 10 (out of 12!) schools of the PAC-12 are no slouches.

Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC
Washington
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Oregon
ASU


WSU
OSU
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:18 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

I don't know much about DeSantis, but with a last name like that, he's certainly not in the Yalie set.
This is all you need to know about DeSantis.

Video Link
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:22 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The ACC schools have the prestige/recognition as well, and more so than the Big Ten schools.

As a group, the "upper 10" of the ACC schools is superior to any other athletic conference's best ten (save the Ivy League).

Duke
Virginia
North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Georgia Tech
Miami
Wake Forest
Boston College
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse

Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
Florida State
Louisville
Meh, Pitt and Notre Dame are representative of the ACC as much as Rutgers and Maryland are representative of the Big 10.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:23 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
You should normalize by number of schools in the conference

But the top 10 (out of 12!) schools of the PAC-12 are no slouches.

Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC
Washington
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Oregon
ASU


WSU
OSU
True, but easy top 10 lists are what we like around here

Yeah, the PAC-12 is arguably in a battle for 2nd with the Big Ten. The top 5 of the PAC is the best top 5, without a doubt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:25 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is offline
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 30,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The ACC schools have the prestige/recognition as well, and more so than the Big Ten schools.
Right, my bad. I forgot about the ACC. Still don't know why, other than money, Maryland left for the Big Ten.

And seriously, as easy as it is for most to associate the Big Ten and ACC with athletics (especially football and basketball), both are research consortiums first and foremost.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:26 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 27,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Absolutely, but prestige/recognition is key. The Big Ten schools, Ivies and most of the UC's have that in spades.
Up to a certain point. Straight out of college and into your 30's, having a degree from one of these institutions opens up a lot of doors but I had an ex-girlfriend who got her law degree from UNC and didn't amount to shit while my wife who went to U of Houston did well in her career.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:30 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Up to a certain point. Straight out of college and into your 30's, having a degree from one of these institutions opens up a lot of doors but I had an ex-girlfriend who got her law degree from UNC and didn't amount to shit while my wife who went to U of Houston did well in her career.
Dodged a bullet?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:42 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Meh, Pitt and Notre Dame are representative of the ACC as much as Rutgers and Maryland are representative of the Big 10.
Well maybe, though I'm not really sure what that means anymore. They are, in fact, ACC members. The ACC basically just absorbed who was most beneficial to them from the old Big East.

If Georgetown had a D-1 football team, they would've been invited too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:43 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
True, but easy top 10 lists are what we like around here

Yeah, the PAC-12 is arguably in a battle for 2nd with the Big Ten. The top 5 of the PAC is the best top 5, without a doubt.
If UChicago hadn't quit the Big Ten forever ago...
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:48 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
If UChicago hadn't quit the Big Ten forever ago...
The Maroons of ol' Amos Alonzo would've had something to say about about all this ranking BS!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:55 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Well maybe, though I'm not really sure what that means anymore. They are, in fact, ACC members. The ACC basically just absorbed who was most beneficial to them from the old Big East.

If Georgetown had a D-1 football team, they would've been invited too.
Notre Dame should be in the Big 10. The only reason it makes sense for them not to be is football TV contracts (granted, not an insignificant detail).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:59 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Notre Dame should be in the Big 10. The only reason it makes sense for them not to be is football TV contracts (granted, not an insignificant detail).
They probably wouldn't be able to play Stanford every year then though, so how would I be able to go watch the Cardinal lose to them every two years
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.